You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Which of the Silent Hill's is your favorite?

View Poll Results: My favorite Silent Hill would be:
Silent Hill 7 17.50%
Silent Hill 2 28 70.00%
Sillent Hill 3 2 5.00%
Silent Hill 4 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
Explorer of the uncharted

Default Which of the Silent Hill's is your favorite?

I'm curious about my fellow fourm meber's tastes.
Do not be afraid to discuss your choice, or lack of one for that matter.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:41 AM   #2
Chris Barraclough

I've gotta say the first one, although 2 is close behind. At the time there was just nothing like it, at least nothing I'd seen. Coming from the dog-through-window jump scares of Resident Evil to actual terrifying psychological horror was amazing. I remember staying up all night with a couple of friends playing it, we were palming the controller off to each other at bits we were too freaked to do ourselves 2 had the same effect, with freaky monsters like Pyramid Head and some really creepy locations.

I never played the whole of 3 and I got bored with 4 in the second half of the game, although I'd have liked to have seen what happened.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 01-03-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I don't see a option for those who haven't played it.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-03-2006, 07:03 AM   #4
A Servicable Villain

I've only played through a large part of three last weekend, so I have no right to speak. I've seen some bits of 2 as well and that was immediately far scarier. But again, I haven't played it myself.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:17 AM   #5

I voted for the second one, but 1 and 3 are not far behind. All three are excellent games. Never cared for the fourth game though. More or less every new element in that game, such as recurring enemies and more focus on action, meant a step in the wrong direction for the series IMO.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
OUATIJ Creator

Silent Hill 2
Old 01-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I just picked up Silent Hill 2 at Fry's (in the box) for $9.99. It was the only one of the four they had. Everyone's been raving about Silent Hill so I thought I'd give it a go. It's nice they have a beginner setting.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:17 AM   #8
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Silent 2 is brilliant. SH1 and 4 are almost as good. SH3 is pretty good.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 01-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #9
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

If only I'd bought the PC version of Silent Hill 2 when it was actually available ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #10

1 has the best atmosphere
2 has the best story and "villain"
3 has the best gameplay
4 has the best concept

I'm leaning towards 2, but 1 is very, very close behind.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

My vot was 2, The story was great and the Music was amazing.
The cast was also briliant.
There was allot of hidden meaning in it aswell, with a huge twist at the end

Theres still so many questions i have about the second one, I need to check some fansites to see if the can be answered

the only one i havent played is 4, 3 was just ok so i was never too interested in 4...I might try looking it up on the PC
Old 01-03-2006, 03:32 PM   #12
Epinionated.

Currently replaying 3. It has the WORST game introduction ever in the dream sequence, but when Heather wakes up in the café, it's hard not to be rapt.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #13
Headbanger

I've played all except for the first and I think the second one is the best. SH3 was the weakest in the series IMO.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #14
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
I've played all except for the first and I think the second one is the best. SH3 was the weakest in the series IMO.
You should really play The first one before you play 3 as they are directly linked to each other, 3 is really part 2 of the original silent hills story line
Old 01-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #15
merely human

Silent Hill, Silent Hill 3.

I haven't yet played SH4, but I have played the first three.

SH1, I think, is the strongest and most effective in terms of pure atmosphere. The sound design alone is one of the most powerful, you experience a good deal of the game through the sound, whether that be the suddenly shifting music track that sends a chill through your spine, the distant clanging of metal, or the wailing of the skinless babies in the almost pitch black corridors of Midwich Elementary School. Part of the freakiness of SH1 was the fact that you just didn't have any fricking idea what the hell was going on, you simply knew that Harry needed to find his vanished daughter through the severe fog and darkness.

SH1, I think, introduced us to the experience of fear and horror through the helplessness and sheer vulnerability of an everyday type of character. Harry Mason is NOT a Marine or government agent, he's a lousy shot with a gun, and it's very easy for him to die.

After that, I think SH2 is the next most powerful for me, but for different reasons. SH2 was extremely effective for its incredible poignancy. The entire story and gameworld was permeated with such a profound sadness and despair, and there was NOWHERE you could run to escape it. Factor that in with some of the most bizarre and disturbing creatures and set pieces (peaking voyeuristically thorugh the slats of a closet door at a Pyramidhead seemingly fornicating with a mannequin monster inspired by the weird sculptures of artist Hans Bellmer, for example), and such psychological symbols as the spitting image of your dead wife in a mysterious trampy young woman.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #16
capsized.

It's only if you hear games like the original Silent Hill in action that you realize how goddamn boring the audio design of video games in general is. Because it scared the bejesus outta me, my vote goes to this one. Though the second one comes close and features the most mature plotline and narrative you have ever encountered in a video game.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #17

Since you guys have played Silent Hill, does this make any sense to you?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #18
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Silent Hill, Silent Hill 3.

I haven't yet played SH4, but I have played the first three.

SH1, I think, is the strongest and most effective in terms of pure atmosphere. The sound design alone is one of the most powerful, you experience a good deal of the game through the sound, whether that be the suddenly shifting music track that sends a chill through your spine, the distant clanging of metal, or the wailing of the skinless babies in the almost pitch black corridors of Midwich Elementary School. Part of the freakiness of SH1 was the fact that you just didn't have any fricking idea what the hell was going on, you simply knew that Harry needed to find his vanished daughter through the severe fog and darkness.

SH1, I think, introduced us to the experience of fear and horror through the helplessness and sheer vulnerability of an everyday type of character. Harry Mason is NOT a Marine or government agent, he's a lousy shot with a gun, and it's very easy for him to die.

After that, I think SH2 is the next most powerful for me, but for different reasons. SH2 was extremely effective for its incredible poignancy. The entire story and gameworld was permeated with such a profound sadness and despair, and there was NOWHERE you could run to escape it. Factor that in with some of the most bizarre and disturbing creatures and set pieces (peaking voyeuristically thorugh the slats of a closet door at a Pyramidhead seemingly fornicating with a mannequin monster inspired by the weird sculptures of artist Hans Bellmer, for example), and such psychological symbols as the spitting image of your dead wife in a mysterious trampy young woman.
I dont remember SH1 having many songs, it was mostly all atmosphere noise.
The only songs i can remember are the main theme, the one after after lisa and the credits. there could be one or two more...it was kinda annoying buying the sound track and finding it was pretty much just the schreeches the SH2 sound track is great but a small pin hole scratch on the backing of my copy has somehow caused every track to start skipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
Since you guys have played Silent Hill, does this make any sense to you?
wow what a load of crap....although what i think is supposed to be going on is:
James or some guys radio oes off cause pyramid head is near
Pyramid head hears it and comes in...and for some reason hes george bush?
then james gets stabbed
Old 01-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
wow what a load of crap....although what i think is supposed to be going on is:
James or some guys radio oes off cause pyramid head is near
Pyramid head hears it and comes in...and for some reason hes george bush?
then james gets stabbed
It's not George Bush, but you're probably right about the rest. I find it quite funny, so I was just wondering what game elements that had.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #20
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I dont remember SH1 having many songs, it was mostly all atmosphere noise.
The only songs i can remember are the main theme, the one after after lisa and the credits. there could be one or two more...it was kinda annoying buying the sound track and finding it was pretty much just the schreeches
Which makes it all the more brill. For most of the time it's just.... freakin' noise, goddamit (plus some really, really subtle melodies)! It totally fitted every goddamn moment in the game. It was never intended to work with you sitting on your couch and munching peanuts or whatever.