You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Which of the Silent Hill's is your favorite?

View Poll Results: My favorite Silent Hill would be:
Silent Hill 7 17.50%
Silent Hill 2 28 70.00%
Sillent Hill 3 2 5.00%
Silent Hill 4 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 12:17 AM   #21

Heh, I actually do like listening to the Silent Hill soundtrack by itself, but then that's the kind of music I'm into in the first place.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:28 AM   #22
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
Heh, I actually do like listening to the Silent Hill soundtrack by itself, but then that's the kind of music I'm into in the first place.
Do you listen to the whole soundtrack or skip to the tracks that are actualy songs?
Old 01-04-2006, 01:00 AM   #23

Whole soundtrack. I like the noise bits the most, actually. Reminds me of early Einsturzende Neubauten, or Swans at their most experimental. That kind of noisy soundscape stuff appeals to me a lot, so I was actually a bit disappointed to see it get shoved into the corner for later games.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:06 AM   #24
capsized.

Lemme see: Verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-repeat?

The music in the second game continues what has been done in the first game, but on a totally different level, since the the game has a totally different theme as well. Just listen to the really simple yet utterly effective piano tune that's playing after
Spoiler:
Maria gets killed.. for the first time.
And compare that to the average boring, (trying sooooo hard to be) bombastic orchestral pap in your average game...

My favourites are to be found in Thief and Shock 2, though. At times you can hardly tell what's ambient sound and what's not. Creates an awesome sense of foreboding all through the game. It's that incredible.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #25
merely human

Couldn't sleep again tonight, so got up, made myself a bowl of raspberry hot chocolat with cream, marshamallows, and a shot of rum.

Right now I'm listening to one of the tracks from Silent Hill 3, Akira Yamaoka's A Stray Child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I dont remember SH1 having many songs, it was mostly all atmosphere noise.
I don't remember saying it did. It did, however, mix a few vaguely melodic sounds with the ambient, oft industrial 'clangs' at key moments, like when you finally step out into the backyard of the house on Larkin Street, and everything goes pitch black and you put your torch on, the music switches, like it's some kind church choir piece playing backwards. Creepy.

There are some nice moments with music, too, like during that horrific yet poignant scene with Lisa Garland.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-04-2006, 02:52 AM   #26
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Couldn't sleep again tonight, so got up, made myself a bowl of raspberry hot chocolat with cream, marshamallows, and a shot of rum.
LOL! Just came back from the dentist. Creeeeepy.

Quote:
I don't remember saying it did. It did, however, mix a few vaguely melodic sounds with the ambient, oft industrial 'clangs' at key moments, like when you finally step out into the backyard of the house on Larkin Street, and everything goes pitch black and you put your torch on, the music switches, like it's some kind church choir piece playing backwards. Creepy.
Absolutel-ey! I think sethsez hit the nail on the head with his EinstĂĽrzende Neubauten comparsion.. On a side note, I also like the melodic rather conventional music pieces, like the guitar rock tune during the intro of Inner Fears. I'm here for you James. Look? I'm real. It's kind of weird, there was some similar music playing during the credits of Resident Evil that was totally different from anything present during the actual game. I think the Japanese have a thing going on with this sort of stuff.

Last edited by samIamsad; 01-04-2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:50 AM   #27

Though i think all the Silent Hills are great, Silent Hill 2 is my favourite.

I think is just the feeling of hopelessness and despair that gets to me. The balancing of music and silence is superb.

Currently listening to the Red Pyramid track from the Silent Hill 2 soundtrack, its a weird to hear a sad sounding Boss theme.

Found this interesting 'Making of Silent Hill 2' on a fansite (scroll down its near the bottom) that gives you an insight into the warped minds at Konami

http://www.restlessdream.com/v5/index.php?p=212

P.S Do not mix Silent Hill and drugs mm'kay. A friend of mine smoked a joint while playing Silent Hill. He had really bad nightmares for a week.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:00 AM   #28
Explorer of the uncharted

Wow! I never hoped I'd get so many replies so quickly!
But that's what I love about this forum. It's active, it's friendly and intelligent.
+ It's great to see that there are so many Silent Hill fans out there.

My favorite Silent Hill would either be nr 1 or 2.
The original for it's originality and it's great use of sound, but sadly, It has dated quite badly.
It's a shame that Konami chose to remake Metal Gear Solid instead.

