Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Which of the Silent Hill's is your favorite? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/12600-silent-hills-your-favorite.html)

NcroManiac 01-03-2006 04:40 AM

Which of the Silent Hill's is your favorite?

I'm curious about my fellow fourm meber's tastes.
Do not be afraid to discuss your choice, or lack of one for that matter.

seebaruk 01-03-2006 05:41 AM

I've gotta say the first one, although 2 is close behind. At the time there was just nothing like it, at least nothing I'd seen. Coming from the dog-through-window jump scares of Resident Evil to actual terrifying psychological horror was amazing. I remember staying up all night with a couple of friends playing it, we were palming the controller off to each other at bits we were too freaked to do ourselves :) 2 had the same effect, with freaky monsters like Pyramid Head and some really creepy locations.

I never played the whole of 3 and I got bored with 4 in the second half of the game, although I'd have liked to have seen what happened.

Dasilva 01-03-2006 06:00 AM

I don't see a option for those who haven't played it. :P

Starflux 01-03-2006 07:03 AM

I've only played through a large part of three last weekend, so I have no right to speak. I've seen some bits of 2 as well and that was immediately far scarier. But again, I haven't played it myself.

Veovis 01-03-2006 07:17 AM

I voted for the second one, but 1 and 3 are not far behind. All three are excellent games. Never cared for the fourth game though. More or less every new element in that game, such as recurring enemies and more focus on action, meant a step in the wrong direction for the series IMO.

Once A Villain 01-03-2006 07:28 AM

Silent Hill 2

Melanie68 01-03-2006 07:34 AM

I just picked up Silent Hill 2 at Fry's (in the box) for $9.99. It was the only one of the four they had. Everyone's been raving about Silent Hill so I thought I'd give it a go. It's nice they have a beginner setting. :)

SamandMax 01-03-2006 11:17 AM

Silent 2 is brilliant. SH1 and 4 are almost as good. SH3 is pretty good.

RLacey 01-03-2006 12:32 PM

If only I'd bought the PC version of Silent Hill 2 when it was actually available :frown:...

sethsez 01-03-2006 02:15 PM

1 has the best atmosphere
2 has the best story and "villain"
3 has the best gameplay
4 has the best concept

I'm leaning towards 2, but 1 is very, very close behind.

Karmillo 01-03-2006 03:03 PM

My vot was 2, The story was great and the Music was amazing.
The cast was also briliant.
There was allot of hidden meaning in it aswell, with a huge twist at the end :D

Theres still so many questions i have about the second one, I need to check some fansites to see if the can be answered :P

the only one i havent played is 4, 3 was just ok so i was never too interested in 4...I might try looking it up on the PC

squarejawhero 01-03-2006 03:32 PM

Currently replaying 3. It has the WORST game introduction ever in the dream sequence, but when Heather wakes up in the café, it's hard not to be rapt.

Henke 01-03-2006 06:03 PM

I've played all except for the first and I think the second one is the best. SH3 was the weakest in the series IMO.

Karmillo 01-03-2006 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henke
I've played all except for the first and I think the second one is the best. SH3 was the weakest in the series IMO.

You should really play The first one before you play 3 as they are directly linked to each other, 3 is really part 2 of the original silent hills story line

Intrepid Homoludens 01-03-2006 07:53 PM

http://www.gamerankings.com/screens4/198641/1.jpg http://images.windowsmarketplace.com...ntHill_200.jpg
Silent Hill, Silent Hill 3.

I haven't yet played SH4, but I have played the first three.

SH1, I think, is the strongest and most effective in terms of pure atmosphere. The sound design alone is one of the most powerful, you experience a good deal of the game through the sound, whether that be the suddenly shifting music track that sends a chill through your spine, the distant clanging of metal, or the wailing of the skinless babies in the almost pitch black corridors of Midwich Elementary School. Part of the freakiness of SH1 was the fact that you just didn't have any fricking idea what the hell was going on, you simply knew that Harry needed to find his vanished daughter through the severe fog and darkness.

SH1, I think, introduced us to the experience of fear and horror through the helplessness and sheer vulnerability of an everyday type of character. Harry Mason is NOT a Marine or government agent, he's a lousy shot with a gun, and it's very easy for him to die.

After that, I think SH2 is the next most powerful for me, but for different reasons. SH2 was extremely effective for its incredible poignancy. The entire story and gameworld was permeated with such a profound sadness and despair, and there was NOWHERE you could run to escape it. Factor that in with some of the most bizarre and disturbing creatures and set pieces (peaking voyeuristically thorugh the slats of a closet door at a Pyramidhead seemingly fornicating with a mannequin monster inspired by the weird sculptures of artist Hans Bellmer, for example), and such psychological symbols as the spitting image of your dead wife in a mysterious trampy young woman.

samIamsad 01-03-2006 08:45 PM

It's only if you hear games like the original Silent Hill in action that you realize how goddamn boring the audio design of video games in general is. Because it scared the bejesus outta me, my vote goes to this one. Though the second one comes close and features the most mature plotline and narrative you have ever encountered in a video game.

lumi 01-03-2006 09:19 PM

Since you guys have played Silent Hill, does this make any sense to you?

Karmillo 01-03-2006 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
http://www.gamerankings.com/screens4/198641/1.jpg http://images.windowsmarketplace.com...ntHill_200.jpg
Silent Hill, Silent Hill 3.

I haven't yet played SH4, but I have played the first three.

SH1, I think, is the strongest and most effective in terms of pure atmosphere. The sound design alone is one of the most powerful, you experience a good deal of the game through the sound, whether that be the suddenly shifting music track that sends a chill through your spine, the distant clanging of metal, or the wailing of the skinless babies in the almost pitch black corridors of Midwich Elementary School. Part of the freakiness of SH1 was the fact that you just didn't have any fricking idea what the hell was going on, you simply knew that Harry needed to find his vanished daughter through the severe fog and darkness.

SH1, I think, introduced us to the experience of fear and horror through the helplessness and sheer vulnerability of an everyday type of character. Harry Mason is NOT a Marine or government agent, he's a lousy shot with a gun, and it's very easy for him to die.

After that, I think SH2 is the next most powerful for me, but for different reasons. SH2 was extremely effective for its incredible poignancy. The entire story and gameworld was permeated with such a profound sadness and despair, and there was NOWHERE you could run to escape it. Factor that in with some of the most bizarre and disturbing creatures and set pieces (peaking voyeuristically thorugh the slats of a closet door at a Pyramidhead seemingly fornicating with a mannequin monster inspired by the weird sculptures of artist Hans Bellmer, for example), and such psychological symbols as the spitting image of your dead wife in a mysterious trampy young woman.

I dont remember SH1 having many songs, it was mostly all atmosphere noise.
The only songs i can remember are the main theme, the one after after lisa and the credits. there could be one or two more...it was kinda annoying buying the sound track and finding it was pretty much just the schreeches :frown: the SH2 sound track is great but a small pin hole scratch on the backing of my copy has somehow caused every track to start skipping :frusty:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
Since you guys have played Silent Hill, does this make any sense to you?

wow what a load of crap....although what i think is supposed to be going on is:
James or some guys radio oes off cause pyramid head is near
Pyramid head hears it and comes in...and for some reason hes george bush?
then james gets stabbed

lumi 01-03-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
wow what a load of crap....although what i think is supposed to be going on is:
James or some guys radio oes off cause pyramid head is near
Pyramid head hears it and comes in...and for some reason hes george bush?
then james gets stabbed

It's not George Bush, but you're probably right about the rest. I find it quite funny, so I was just wondering what game elements that had.

samIamsad 01-03-2006 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmillo
I dont remember SH1 having many songs, it was mostly all atmosphere noise.
The only songs i can remember are the main theme, the one after after lisa and the credits. there could be one or two more...it was kinda annoying buying the sound track and finding it was pretty much just the schreeches :frown:

Which makes it all the more brill. For most of the time it's just.... freakin' noise, goddamit (plus some really, really subtle melodies)! It totally fitted every goddamn moment in the game. It was never intended to work with you sitting on your couch and munching peanuts or whatever. :D