You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo Revolution named. Prepare to cry.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2006, 12:09 PM   #101
is not wierd

I dunno, I haven't found it that terrible. Wii actually isn't that bad of a name compared to, say, Gizmondo. Or Neo-Geo. Or Gameboy.

Just face it, consoles have bad names.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #102
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy1
..then I seen the controller. Then I said forget it. I'm old school. If it ain't broke don't fix it. IMO.
They're just offering another solution to next generation gaming. Game graphics aren't broke either. Why fix them, then? Your XBox isn't broke. Why buy another one? I could go on, but I think you got my point. And this thread is about bitching about the name, anyway, so I'm just straying off-topic.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #103

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle

Well, since the focus seems to be on why the name 'Wii' is poor, why not's let focus on the competition.

I mean really, is Sony calling their system Playstation 3, all that brilliant?

Didn't they just do that with the Playstation 2?

It is what it is, and nothing more.

The name 'Wii' is interesting because it's so freakin' out of the box, so radical, that it has everybody talking. The gaming World has been set alight by it's fans, it's haters, it's even piqued the interest of those who before, have probably never given a damn!

It's certainly served it's purpose.

Bottom line, people are gonna have their attention on Nintendo at E3, either because they 'get it' or they wanna see how much deeper they bury their own grave!

The name 'Wii' does not have much love over the english speaking internet, that's blatantly obvious.

But the fact is, it's drawn more attention toward Nintendo.

It hasn't made me want the console any less, and it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for E3.

I'm just as excited as I was 24 hours ago. .
Old 04-28-2006, 01:36 PM   #104
Psychonaut

Your right of course.

It's still the same console and the controller is just as revolutionary as before.

I'm sure we will all be playing with our Wii sticks for hours of fun.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvielle
Well, since the focus seems to be on why the name 'Wii' is poor, why not's let focus on the competition.

I mean really, is Sony calling their system Playstation 3, all that brilliant?

Didn't they just do that with the Playstation 2?
It's an identifiable brand that everyone already knows and trusts. Not brilliant, but effective.

Quote:
The name 'Wii' is interesting because it's so freakin' out of the box, so radical, that it has everybody talking. The gaming World has been set alight by it's fans, it's haters, it's even piqued the interest of those who before, have probably never given a damn!

It's certainly served it's purpose.
The Segway got a lot of people talking too. It was a punchline for a good while, in fact. Any publicity is not always good publicity.

And again, the issue isn't with the concept of the name (though I think it's massively over-thought and full of bullshit marketing philosophy), it's with the name itself. Linguistically, "Wii" is a mess for a product name. And since Nintendo's stated purpose has been to get more non-gamers playing this generation, a childish name isn't going to do them any favors.

Could they survive the name and thrive despite it? Of course. But they shouldn't have to survive the product's name, it should be helping them.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:17 PM   #106
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
And again, the issue isn't with the concept of the name (though I think it's massively over-thought and full of bullshit marketing philosophy), it's with the name itself. Linguistically, "Wii" is a mess for a product name. And since Nintendo's stated purpose has been to get more non-gamers playing this generation, a childish name isn't going to do them any favors.

How the hell is Wii over though?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #107
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez

Could they survive the name and thrive despite it? Of course. But they shouldn't have to survive the product's name, it should be helping them.
Yes. The point isn't that we think it's a vaguely comical name, and are going to laugh at it and then go and buy the thing; the issue is that the very non-gamers that the product is setting out to reach may well be put off by the juvenile name. I'm sure that Nintendo have reasons for changing the name - they've given some of them - and it makes me no less likely to buy the console. But when they already had a name that made sense, identified the machine, was simple and meant something great, it strikes me as just a tad silly to rename it to something as stupid as this, particularly as at best it won't harm the product.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #108
woof

Come to think of it I keep thinking of French when I hear Wii...
Old 04-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #109
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Yes. The point isn't that we think it's a vaguely comical name, and are going to laugh at it and then go and buy the thing; the issue is that the very non-gamers that the product is setting out to reach may well be put off by the juvenile name. I'm sure that Nintendo have reasons for changing the name - they've given some of them - and it makes me no less likely to buy the console. But when they already had a name that made sense, identified the machine, was simple and meant something great, it strikes me as just a tad silly to rename it to something as stupid as this, particularly as at best it won't harm the product.
Right, it sounds like a toddler toy. Might as well have called it "bap" or "sneed" or "caca."
Old 04-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #110
gin soaked boy

What are you people talking about? It's not called Wee, it's Wii and as such can be also interpreted as "we" or just plain "v". Nothing childish about it, nothing childish about its design, nothing childish about its functionality.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #111
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

How is this bad publicity? Please, if you can't trust nintendo after all these decades, who can you trust. Nintendo was there way before Sony or Microsoft, they have many, many consoles in their life time, and Nintendo knows more about the industry than Microsft & Sony, because they've been making amazing and legendary games over the years. The gamecube wasen't a major success, but it still did well, and who could live without Metroid? Zelda or dare I say Mario? And all the other great games over the many years. Specially now that SEGA is working closely with Nintendo.

