You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General SJH's 360 Epinion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
Epinionated.

Default SJH's 360 Epinion

So, mine arrived yesterday. I'm actually rather pleased so far, it's certainly the best console I've played about with so far... and possibly the most impressive out of the box. I never owned a PS2 or Xbox - this is my first console since my brothers original Playstation in the mid ninties - so I don't have much comparative. All I know is - I like it.

But first, the bad.

It's been a bit annoying to set up, due to the ethernet cable being one-way and the Jap cables being analog/HD only... the game I have naturally doesn't work on its region (I expected this anyhow) and I can't find any optical/Scart connections anywhere... I've NO idea what posessed Microsoft other than sheer greed in creating a 360-only audio/video output connector. It's stupid and the fact you can't find them on the streets in this country due to demand is amazing. Where are the third-party cables? Why wasn't this prepared? It's pretty obvious they dropped the ball insofar as Supply and Demand on the consoles, but the accessories? OK, I've got a Jap Xbox, but... no optical out? Very strange.

I've hooked it up at last and the sound is good, shame it's just 2.0 at the moment.

The ethernet cable situ was also a bit of a stunner. Unless you've got a wireless or ethernet router, don't expect to be able to connect it to a PC mobo out of the box using the one provided. I've had to fork out a small amount just to get a crossover cable, but it works now. Configuring the PC/Xbox interface takes a while but it gets there eventually.

Also, what's with providing normal batteries instead of a charger for the gamepad out of the pack? Money making tactics about again here. C'est la vie. The console also seems to warm up quite a bit, so keep it aired.

Plus why use that horrid glue for sticking the protective plastic over the drive fascia? Any idea how to get it off without ruining the finish?

So onto the good.

The interface is superbly smooth. I mean... really, really smooth. The connectivity and sharing with a PC has actually convinced me, in a few months time, that I'm going to buy a laptop and create a wireless network. I can connect my MP3 player to it, and apparently (not tested) my digital camera, and then use them with my surround setup for my MP3's and telly to showcase pictures. Which is great! An Xbox360 and a laptop would make a great media hub...

I've also noticed that the 360 isn't anyway near as noisy as people make out. I could hear my fishtank cleaner over it. My desktop PC is rumbling over it when it's on too. When the Kameo demo is playing, I can't hear nuffink. So much whinging... unless there's faulty drives out there. Mine's horizontal and it's staying that way.

One-up on importing an American one if you've not got a DVD player and live in England, if you can put up with the games situ (I can and will, what with DOA4 preordered, yum) then it's also region 2. I've tested it on my VGA adapter on my monitors native res and the playback is good quality. The bundled remote control is nice to use too and sits comfortably in the hand, and can also beused to navigate the menu's.

What next? Oh, the controller. Well, it's comfy. No problems here for me. Rounded, smooth, responsive... it's the best controller I've used, and I've used them all at one point or another! But it's personal taste. I like it, so there.

OK, Xbox Live. It's annoying you have to pay for it, but it DOES give you content. I'm giving it a months trial to see what it provides. Downloading the demo's and trailers seems quite quick even on a shared port connection, so that's good... and I got the Kameo and Fifa demo's downloaded to keep me going.

Of these demo's, Kameo looks like a slightly tacky take on 3D animé with some occasionally poor animation, but it plays really well. It's got charm, I'll give it that, and the hi-def textures look lovely. I'm not a fan of the design whatsoever, but still - it's the first game I've seen that convinces me that the 360 would be capable of pulling of a cartoon game with the looks of a Pixar product. Changing between characters is fun, and it's intuitive. It's truly a Nintendo title at heart and feels that way... which was unexpected, despite it coming from Rare.

Fifa 2006 has some remarkable facial animation and graphics... really, really stunning stuff. Unfortunately, the demo also has odd slowdown and evident glitching, which was really bizarre. I've read it's pants so it's better than I expected, at least. Not something I'd purchase!

What IS fun is the Live Arcade. There's some brilliant cheapo games on there that're well worth downloading. Something tells me I may even end up playing them more than the expensive usual titles!

So, there's a quick summary. Ask questions, discuss, whatewwer! Basically, I'm glad I got it, even if it was the Japanese version. Plus I saved money. So that's always good.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
delusions of adequacy

What's Alexy Pajitnov's game like?

I'm still resentful of the region locked drive. While I would be more than happy to mail order every game and get it months before a local release, I'm less happy that any DVD I rent or buy locally or from a region other than that of the 360 will refuse to play in the 360 drive. Region locking should be made illegal, it flys in the face of so called free trade agreements.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
What's Alexy Pajitnov's game like?

I'm still resentful of the region locked drive. While I would be more than happy to mail order every game and get it months before a local release, I'm less happy that any DVD I rent or buy locally or from a region other than that of the 360 will refuse to play in the 360 drive. Region locking should be made illegal, it flys in the face of so called free trade agreements.
You mean a 360 can play games from any reigon but not dvds? like the way it is with a PSP and movie UMDs?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:23 AM   #4
Epinionated.

There are certain games which it can play from other regions, but big releases are locked. DVD region coding is prevalent as is on any DVD player.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:39 AM   #5
Life and times of...

