You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General To Anyone who is playing F.E.A.R. and has an ATI Card

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
Banned User

Default To Anyone who is playing F.E.A.R. and has an ATI Card

If you have an X800 caliber card, change the name of your fear.exe to anything you want, and it will add 10 to 15 FPS. Don't ask me how it works because I don't know, it just does.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:27 AM   #2
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Something to do with having that ATI A.I. on? They do it on the filename of the executable... oh ATI, why do your drivers suck so bad when your hardware is so good?
Old 01-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

My gosh, FEAR is a superb game, very System Shock-like, except theres hardly any dialogs and theres no puzzles.

Amazing game though.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #4
Homer of Kittens

100 points of stupidity goes to the ATI developers. That is just plain retarded

Firefox rules
Old 01-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I wonder if that would have fixed the problem with the FEAR demo I tried to play. I don't have that particular card (it's an GeForce 5600 or something for my laptop). It didn't matter what resolution I set it at or what other settings I disabled, the game ran horribly.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #6
Banned User

Doesn't work with Nvidia, but by all means try it if you want, but I can already tell you it wont. Only the newer ATI cards. It is, in fact, like aj said, a result of the way ati drivers work with exes.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I figured as much. I'm not really interested in FEAR, though. I don't really like horror games/movies. I just thought I'd try out the demo back then to see what the big deal was.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:13 AM   #8
adventurefan99

Quote:
I'm not really interested in FEAR, though. I don't really like horror games/movies.
Trust me, F.E.A.R is definately one of the best games of last year and is IMO the equivilent to being 2005's Half-Life 2 (Well maybe not that great but still pretty darn good). Even though the middle parts start to get a bit repetitive, it picks up once you face the assasins and as more variety of enemies are introduced to the game... But the one thing that made F.E.A.R. so merorable to me was the last 30 seconds... Best game ending EVA!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:01 AM   #9

IMHO Doom 3, Quake 4 and Half-Life 2 are all far superior to F.E.A.R.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #10
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

I fear Monolith games. Tron almost exploded my computer. I can play it for two minutes at a time, and then it dies. And I wanted to play it oh so much. I had no problem with No One Lives Forever 1 and 2 though, so I don't know.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #11
Hitch-Hiker

You got it the wrong way, its like this:

''IMHO Doom 3, Quake 4 and F.E.A.R are all crap compared to Half-Life 2.''

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 01-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #12
Banned User

Quake 4 better than FEAR?!?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #13
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Quake 4 better than FEAR?!?
FEAR is better than Quake 4 I finished Quake 4 and found it rather dissapointing, it didn't live up to the hype. Quake 2 was better (for its time).

_

Old 01-07-2006, 12:10 AM   #14

I don't compare games to their hype, I compare them to eachother.

For me F.E.A.R. wasn't very exciting, the AI was decent though, but in total, I didn't feel that the game immersed me enough to be exciting, and the scary parts weren't very scary IMHO, they just got in the way of my playing. This, along with the general feel of the game, subtracted too much from the immersion for my taste. It does have it's good points, but not enough to measure up to any of the other games I mentioned.

Doom 3 is probably the most immersive of the games I mentioned in my opinion, the creepy atmosphere sucked me in right from the start. The way the entire game is designed to make you feel small, weak and soon-to-be dead was amazing, this was (again, IMHO) the most innovative of the games, since it used light (and darkness) in a new way, and the completeness of the design was very well done.

Quake 4 had a very nice feel to the game, hard to describe, but it the weapons felt right, and the AI on the players side weren't completely useless (as is usually the case). This game has, like Doom 3, a very polished design. But more on the other end of the scale, where Doom 3 made you small and weak, Quake 4 makes you the cream of the crop. And besides, being stroggified is probably one of the coolest things I have ever had happen to me in a game.

Half-Life 2 had a very good story, it didn't have as good a feel as either Doom 3 or Quake 4 IMHO, but it was a very fun game. The gravity gun was a lot of fun to use. I didn't feel that the design was quite as polished in this game as in Doom 3 or Quake 4, it doesn't have the same kind of direction. But the story makes up for this, with some very interesting parts.

All in all, I'd say that Quake 4 is the game of these 4 that suited me the best, while F.E.A.R. is the one that suits me the least. And if any of these games are over-hyped, it's F.E.A.R. :p
Old 01-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #15
Hitch-Hiker

Well its always hard to compare games that were made a year later like HAlflife 2 compared to Quake 4. The technology is different.

_

Old 01-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #16
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've played some of F.E.A.R. since it arrived today (I haven't quite finished Quake IV but intend to). I like the set-up, and I like the atmosphere (well, I actually find it unsettling, but that's what it's supposed to be).

I'm still not impressed by the engine, though. The particle effects are nice, the slow-mo fairly cool and I like the fact that you can actually see your feet in the game, but something about it leaves me unimpressed. The gun models seem a little basic, while the font used and the HUD look a little unprofessional.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm finding it hard to get impressed from an aesthetic standpoint. Now the gameplay, on the other hand, does seem more convincing than Quake IV. I do actually like Q4 - a lot - but it does suffer from the red-and-green door-syndrome to denote where you can go, and it does feel like an old-school game wrapped up in (very good) graphics.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:49 AM   #17
Banned User

I didn't think Quake 4 looked all that good. And what boring enemies.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #18
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I didn't think Quake 4 looked all that good. And what boring enemies.
They could of been a bit more variety, I mean even the macron was revealed half way through the game which I think was a mistake. They should of thought of a better way to capture the player instead of dieng and having to wait a while... I just kept reloading my saved games until I killed it. lol Which never happened.

_

Old 01-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #19

Interesting. I have an x800xt and had major problems trying to run the demo. Thought it was the game.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #20
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeycomb
Interesting. I have an x800xt and had major problems trying to run the demo. Thought it was the game.
That is odd! I don't know if the trick works with the demo or not, I just know it works with the full game. What are your other computer specs? I have an
X800XL and it ran fine.