Nr 2 has a better atmosphere, but It loses some of it's creepyness by making the story more coherent.
Still, it's got one of the scaryest moment in videogame history.

Nr 3 was a dissapointment for me.
While it tries to tie things together a bit, it fails at it and comes of as an unessisary addition to the series.

Nr 4 is undoubtebly the weakest, witch is a shame 'caus it's such a great concept.

Anyway, I hope the upcoming movie will be good, altough I've got my doubts
(I'm not a fan of Brotherhood of the Wolf) but it does not matter, for the movies that inspired the series are still available.
Go check out Jackob's Ladder and Lost Highway if you are a fan. You wont regret it!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:32 AM   #29
gin soaked boy

I played the first Silent Hill game only about six months ago so that might explain why it failed to impress me. It just felt clunky in so many respects and I didn't find it very scary. Extremly weird, yes, but not that scary. I did like the way the story was told, with many things just being hinted at, but overall, it didn't justify its reputation in my eyes.

The second one was a big improvement. Some truly disturbing monster designs there, including one of the greatest monsters of all time - the Pyramid Head, of course. I also think it's scarier than SH, with that endless jumping down the holes in the ground, the creepy prison level and confusing final sections. Too bad the gameplay was still substandard, with a bad camera and many long corridors of indentical doors to go through. The whole premise was very interesting, but I feel the delivery fell flat. It was too heavy-handed for my taste, way too pathetic, and I could never really relate to James who made some very strange, even plain stupid decisions during the course of the game. Yes, video game characters are not exactly known for their believeability, but SH2's ambitious and intimate story made such a shortcoming all that more obvious. So a miss in that regard, but I applaud it for its courage and for what it might have been.

Silent Hill 3's plot was cheap in comparison and it ruined the original's story quite a bit, but it did have its moments. That rather obvious, but still quite powerfull "They look like monsters to you?" line is probably my favorite in the whole series. What I really liked about SH3 was its gameplay, the least painful out of all SH games I played, and the theme of dread emanating out of the known, out of the ordinary. That's one of the running themes in the series, probably taken to the extreme in SH4, but SH3's selection of locations just made the biggest impact on me and I can still remember them clearly - possibly because I played the hell out of it to unlock the Sexy Beam. In addition to that, Heather is a pretty believeable teenager, more defined than Harry and a lot less annoying than James. Monsters were more of a dangerous than scary kind and returning to Silent Hill, especially the Lake Side Amusement Park, wasn't as effective as it could've been, but overall, I suppose Silent Hill 3 is my favorite.

I only played the demo of SH4 and I found the implementation of the first person perspective so atrociously bad that I didn't even bother getting to the third person perspective part. I'll still buy it if I manage to find it really, really cheap.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #30
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by GED X-42
Though i think all the Silent Hills are great, Silent Hill 2 is my favourite.

I think is just the feeling of hopelessness and despair that gets to me. The balancing of music and silence is superb.

Currently listening to the Red Pyramid track from the Silent Hill 2 soundtrack, its a weird to hear a sad sounding Boss theme.
I dont think i have that track in my copy

Quote:
Found this interesting 'Making of Silent Hill 2' on a fansite (scroll down its near the bottom) that gives you an insight into the warped minds at Konami

http://www.restlessdream.com/v5/index.php?p=212

P.S Do not mix Silent Hill and drugs mm'kay. A friend of mine smoked a joint while playing Silent Hill. He had really bad nightmares for a week.
Is that the one that came with the 2 disc special edition of SH2?

I like how they got the idea of the straightjacket monsters and their movements from watching their friend who was wearing a hooded sweatshirt whith his hands in his pockets listening to music
Old 01-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #31
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
My favourites are to be found in ... Shock 2, though. At times you can hardly tell what's ambient sound and what's not. Creates an awesome sense of foreboding all through the game. It's that incredible.
And then the really cheap music cuts in and ruins the tension.

They really should never have put the music in .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:13 PM   #32
capsized.

Mh. I kinda like it when I get surrounded by mutant freaks in Shock 2 and all of the sudden that totally schizo drum'n'bass stuff kicks in. It's overused a bit, though. Now, that Subway To Sally ( ) song in Thief 2 (watch the credits.. ), that's a different story. They also used a loop of it in the police station level, and surprisingly, it worked really well. Awful, awful band, though.

