You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General One of the Most Moving Game Trailers Ever... (and others)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
FlipFrame

Default One of the Most Moving Game Trailers Ever... (and others)

I promise you this is worth a viewing...

Its Gears of War, all in-engine and probably not what you'd expect from a trailer about a game such as this.

Cheers
Old 10-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
gin soaked boy

Yeah, I loved it. Alledgely the trailer was directed by David Fincher?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Moving? Eh. Maybe if I believed it in any way reflected the game I'd be impressed. But what's so moving about juxtaposing a cinematic imitation of shooter gameplay with angsty lyrics which don't seem to be in any way related?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Yeah, I loved it. Alledgely the trailer was directed by David Fincher?
Dunno...did you read this somewhere?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Moving? Eh. Maybe if I believed it in any way reflected the game I'd be impressed. But what's so moving about juxtaposing a cinematic imitation of shooter gameplay with angsty lyrics which don't seem to be in any way related?
Um, perhaps the devasation of war? The loss? Pretty related to me..."Mad World" and the context of the story?
Old 10-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
The overarching theme of the game is destroyed beauty. And Mad World lyrics are not angsty, emo bad nu metal is angsty (emo is whiny ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG View Post
Dunno...did you read this somewhere?
I read that somewhere tonight, yes, but can't find it anymore.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #7

Wasn't that a Tears for Fears song?

Don't actually like the song, but it worked well for the vid. No doubt its in-engine, but I am still worried about the non-stop pop-n-shoot gameplay. Is there anything else to it? Why go to such lengths to make a shooter with one basic gameplay mechanic?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
FlipFrame

Yep, Tears for Fears originally...this is Michael Andrews and Gary Jules from the Donnie Darko soundtrack...

...and you're right Insane, it was indeed David Fincher (who I did not know was the director of Fight Club)

Can't believe I watched this thing at least twenty times today....sheesh.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:33 PM   #9
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Song was fine, but the video didn't impress me. Sure, it looked great! But it only worked on me for as long as the main character wasn't shooting stuff.

When he turned over that broken statue's head.. that was cool.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:19 AM   #10
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictimOfScience View Post
Don't actually like the song, but it worked well for the vid. No doubt its in-engine, but I am still worried about the non-stop pop-n-shoot gameplay. Is there anything else to it? Why go to such lengths to make a shooter with one basic gameplay mechanic?
In one of their older podcasts the 1UP guys said that the game actually feels more like an action adventure and not just a basic shooter. Don't know if that's right, but we'll find out soon enough.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:44 AM   #11
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The problem I have with this trailer is that the only thing that actually makes it about the horrors of war are the music and the bit where he picks up the statue's face. Mad World's tempo doesn't fit with any of the action in the video; it's like someone just changed the music track at the last second. Somebody could easily rewrite the music and turn it into a dramatic, action-orientated trailer which crescendos up to the end. And then it would just be like any other trailer, only with more sweeping camera movements.

It looks nice, don't get me wrong. I'm just failing to see how it's either moving or spectacular.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:20 AM   #12
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Somebody could easily rewrite the music and turn it into a dramatic, action-orientated trailer which crescendos up to the end. And then it would just be like any other trailer, only with more sweeping camera movements.
You said it yourself. This trailer is great just because it's different (well, and because it has a totally amazing boss creature in it ). I also noticed the music doesn't really synch well with what was being shown, but the funny thing is it works beautifully.

Don't get me wrong, I don't find it moving either, but it's just so damn cool.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:33 AM   #13
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm not convinced that a trailer that would be like any other if it weren't for some ill-fitting music is really worth of note, but fine .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:45 AM   #14
is not wierd

First of all fuck David Fincher even if he didn't do this trailer and second of all any trailer set to "Mad World" is pretentious garbage.

This trailer blows.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:50 AM   #15
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
First of all fuck David Fincher even if he didn't do this trailer and second of all any trailer set to "Mad World" is pretentious garbage.

This trailer blows.
I wasn't particularly impressed either. I'll probably buy this game for other reasons anyway, but I heard A LOT of hype about this trailer in another forum...people saying stuff like, "How many times have you just pushed Play and stared in shock at this amazing trailer?!" So, maybe I got my hopes up too much... I watched the trailer on high def too, at IGN. The GAME looks cool, but the trailer itself really didn't do anything for me.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:54 AM   #16
gin soaked boy

I've seen it at least twenty times already and can't help watching it again and again and again.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:58 AM   #17
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

This is so funny. I JUST watched this trailer. I've been following Gears for a while and I can't wait to play it... but this trailer was just a little too predictable and cliche for me. Sad, moving song played over game footage.... yawn.

I was thinking if they would have had SOME sound FX mirroring the actual action on the screen it may have been more effective. Instead, I just came away thinking it was all very forced... kind of like the way I feel about "Donnie Darko". Everyone sees so much depth in that damn film but I'm just like uh... seemed to be different and "deep" for the sake of being a "deep indie film" in my opinion.

Still, I can't wait to play the game. As for the trailer, bleh.

love the old song though.

David Fincher's BEST work as far as I'm concerned? His work with MADONNA (Express Yourself, Vogue, and the absolutely AMAZING video BAD GIRL featuring Christopher fucking Walken. If you haven't seen it.. check it out!) and the film ALIEN 3.

I just LOVE David Fincher's work.. all those gorgeous blues and yellows he uses. The dark moody atmosphere is evident in everything he does. It all deserves to be seen. His cinematography skills are brilliant.

I dunno what the fuss is over his work on the trailer though.

Last edited by eriq; 10-26-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #18
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

It was neat, nothing more.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #19
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I liked it, but they could have left out the action sequence, it didn´t work with the music, but nevertheless, incredible good looking..
Old 10-26-2006, 02:43 PM   #20
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq View Post
I just LOVE David Fincher's work.. all those gorgeous blues and yellows he uses. The dark moody atmosphere is evident in everything he does. It all deserves to be seen. His cinematography skills are brilliant.

I dunno what the fuss is over his work on the trailer though.
His background in music videos is always pretty apparent. His movies are more exercises in film school trickery and style than real substance. I'm pretty sure he's the most overrated director working today.