So what excactly do you get with Live Silver?
Old 12-17-2005, 01:40 AM   #6
delusions of adequacy

The 360 is region locked, just like the xbox. For both game titles and DVDs. I said I would happily import game titles from say the US or Japan if I imported a 360 from there... but I would also have to import every DVD from there as well if I wanted to use the 360 as a DVD drive, and that's out of the question.

Given that the 360, much like the xbox requires a stupid DVD player "Dongle", I'm curious if a local region Dongle stuck on an imported 360 is just what I'm looking for.

Most retail DVD players in Australia are region free, its considered a right to be able to purchase entertainment from anywhere at any price rather than be forced to live with market manipulation/price managing.

The sooner region locking for all media goes the way of the dodo the better, ditto that wildly inferior NTSC format
Old 12-17-2005, 03:42 AM   #7
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I saw the demo of Kamio on the Xbox display in my nearest GAME TM store. The graphics look horrible for a Xbox 360 title, I thought it was a PS2 title before I saw the xbox 360 next to the screen where the game was showing. Looks fun though.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-17-2005, 04:32 AM   #8
Epinionated.

Well, Japan is Region 2 so it makes not a jot of difference for me.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #9
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Well, Japan is Region 2 so it makes not a jot of difference for me.
They are? Hmmmm...that would explain why some consols sold without games over there...
Old 12-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #10
Epinionated.

Think about it this way. Like you or I, some gamers might've anticipated a rush and got them in early. Not only that, they know that on the release of games like Enchant Arm, DOA4, 99 Nights, PGR3 (not even a release title there) and Test Drive the console will gain in popularity.

Of course, they might also be selling them to western customers.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #11
Psychonaut

I got pissed off today in GAME.

They had the boxes on the shelves for the console bundles (Starting at £449 for the premium and 4 games)

No signs up to say out of stock.

So I asked if they had any (Didn't expect them to say yes anyway), but I kinda snapped at the store manager as to why he was advertising it for sale when they didn't have any. A simple sold out notice would have sufficed.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:34 PM   #12
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
I got pissed off today in GAME.

They had the boxes on the shelves for the console bundles (Starting at £449 for the premium and 4 games)

No signs up to say out of stock.

So I asked if they had any (Didn't expect them to say yes anyway), but I kinda snapped at the store manager as to why he was advertising it for sale when they didn't have any. A simple sold out notice would have sufficed.
allot of people have been arguing with stores for doing that, everywhere seems to be displaying the boxes and advertising them without having stock...

I wonder if the uk has had any second shipments yet
Old 12-17-2005, 05:41 PM   #13
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Don't all GAME stores have display boxes with an actual xbox 360 running on display? Just nick it.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-18-2005, 02:06 AM   #14
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
allot of people have been arguing with stores for doing that, everywhere seems to be displaying the boxes and advertising them without having stock...

I wonder if the uk has had any second shipments yet
The 360's are trickling in in dribs and drabs. Virgin had 20 delivered on Oxford Street, Dixons in the same area had 10, 5 of each, on Wednesday.

Personally, considering how many preorders are being unfulfilled, I think that Microsoft should worry about stock allocation to those who've been waiting months rather than the xmas crowd.

CEX are also illegally selling cores for over £400 and £550 for premiums.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:16 AM   #15
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
CEX are also illegally selling cores for over £400 and £550 for premiums.
Why "illegally"?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:22 AM   #16
Epinionated.

Because you can't sell brand new merchandise that far over the RRP, that time I checked.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:28 AM   #17
Psychonaut

Is http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141240.html legal then?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:46 AM   #18
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

I assumed the ones being sold by CEX are "second-hand", albeit in the hands of their original owner for just a few hours. Would that not skirt the rules? Do CEX even sell brand-new stuff? I'm confused.

I'm also a bit confused why you went for a Japanese Xbox 360! Was it price, availability, or what? You must be a bit worried in case its apparent lack of success affects the supply of games released in Japan!
Old 12-18-2005, 07:57 AM   #19
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

As far as I'm aware there's nothing specifically illegal about selling that high. Some independent stores have actually placed a 90% markup on their hardware, taking the cost to a ridiculous £700 - something Microsoft branded as "disgusting". If people are prepared to pay it...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-18-2005, 08:32 AM   #20
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
I assumed the ones being sold by CEX are "second-hand", albeit in the hands of their original owner for just a few hours. Would that not skirt the rules? Do CEX even sell brand-new stuff? I'm confused.

I'm also a bit confused why you went for a Japanese Xbox 360! Was it price, availability, or what? You must be a bit worried in case its apparent lack of success affects the supply of games released in Japan!
I've no idea. But surely the blatant circumnavigation of UK trade law would raise a few eyebrows in government if they knew?

As for my Japanese Xbox, I've bought it as my cousin got it for me at a good price. Personally I kind of regret it, as your thoughts echo mine, but it was reasonably cheap and he can supply me with games, so atm it's not an issue.

I may sell it in the future to fund a UK one! You never know. It's current lack of success rests solely on Microsofts bizarre decision to release it with barely any titles which reflect its market before Christmas. If anything it shows as much apathy towards that area of the world as the apparent consumer lack of interest.