You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General SJH's 360 Epinion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #61
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
LOL, you've got to be f*cking kidding me.
I'm serious. It really didn't look that good. I exaggerated with the PS2 comparison of course but I was expecting more of it. Compare it to FEAR's graphics, made by the same company.

Firefox rules
Old 01-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #62
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Why do we have to have stupid console wars? Can't we just leave that to gamefaqs or ign?
My Megadrive/C64/IBM compatible is better than your SNES/Spectrum/Amiga.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #63
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
You are paying 10 bucks more for the graphics. How are not the graphics everything? I mean it is the [sarcasm]HD Era[/sarcasm]
lol @ u for thinking the price will always be $60. And for thinking PS3 and Revolution games will be any cheaper on their launch.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #64
Epinionated.

Quote:
I'm serious. It really didn't look that good. I exaggerated with the PS2 comparison of course but I was expecting more of it. Compare it to FEAR's graphics, made by the same company.
It trounces FEAR. I have had both running on high on a TFT. You have made yourself look like a muppet.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #65
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
lol @ u for thinking the price will always be $60. And for thinking PS3 and Revolution games will be any cheaper on their launch.
These games on the 360 are the same price new as new Xbox/PS2 titles if you buy from the net, plus again I must bring up how expensive Megadrive/Snes carts were "back in the day". Didn't mean I stuck to my C64 and it's £9.99 titles, did it? Sam, we win. They are teh suck.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #66
SamNMax

Exactly.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:53 PM   #67
Homer of Kittens

First of all SJH, sorry to say, but you have no clue what you are talking about. FEAR won the best technical achievement award on gamespot for a reason. It looks better than Condemned and any other game this year. Hell Kameo looks better than condemned. And yes I have seen both on an HDTV running on a 360.

Second of all, games for other consoles are 10 dollars cheaper if they are multi-format. Did you hear about GUN? How average it looked on the 360 and it sold for 10 dollars more. Or Quake 4, 10 dollars more expensive than the PC version and it stutters at 30 FPS.

Third of all, who said that the next wave of games are not going to be also 10 dollars more? DOA4 is not a launch title and it is selling for 60. So hell yeah it should look good if they are charging me 10 bucks more.

And SNM I don't think rev games will be more expensive. Just look at the DS game prices vs the PSP. That's their strategy.

Firefox rules
Old 01-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #68
SamNMax

Maybe not Revolution, but I seem to remember a console that came out in '96 who's launch games were $85.

Last edited by SamNMax; 01-03-2006 at 04:27 PM.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:06 PM   #69
Epinionated.

Quote:
First of all SJH, sorry to say, but you have no clue what you are talking about. FEAR won the best technical achievement award on gamespot for a reason. It looks better than Condemned and any other game this year. Hell Kameo looks better than condemned. And yes I have seen both on an HDTV running on a 360.
Your opinion.

FEAR won not on looks, but TECHNICAL achievement. Condemned has the same backgrounds and effects as FEAR, running on the same engine, by the same company (so AS good on a technical front), only with HDR and dozens of other effects including much higher res backdrops and characters. It does different things and doesn't rely on fast-paced gunplay sequences with 2D dirt effects splaying everywhere.

It's twice as scary as FEAR because of its more realistic content and plays infinitely better, mainly as FEAR only relies on its AI shootfests in amongst poorly ripped-off Ringu sequences. FEAR consists mainly of offices, and although Condemned backdrops are dank they are far more varied and detailed. It also has far superior production design.

I've GOT and play both. Condemned is by far the better game. And no, Kameo doesn't look better than Condemned. Kameo doesn't even look as good as many older generation titles - and not because of its technical aspect, but purely on design, which is horrid. On a visual design and techincal front, Condemned is superior. I've got solid reasons, you've got a few moments in front of someone else's xbox.

I also led design and designed on a recent animation project that cost thousands of dollars. I hope to f*ck I know what I'm talking about. Journalists versus people who do it for a living. Who wins?

Quote:
Second of all, games for other consoles are 10 dollars cheaper if they are multi-format. Did you hear about GUN? How average it looked on the 360 and it sold for 10 dollars more. Or Quake 4, 10 dollars more expensive than the PC version and it stutters at 30 FPS.
Not true. I can find Gun for £39 on 360 and I can find Gun for £45 on Xbox if I looked.

Oh, and ONE game runs worse than PC. It's been marked down as such, whoop-de-do - so? Path of Neo runs worse on PC than PS2. What does that say? Erm... bad programming anyone?

Quote:
Third of all, who said that the next wave of games are not going to be also 10 dollars more? DOA4 is not a launch title and it is selling for 60. So hell yeah it should look good if they are charging me 10 bucks more.
Piss and moan, piss and moan. Go play games instead of attacking a piece of equipment I spent my hard earned on and am 110% happy with.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:14 PM   #70
Super Moderator

XBox 360 does not equal peace and harmony. Everyone's fighting.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #71
SamNMax

No, you.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #72
SamNMax

Quote:
DOA4 may not be a launch game, but it's still early in the 360 release. In a couple months, it will drop. Ten dollars isn't much anyway.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:33 PM   #73
Homer of Kittens

I would be happy if games cost less, but my understanding is that this is the new cost we have to pay for next gen graphics and not only at launch.

Firefox rules
Old 01-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #74
SamNMax

Okay, but it will still drop. When "next generation" becomes "this generation" we won't have to pay for graphics.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:44 PM   #75
Homer of Kittens

Quote:

Not true. I can find Gun for £39 on 360 and I can find Gun for £45 on Xbox if I looked.

Oh, and ONE game runs worse than PC. It's been marked down as such, whoop-de-do - so? Path of Neo runs worse on PC than PS2. What does that say? Erm... bad programming anyone?

Piss and moan, piss and moan. Go play games instead of attacking a piece of equipment I spent my hard earned on and am 110% happy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kasavin
The graphics do have a few minor problems, mostly centering around the relatively bland environments. Granted, it's not like filthy rundown buildings are inherently interesting to look at, but the main issue with the environments in Condemned is that there's too little contrast in them. In the very first setting, you'll see the breaking dawn piercing through shuttered windows into dust-filled rooms. It's a beautiful effect, but the game almost never does anything of the kind again, instead pushing you through one lifeless corridor after another.
So how is that very different from FEAR? And FEAR IS the superior game. Graphically, the AI, the whole game is just better. It is not as scary yet, but it is a better game. Just pick up gamerankings and compare the 2 scores to see what the general public thinks of the 2. If YOU think that Condemned is better, that does not mean that it is better. It's just one voice as opposed to the many who reviewed the game.

As far as GUN being 10 dollars more, I was talking retail. IT IS TRUE. That's their OFFICIAL PRICE. If you find a bargain somewhere, does not negate the fact, that it is officially 10 dollars more than current gen software, something you yourself said wasn't true.

Firefox rules
Old 01-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #76
SamNMax

Condemned is pretty different than FEAR. And though they're both great games, I don't think I'd ever compare them. Besides, the technical aspects, I don't care about.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #77
Epinionated.

Quote:
So how is that very different from FEAR? And FEAR IS the superior game. Graphically, the AI, the whole game is just better. It is not as scary yet, but it is a better game. Just pick up gamerankings and compare the 2 scores to see what the general public thinks of the 2. If YOU think that Condemned is better, that does not mean that it is better. It's just one voice as opposed to the many who reviewed the game.

As far as GUN being 10 dollars more, I was talking retail. IT IS TRUE. That's their OFFICIAL PRICE. If you find a bargain somewhere, does not negate the fact, that it is officially 10 dollars more than current gen software, something you yourself said wasn't true.
a) Who you going to believe, a person who majored in production design who's trusted to create shows for a living, or Greg Kasavin? OK, I'm being pedantic, but no less than yourself. The design is centered around what they want to achieve and still has more detail than FEAR's basic office environments. Hell, sometimes they even use the same resources! There are tons of reviews complaining about FEAR's resource use and bland backings, want me to throw those up for you? As someone who's played both thoroughly, I'm telling you that Condemned has more variety, more detail, higher resolution textures, more efx and is smoother and better technically.

b) True, these things are subjective. But I'm arguing as someone who's played both thoroughly and can easily throw up a source that'll say the graphics are superior, like Edge magazine (far more trusted than Gamespot and a very harsh magazine to boot). He says the intro is the only worthwhile place. How about when you break through from the tube tunnels into the main station? Many of the backdrops are like Still Life brought to... er... life... in 3D. I've had a good friend, a filmmaker, sit here and play through part of the game, a PS2 owner, commenting on how he can't believe how far graphics have come. Plus - the good thing about playing the entire game is that you can bring out other cards other than reviews and third-hand opinion.

c) Hardly anyone's compared the two games until now. They're totally different and technically *shock horror* the same, only Condemned has a ton more effects work overlaying the same engine. There's even more detail, too. Where's your argument now?

d) Wahey, you didn't look around and found Gun for an expensive price. You lose if you don't look about, that's what the internet is for. An RRP doesn't mean you have to sell it for that price, that's why it's RRP.

Last edited by squarejawhero; 01-03-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:22 AM   #78
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
XBox 360 does not equal peace and harmony. Everyone's fighting.
Amen, sister. Let me see if I can draw their fire away from each other.
I did finally get to see an Xbox 360 in action the other day. Some guy was playing "Call Of Duty" on it, and I was deeply impressed. Every scene and effect was an order of magnitude more realistic than anything else I've seen played on a console before, and this almost got me interested in playing an FPS (< extremely high praise coming from me!).
I was particularly taken with the 3D effect of the smoke column rising in the distance. It was extremely realistic-looking and slightly transparent, but I have no idea if that sort of thing is difficult to animate or not. Either way, I was impressed.

Share the love.

<3
Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #79
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
a) Who you going to believe, a person who majored in production design who's trusted to create shows for a living, or Greg Kasavin? OK, I'm being pedantic, but no less than yourself. The design is centered around what they want to achieve and still has more detail than FEAR's basic office environments. Hell, sometimes they even use the same resources! There are tons of reviews complaining about FEAR's resource use and bland backings, want me to throw those up for you? As someone who's played both thoroughly, I'm telling you that Condemned has more variety, more detail, higher resolution textures, more efx and is smoother and better technically.

b) True, these things are subjective. But I'm arguing as someone who's played both thoroughly and can easily throw up a source that'll say the graphics are superior, like Edge magazine (far more trusted than Gamespot and a very harsh magazine to boot). He says the intro is the only worthwhile place. How about when you break through from the tube tunnels into the main station? Many of the backdrops are like Still Life brought to... er... life... in 3D. I've had a good friend, a filmmaker, sit here and play through part of the game, a PS2 owner, commenting on how he can't believe how far graphics have come. Plus - the good thing about playing the entire game is that you can bring out other cards other than reviews and third-hand opinion.

c) Hardly anyone's compared the two games until now. They're totally different and technically *shock horror* the same, only Condemned has a ton more effects work overlaying the same engine. There's even more detail, too. Where's your argument now?

d) Wahey, you didn't look around and found Gun for an expensive price. You lose if you don't look about, that's what the internet is for. An RRP doesn't mean you have to sell it for that price, that's why it's RRP.
FEAR > Condemned, and that is a fact.

Firefox rules
Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #80
Super Moderator

That is still only your opinion, not a fact.

Can't you two just agree to disagree?