You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General You Lose (X360 vs. PS3)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #641
gin soaked boy

"Yeah, no price drops yet, sorry folks. We're not so stupid not to take advantage of all those morons who'll be more than willing to throw us bucketfuls of money come launch."

The switch to software emulation is not the problem, the problem is that it's going to shorten the compatibility list, probably significantly. To add insult to injury, they already admitted they wouldn't be wasting any resources on adding more games to the initial list. But let's see the list before jumping to any conclusions.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:17 AM   #642
Psychonaut

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=44214

ROFLMAO
Old 02-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #643
merely human

That is soooo fooking cruel!! Heh heh....
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #644
FlipFrame

Man Trep is in a good mood!

...and yea, that was actually a pretty good song to boot.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #645
merely human

They could make it a commercial release but Sony, I'm sure, would sue them for slander.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #646

The song's not original though, just the lyrics are original. I think.

Anyway, I liked it - even if I'm not a big fan of the "bash Sony contest".
Old 02-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #647
merely human

Sony did set themselves up to be bashed, you must admit.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #648
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
The song's not original though, just the lyrics are original. I think.

Anyway, I liked it - even if I'm not a big fan of the "bash Sony contest".
The original is by the The Fray "How to save a life"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee1TkygONOk

It has been used in a few US tv shows and was a big hit in the UK.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #649
merely human

Latest drivel from Phil Harrison...

Phil Harrison: We Are Under No Pressure to Drop PS3's Price | GameDaily BIZ, 2/26/2007

Quote:
Talk to the people who run GameStop, talk to the people who run BestBuy, and they'll tell you that the demand is unprecedented and that they give us kudos for managing to keep a very sophisticated supply chain moving.
Erm.......
Old 02-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #650
gin soaked boy

The man is crazy just saying what he has to say.

Speaking of demand, this is also interesting (definitely read the comments, too). And it continues.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #651

XBox vs. PS2. You know which one won and is still selling *hitloads. It's not about the specs, and you can still play your old PS2 games on PS3.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #652
Psychonaut

Not on the European models.

Beside this is about the 360 and PS3 not yesterdays models.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #653
merely human

Yes, please do not bring the PS2 into this. That's sort of a moot point anyway, as many last gen games can be played respectively on both X360 and the PS3.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #654
Homer of Kittens

One can argue that the 360 has loads of consoles on the shelves as well, and it is being killed by the Wii.

Firefox rules
Old 02-26-2007, 03:03 PM   #655
Psychonaut

The interesting thing I find about the PS3 in the UK is the availability of still being able to pre-order and get a console on launch day.

All the stores are still advertising weeks after the pre-orders started.

The 360 pre-orders disappeared in days and you had wait a couple of months to get one.

I don't think the PS3 is going to do great business at launch.

Compare that to the Wii which 2 months after lauch you still can't find in the shops for love nor money.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #656
Psychonaut

PS. on the one good note in Sony's favour they announced today that the RRP of PS3 games will be £39.99 a whole £10 less than the RRP of Xbox360 games.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #657
merely human

That's good. Unfortunately I doubt that'll offset the very high price of the console. That's considered one of the worst hurdles for Sony. What with the few worthy exclusive titles that Sony have (and will have for the next year at least), and with many third party devs trying to increase their revenue (to offset the obscene amount of money it now takes to produce next gen console games) by going multiplatform, it'd certainly be financial 'seppuku' for Sony to reduce the price of the PS3.

They've trapped themselves in a corner. They can't sell enough consoles because it's too expensive with not a large enough library of games to even merit buying the console, and then many third party devs are now hesitant to make exclusive games for them because there isn't a large enough install base (i.e. PS3 owners). It's a conundrum. No wonder Sony is now trying to beef up its own console software division to 1000 men strong.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #658
Homer of Kittens

Sony has dug themselves in a deep hole, but I can see how things might change in a year or 2.

The first party team of Sony is top notch, and with Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, team ICO, Factor 5 and the Santa Monica branch, the prospects for a first party ace library that might lure the people on the fence is high.

Also, with blu-ray manufacturing getting cheaper, I can see a price drop. Sony executives have alluded to it before, and regardless what Harrison is saying in the interview, he will never reveal a price drop (for the sole reason not to encourage people to wait for one instead of buying it now ).

But for all this to happen, Sony needs to bring their shit together and I do believe they can and will. They have to, to stay profitable and in the gaming business.

Firefox rules
Old 02-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #659
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccsie View Post
The first party team of Sony is top notch, and with Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, team ICO, Factor 5 and the Santa Monica branch, the prospects for a first party ace library that might lure the people on the fence is high.
They would need to have much better relations with third party devs as well. Thus far they've been total a-holes in that department.

Quote:
Also, with blu-ray manufacturing getting cheaper, I can see a price drop. Sony executives have alluded to it before, and regardless what Harrison is saying in the interview, he will never reveal a price drop (for the sole reason not to encourage people to wait for one instead of buying it now ).
They need to put a huge effort, as well, into pushing Blu-ray movies to help generate more revenue. One of their stupidest - if not THE stupidest - mistakes is their choice to remain stubborn over proprietary formats. They seriously need to grow the hell up and move beyond that.

Quote:
But for all this to happen, Sony needs to bring their shit together and I do believe they can and will. They have to, to stay profitable and in the gaming business.
Yes, and one of the VERY first things they need to do is drop to their knees and OWN UP to all the f*** ups they've done and promise to deliver much better service, including respecting the developers and all their customers. Yeah, that means nuking the existing public relations system and replacing it with a better one.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:38 PM   #660
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
Actually, Insomniac, Sucker Punch and Factor 5 are second/third party. I still don't think they'd be changing sides anytime soon, but just saying...

I agree Sony are not completely done for, but Microsoft and Nintendo are in excellent positions and it's definitely going to be an uphill struggle with an uncertain outcome.