Started playing Silent Hill 1..... again. Using my PSX emulator. Nice.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #33
Iconoclast

My favorite is, of course, SH2.

I've played them all and would probably put them in this order: SH2, SH3, SH1, SH4.

I didn't like the first game very much, simply becuase the creature design was so terrible. As appropriate as caterpillars, moths, hairless dogs, and pterodactyl-looking things may be to the story, they are about as lame as can be possibly imagined as far as horror is concerned. It did have great puzzles though.

I would say SH3 was the most intense. It instilled the greatest sense of raw fear in me. However, I still prefer the dysphoria and pathos of SH2 better though.

SH4 was a REALLY cool idea that was just executed poorly. My biggest gripe about it (other than the ending I got) was the way the levels were re-used. You essentially work your way outwards from "The Room" and then go right back the way you came about halfway through the game. LAME! Oh, and the lack of any real puzzles. And the crappy save game system. And..
Old 01-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #34
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
My favorite is, of course, SH2.

I've played them all and would probably put them in this order: SH2, SH3, SH1, SH4.

I didn't like the first game very much, simply becuase the creature design was so terrible. As appropriate as caterpillars, moths, hairless dogs, and pterodactyl-looking things may be to the story, they are about as lame as can be possibly imagined as far as horror is concerned. It did have great puzzles though.

I would say SH3 was the most intense. It instilled the greatest sense of raw fear in me. However, I still prefer the dysphoria and pathos of SH2 better though.

SH4 was a REALLY cool idea that was just executed poorly. My biggest gripe about it (other than the ending I got) was the way the levels were re-used. You essentially work your way outwards from "The Room" and then go right back the way you came about halfway through the game. LAME! Oh, and the lack of any real puzzles. And the crappy save game system. And..
And? and what!? I need closure!
I heard going into your inventory didnt pause the game so if you had to change weapons while fighting a monster you were pretty much screwed
Old 01-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #35
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
M
Yeah, I agree completely with that. Reusing the levels was just dumb, I got so bored going through that crappy train maze again, and annoyed at the ghosts that could just drift through the walls and beat the sh*t out of you when you get stuck. Then doing the forest bit again was too much and I gave up.

I'm not sure about the inventory thing Karmillo, I never swapped weapons mid-fight so never had that problem.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 01-23-2006, 05:14 PM   #36
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
1 has the best atmosphere
2 has the best story and "villain"

Its very hard to choose betwen 1 and 2 - they both impress with regard to atmosphere, story and villains.
Maybe I think SH1 was best becaue that was the first one I played.
I remember when I first bought it and my girlfriend and I took it round to my brothers house to play it with him and his girlfriend.
We were there for about 4 hours but none of us wanted to be the one with the controller because the game was so spooky

SH2 was good too, but for me, it didnt have the same atmosphere - I was quite happy to play the game by myself, but I must admit that the storyline and characters did stand out although the game did feel a little short imo

SH3 was absolute pants - too much action and not enough puzzles

I haven't played SH4 because its had so many bad reviews - maybe if I find it in a bargain bin somewhere then I'll give it a go
Old 03-09-2006, 02:33 AM   #37
Wandering Swordsman

Send a message via AIM to PsychoGoatee

I'm surprised Silent Hill has so few votes. I think its easily the best of the series, still holds up today. Silent Hill 2 is my 2nd pick.

I can't wait for the Silent Hill movie next month, its gonna be shocking. Of course, its based on the first game, only starring the girl's mother instead of her father... and with some rogue elements (Pyramid Head).
Old 03-09-2006, 02:43 AM   #38

I think SH1 was the best, but SH2 comes close. If I was to suggest them to first time players, I'd say SH1 first but only because he'd be spoilt with the great graphics of the second game if he tried that first.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:11 AM   #39
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee
I'm surprised Silent Hill has so few votes. I think its easily the best of the series, still holds up today.
Very few people here have played it, especially on the first PS. But it was practically the first PS game I ever played (bought it with the console six years ago).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-09-2006, 07:02 PM   #40
Iconoclast

Another reason for SH2 doing so well in the poll is the fact that this is an adventure forum. SH2 is most likely to appeal to this crowd because of its slower pacing, less emphasis on action, and its story.

I have seen people discuss the same issue on more action-oriented forums and SH2 isn't liked nearly as much there.