I think you guys should be more worried about the Play Station 3, not setting a firm release date, not telling us the cost, giving us fake tech trailers. So far Nintendo and Microsoft are looking better. I can't imagine how much the PS3 will cost, if its very low price to compete with the 360 then Sony will go bankrupt, specially over loses loads of profit from their PS2 & PSP success going towards the PS3.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
What are you people talking about? It's not called Wee, it's Wii and as such can be also interpreted as "we" or just plain "v". Nothing childish about it, nothing childish about its design, nothing childish about its functionality.
"Wee," by itself, sounds like baby talk to many english speakers (and yes, I know how it's spelled, but that doesn't mean anything when you have to pronounce it). The fact that many people have come to this conclusion says as much.

I've asked non-gamers what they think of the name. They think it's ridiculous. I asked my parents what they think of the name. They think it sounds vaguely childish.

I mean, you can scream that it's a great name and nobody will interpret it that way, but the fact that many people are interpreting it that way right now kind of takes the wind out of that argument's sails.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #113
SamNMax

Does anyone else find it a little ironic that they say "it's about Wii" yet they're straying as far away from online aspects as possible? The tagline "It's About Wii" makes me think that the whole thing is about the gaming community getting together over this thing, but obviously that's not the case.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Does anyone else find it a little ironic that they say "it's about Wii" yet they're straying as far away from online aspects as possible? The tagline "It's About Wii" makes me think that the whole thing is about the gaming community getting together over this thing, but obviously that's not the case.
The thing is going to have Wifi out of the box and they've begun to really push their online service with the DS. I have no doubt that this name was chosen at least partially to push their online gaming service.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:14 PM   #115
SamNMax

Maybe, but that's never been and not going to be their main focus. Just seems a little weird to me.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #116
woof

I dont know, Im kinda glad that they arn't making much of a deal about online gaming...

Althought wouldnt the online gaming kinda be similar to how the DS works?
Old 04-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Maybe, but that's never been and not going to be their main focus.
The very first thing announced about the Revolution, before we saw the case or the controller, was that it was going to be online and would let us download games.

Since then, they've been pushing the "innovation" angle for a while, and now they're pushing the "togetherness" angle. Yeah, I'd say it's a huge focus for them this gen, if not their main focus, and the name only solidifies this.

And saying it's "never" been their focus is a bit odd. Console gaming has only been online in any real way for a single decade, which they mostly missed out on. They're getting in a bit late, but it's not as if they're decades behind the rest. And it won't even be their first big online system... that's the DS.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #118

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle

Well, I think the reason Nintendo hasn't focused so much on net gaming in the past is because the previous president of the company basically said..."who the hell wants to play games on the internet?".

Well now there is a new guy at the reigns, and as is evidenced by the sneak in appearence of net play on the DS, Nintendo will certainly be focusing on it in the future. Look at the titles that are taking advantage of Wi-fi...Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime Hunters, Tetris -- all HUGE Nintendo licenses. If they're gonna put that sort of attention on a handheld, then it's pretty much a certainty, that their living room hub, will get the same, if not better treatment.

(Also, with the virtual console being a heavily promoted addition to the system, that also is a good nudge in the right direction).

As for how the name will affect sales...*shrug*...none of us will know that till launch day. Right now, we can just speculate and say Nintendo have pissed this generation away (ha ha). *rolls eyes*.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #119
merely human

<-- "My dear, I invite you back to my home so that we may Playstation3 together. Would you like that?"

<-- "Aww, I do like you. You're sweet. I have champagne and oysters at my place, and we can have some nice hot X....box360 with it. Shall we?"

<-- "Hey baby! How 'bout you and me go back to my place and I'll show you my Wii?"

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-28-2006, 06:03 PM   #120
Party On Dudes

this has been a great thread to read, very funny. but the facts are simple and should not be forgotten:

'Wii' is the most stupid name for a console that could have ever been made. That simple.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop