You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Adventure Gamers +

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 01:30 AM   #1
23 Railway Cuttings

Default Adventure Gamers +

Following the recent review of "Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude", I would like to nominate the name change to this site.

And I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to reviews on "Doom 3" and "HalfLife 2" and any other non-adventure games that get released in the future...

AG+
Old 11-17-2004, 03:03 AM   #2
Puts the 'e' in Mark

If you paid more attention you'd have seen that it wasn't a review, but that is was a feature comparing MCL against the rest of the series. I'd be happy if it helps people make up their minds on whether they're going to like MCL or not. It's good to make the differences clear, as some people might be expecting a direct sequel when they see the LSL brand.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:32 AM   #3
23 Railway Cuttings

Oh yeah, I'll bet that's how JA+ got started...
Old 11-17-2004, 04:49 AM   #4
Doctor Watson

Doom has NOTHING to do with adventures. However, MCL is a sequel to Larry, so it IS relevant. The same logic applies to Psychonauts and Dreamfall.

Maybe.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:00 AM   #5
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
Doom has NOTHING to do with adventures. However, MCL is a sequel to Larry, so it IS relevant. The same logic applies to Psychonauts and Dreamfall.

Maybe.
Dreamfall is an adventure.

At least, from what I've heard. You could just as well call that an action/adventure as you could call Indy:FOA one.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:04 AM   #6
23 Railway Cuttings

My point is, "Why are we giving airtime to a game that has been ripped off the original creator and yet tries to cash in on the originals' successes, while singularly failing to do so and just looks like it has been created by a bunch of pre-pubescent monkeys".

It's not an adventure and so (I imagine) has no place on this website ?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:07 AM   #7
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
Dreamfall is an adventure.

At least, from what I've heard. You could just as well call that an action/adventure as you could call Indy:FOA one.
I just tried to word my post so that purists would understand.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:08 AM   #8

The reason I saw it as being written about is because it's something that concerns adventure gamers- the people, not the site. The "is it/isn't it an adventure" question has been officially answered by the site: no, it isn't, and this is why.

Have you been wounded by the presense of the MCL article? Did it harm you in some fashion? Then why are you complaining? No one made you read it (unless you've got something really weird going on at your house). If you don't like it, don't read it. The end.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:12 AM   #9
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
My point is, "Why are we giving airtime to a game that has been ripped off the original creator and yet tries to cash in on the originals' successes, while singularly failing to do so and just looks like it has been created by a bunch of pre-pubescent monkeys".

It's not an adventure and so (I imagine) has no place on this website ?
Since it does owe so much to a well-known adventure game series is it not appropriate for an adventure game site to cover it so people are fully aware that it's just the name and not the genre that's being carried on? Explaining why it's not an adventure (despite the name's history) will help stop people falling into that trap.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-17-2004, 06:22 AM   #10
23 Railway Cuttings

No-one has answered my question sensibly yet. We all KNOW it's not an adventure game from the forum threads that have been posted. We don't need a "non-article" that breathes more life into the joke of an adventure game that it is to tell us that.

Roll on the "BeTrapped" review...
Old 11-17-2004, 06:27 AM   #11
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Rest assured, the MCL feature does not indicate, in any way, a change of policy towards hybrid / multi-genre games.

The MCL feature has its unique relevance. The fact that we decided not to review it should be a clear signal that we believe it isn't an adventure game. (At least, not the sort of adventure game we'd like to focus on.)
Old 11-17-2004, 07:51 AM   #12
Hopeful skeptic

You really have to go out of your way to be offended by our treatment of this game. Al Lowe himself gave "airtime" to it because people wanted to know his take on it, so AG is doing nothing radical. Yes, I critiqued the game as a regular review would, but it's not scored, and clearly stands outside of our coverage of pure adventures. That is a step BACKWARDS from the fully-scored proper review given to King's Quest 8, so let's forget the slippery slope argument.

The article itself explains why it exists, and others have reiterated that here: it's of interest to adventure gamers as a follow up to one of the most famous adventure series of all time.

Quote:
No-one has answered my question sensibly yet. We all KNOW it's not an adventure game from the forum threads that have been posted. We don't need a "non-article" that breathes more life into the joke of an adventure game that it is to tell us that.
No, only we FEW who actually visit the forum know this. AG gets many thousands of unique visitors per day to the main site. Only a relative handful post or even lurk on our forums. That leaves a whole lot of people who rely on AG's main site for news, reviews, info, etc. WE are only a small active corner of the community, but AG's features serve the larger community.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:01 AM   #13
Evil Webmaster

For sure it's something that can't be ignored, so I appreciate what AG is trying to do, but I sure hope it doesn't become an habit

(BTW was it Stinger who said 'I'm gonna buy LSL: MCL even if it sucks'? Well... did he? )
So there you go
Old 11-17-2004, 09:15 AM   #14
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
No, only we FEW who actually visit the forum know this. AG gets many thousands of unique visitors per day to the main site. Only a relative handful post or even lurk on our forums. That leaves a whole lot of people who rely on AG's main site for news, reviews, info, etc. WE are only a small active corner of the community, but AG's features serve the larger community.
Fair enough Jack and I take your point. I just don't want AG to become JA.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:27 AM   #15
Hopeful skeptic

I hear ya', Tim. No worries. As Marek said, our focus hasn't changed.

Now, please excuse me, as I'm off to play Half-Life 2 in a completely unofficial capacity...
Old 11-17-2004, 09:31 AM   #16
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222

Maybe.
There is a thin line between adventures and other genres. Psychonauts, though developed by Tim Shaffer is still a platformer at heart, with a lot of adventuring. I can argue that BG&E is an adventure then. You know there is this invisible line that seperates genres, and when you cross it, you need to add the +. AG+ Just kidding

Firefox rules
Old 11-17-2004, 09:32 AM   #17
Banned User

Quote:

Roll on the "BeTrapped" review...
And I quote "Jack shares his thoughts and how he thinks longtime LSL fans will like it."

longtime LSL fans = Adventure Gamers

Adventure Gamers = US

It's an article about why LSL fans may like the new game, even though it isn't an adventure game. Did you even read it?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:35 AM   #18
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Jordan Mechner made an adventure game. He also made 3 or 4 action games. We should review all the Prince of Persia games, they'd be relevant!

(joking aside though, I agree that the LSL:MCL "it's not a review as we know it, we don't know what to call it!" is perfectly justified in its context...)
Old 11-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #19
Banned User

And don't forget people, they OWN this site. They can put in what they want.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:00 AM   #20
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Now, please excuse me, as I'm off to play Half-Life 2 in a completely unofficial capacity...
Turncoat.
Splitter.

Right, I'm off to play Pro Evolution Soccer.... :eek: