You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General First genuine PS3 tech demos

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2006, 02:36 PM   #61
merely human

So are there any news on the ONLINE GAMING features of the PS3? I haven't heard anything relevant on that aspect, all I've been hearing about is how it's supposed to kick the 360's ass in terms of power, and Blueray this and Blueray that. Blueray Blueray Blueray...
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-02-2006, 02:40 PM   #62
Friendly Server Admin

Known info is that it'll be free, and work a lot like xbox live. That seems to be about it. Chris' last LNC posting has some details:
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/41504
Old 04-02-2006, 02:50 PM   #63
merely human

thanks, tabs.

Quote:
- PS3's online service will feature global online play across the US (presumably referring to North America), PAL regions, and Japan. This likely means that, in other territories, online play will be confined to the particular territory in question.
- Use of Sony's online gaming service will be free. Revenue will come from Xbox Live Marketplace-like microtransactions, as well as in game advertising. Sony will likely use information in users' profiles to deliver context-sensitive ads.
That seems awfully vague compared to what MS has been telling us about the 360. Like they're not playing it up as a marketing strategy.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
I'm sorry, I don't know how to "boil down".
Whoops wrong use of the English language there (or simply a typical Doug sarcastic comment?), I'm confused Anyway, you know what I meant
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
That's not true! Some end up being about StarForce.
*Conspicuously looks the other way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
So are there any news on the ONLINE GAMING features of the PS3? I haven't heard anything relevant on that aspect, all I've been hearing about is how it's supposed to kick the 360's ass in terms of power, and Blueray this and Blueray that. Blueray Blueray Blueray...
Well, it'll supposedly be free of monthly fees, but that's about it as far as I can tell (haven't heard about downloadable games yet). Still, that's a big advantage over the xbox/xbox360 as far as I'm concerned.

edit: ah tabs beat me to it
Old 04-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #65
merely human

Do you think it'll be free service because it may not sport as many features as Xbox Live?
Old 04-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #66
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Whoops wrong use of the English language there (or simply a typical Doug sarcastic comment?), I'm confused Anyway, you know what I meant
It was a parser joke :p
Old 04-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #67

I think it's mainly a direct challenge to Microsoft. If you're talking about voice-enabled multiplayer gaming and "friends"-services, they'll probably include that, although this is just my speculative 2 cents.
Quote:
It was a parser joke :p
*Sigh* I should've played more text adventures
Old 04-02-2006, 03:05 PM   #68
merely human

I wish they'd tell us more about it. Now I'm suspecting they don't even know themselves what amenities will be available for online until just before it comes out. All we keep hearing about is Blueray.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #69

Quote:
I wish they'd tell us more about it. Now I'm suspecting they don't even know themselves what amenities will be available for online until just before it comes out. All we keep hearing about is Blueray.
Same here, but I'm guessing they don't know too much about it themselves And ofcourse they feel they can brag about Blu-ray, since the PS3 will be one of the first (and cheapest) BR players on the market. Personally, I think both formats are doomed to failure already.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #70
merely human

A repeat of their Beta video players?
Old 04-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #71
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Do you think it'll be free service because it may not sport as many features as Xbox Live?
Or because Microsoft is overcharging for the live service? You already pay for Internet, and for the console, and the games, so why pay even more just to play a game online. If PS3 live is free, that's a plus over XBOX live and if it gets popular, might push MS to offer free service as well.

Firefox rules
Old 04-02-2006, 04:51 PM   #72
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
If PS3 live is free, that's a plus over XBOX live and if it gets popular, might push MS to offer free service as well.
The people who benefit most from intense competition are the consumers.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:54 PM   #73
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
The people who benefit most from intense competition are the consumers.
Usually, anyway

(See: Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD )
Old 04-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #74
merely human

Quote:
(See: Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD )

Huh? How so?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #75
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Huh? How so?
Conflicting formats lead to consumer uncertainty, and eventually one of them's going to win and the consumers who chose wrong are screwed. It's like VHS/Betamax, or even what used to be a ridiculous number of competing formats for writing DVDs.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:20 PM   #76

Quote:
A repeat of their Beta video players?
Oh, much worse Aside from Bluray and HD-DVD there are literally like eight different "holographic" storage formats out there battling it out right now, which, besides being 'genuinely' "next-gen" (as opposed to discs) offer more like terabytes on a couple of square inches, whereas HD-DVD offer a mere 15GB (single layer) and 30GB (dual layer) and Blu-ray 25GB/50GB (single/dual). Compare going from 4.7GB to 15/25GB, to the 'gap' between a 1.5MB floppy and a 650MB CD-Rom Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD are doomed already; production prices for discs is too expensive, the market is flooded with 20$ DVD players (and your average consumer will happily buy DVD movies for the coming decade) and indeed the format war itself is turning away customers, as Doug said (sort of). Even early adopters will have to think twice before buying a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player. I'm usually somewhat of an early adopter myself, but I won't be buying either and will gladly wait till a truly revolutionary storage/media format hits the market
Old 04-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #77
merely human

Erm, I'm not a geek so I have NO idea what the hell you're talking about with all that tech jargon. Sorry.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #78
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Erm, I'm not a geek so I have NO idea what the hell you're talking about with all that tech jargon. Sorry.
I don't want to be mean or anything, but considering you are posting on a forum about games...... Welcome to the club is all....
Old 04-02-2006, 06:30 PM   #79
merely human

But I don't know all that tech stuff!!!
Old 04-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #80
Mojoholic

That makes you a shit geek.