You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
gin soaked boy

Default Humor in games

Edge Online has posted a great article about comedy in games from the April issue of Edge magazine. Among other games discussed, LucasArts classics are mentioned as benchmarks for (linear) game humor and Ron Gilbert is invited to spew some wisdom. I heartily recommend reading it.

So what for you are the most memorable funny moments from otherwise serious games? The first thing that comes to my mind is playing through Silent Hill 3 with Heather dressed in the unlockable Princess Heart costume, killing monsters with deadly beams shooting from her eyes.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
merely human

No One Lives Forever. Hands down.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
gin soaked boy

A great game for sure, but not exactly what I'd call serious.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

KOTOR had it's funny moments, particularly with HK-47 and his "meatbag" references.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
merely human

Few things are more wicked funny than a conceited sadistic droid.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
No One Lives Forever. Hands down.
Amen Oh man, too bad I played that game to death, else I'd glady replay it once more (perhaps in a few years time). And I agree with KOTOR completely, definately some weird absurdistic and humourous moments in that one (and the sequel, to a lesser degree). The "Meatbag" discussion with HK was definately one of the better dialogues in the game.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
merely human

"That's the stupidist thing I ever heard! How can you possibly reconstitute a dehydrated human being without serious side effects?!"

- German scientist, No One Lives Forever
Old 04-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #8

Eavesdropping on guards was one of the better experiences in that game, sadly few other similar games really took advantage of those moments. Today's shooters could learn a lot from NOLF.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #9
merely human

Remember eavesdropping on that one fellow behind a door in the corridor leading to the Baroness's lair? He was saying the sweetest, most romantic, and even titillating come-ons to someone. And when you opened the door it turned out that the lucky recipient of his affections was
Spoiler:
a goat.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:32 PM   #10

ROTFLMAOOMGLOLOL11!!one Yeah, brilliant stuff, although how you remember exactly where and when you heard what amazes me, and I played the game several times! Talk about an elephant's memory
Old 04-05-2006, 12:28 AM   #11
A Servicable Villain

I only played NOLF2, but I'd like to believe it was just as funny as its predecessor.

In fact, NOLF's lightheartedness was exactly the reason it was so spinechilling when it then DID turn to more dramatic events. That level where you first meet that supersoldier thingy in an abandoned lab... spinechilling atmosphere.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:38 AM   #12
merely human

The first NOLF was more concentrated and potent in its humour, though. It's as if you couldn't get away from it if you tried, but you didn't want to try because it was so good.

I ended up repeating that fist fight with Armstrong in the bombed out chalet over and over because I couldn't stop laughing enough to concentrate. The pain voices for Cate were so spot on, she shrieked like teenager whenever Armstrong hit her.

Flux, you seriously need to play NOLF 1.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:45 AM   #13
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

NOLF is one of the greatest humour based games out there. I also loved NOLF2, but the humour of NOLF1 is really special.

"HANS! Your dog vent doo doo over here!"
Old 04-05-2006, 12:48 AM   #14
merely human

Male space cad: "I think I had a little too much to drink, 'cause you're starting to look good."

Pretty girl: "Excuse me?"

Male space cad: "I'm serious. I think I can fall madly in bed with you."

Pretty girl: "Do you expect to get anywhere with that kind of filth?"

Male space cad: "Aw, c'mon sweetheart, don't be uptight. I'll take good care of you."

Pretty girl: "Heh, you're about to get slapped, cowboy!"

Male space cad: "Why?"

Pretty girl: "Because you obviously need to learn some manners."

Male space cad: "Why don't you spank me instead?"

- space station level, No One Lives Forever
Old 04-05-2006, 12:51 AM   #15
Sierra Junkie

No more...I want to replay Nolf again....
Old 04-05-2006, 12:56 AM   #16
merely human

Moroccan vendor: "I have a verrrry fine monkey for you. Only 20 dollars American."

Evil H.A.R.M. thug: "Sorry, I don't want a monkey."

Moroccan vendor: "What do you mean?"

Evil H.A.R.M. thug: "I said I don't want a monkey."

Moroccan vendor: "Why not?"

Evil H.A.R.M. thug: "Because I don't like monkeys! Now get that filthy beast away from me!"

Moroccan vendor: "Are you insulting my monkey?!!!"

- Morocco level, No One Lives Forever
Old 04-05-2006, 12:57 AM   #17
Sierra Junkie

Must.......resist..........urge To Play................
Old 04-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #18
Schättenjager

Actally what was making game damn funny,charming!? cockney accent no doubt
Old 04-06-2006, 08:46 AM   #19

Mercenary. The 12939 unit, which made absolutely no sense at all in any context of the game, unless you happened to walk around behind it and take a look.

Being wireframe graphics, you could suddenly see the number on the front of the box, backwards - PEPSI.

That, and of course the cheese, which was explained in the museum in Damocles.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:25 PM   #20
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Few things are more wicked funny than a conceited sadistic droid.

A poor zombie (or its body, so to speak) misapplied as an advertising pillar, for example. Have some news? Pin it on! (Planescape:Torment).