You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Adventure Gamers +

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2004, 06:18 AM   #61
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
Now, if you had read that post, you would KNOW what my problem was - but you clearly didn't...
Yes, I did read it before, and I read it again, and I still don't understand your gripe. Do you want me to give you a brief summary of the LSL article, the part where it states the writer knows its not an adventure game, but doesn't want people to get confused about it, so he is telling them what it actually is?

If there is a sequel to LSL: MCL, it won't end up on this website unless its an adventure game, because people have been warned by this article.

Some of the site administrators have already told you this site won't turn into something like JA+, so you can stop worrying. Have faith

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 11-19-2004, 06:21 AM   #62
23 Railway Cuttings

So what don't you understand about my problem with the game getting airtime ?
Old 11-19-2004, 06:25 AM   #63
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

Quote:
So what don't you understand about my problem with the game getting airtime ?
The game deserves air time! The article served its purpose. I thought LSL: MCL was an adventure game, and now I know it is not. I would never have played the game either way, but that isn't the point. Other people, like me, thought it was an adventure game because the previous LSL games were adventures. This site is trying to warn people that they will not be getting what they expect if they buy the game.

If it was not a full blown article, just the first few paragraphs that explain what LSL: MCL is not, would that still have bothered you?

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 11-19-2004, 06:43 AM   #64
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerShard
If it was not a full blown article, just the first few paragraphs that explain what LSL: MCL is not, would that still have bothered you?
It would have bothered me much less - I already knew that it wasn't an adventure game as did many other frequenters on the forums here and on other sites. As I explained in my earlier posts, I don't want to see AG drag itself down to the level of JA+ and start covering non-adventures.

If I am honest, I suppose the real reason I am pissed off about the coverage is that someone took the rights to a popular adventure series and produced a complete piece of cr*p. I wouldn't have minded so much if that piece of cr*p had been an attempt at a pure adventure game. We all make mistakes, and we could all have said what we felt (something along the lines of "Aha, I knew they couldn't do it without someone like Al Lowe on board") and that would have been the end of it.

Perhaps we should be putting our energy into petitioning Sierra to tap into their rich heritage and create a proper adventure sequel rather than wasting time with reviews/features on their non-adventures (and non-events for that matter).
Old 11-19-2004, 07:09 AM   #65
Doctor Watson

We've given up, all of us.

When you've been here long enough, you will too.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:14 AM   #66
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
If I am honest, I suppose the real reason I am pissed off about the coverage is that someone took the rights to a popular adventure series and produced a complete piece of cr*p.
Well, here's the second reason for doing the article the way I did. Even if people DO know it's not an adventure, that's no reason to assume it's crap. Today's news links to a review that gives it a 9/10, so who to believe? Well, now we have AG's opinion, so... obviously... believe us.

Quote:
Perhaps we should be putting our energy into petitioning Sierra to tap into their rich heritage and create a proper adventure sequel rather than wasting time with reviews/features on their non-adventures (and non-events for that matter).
If by "we", you mean the adventure community, then by all means we should do that. If by "we" you mean ME, the only one who expended energy writing the article, then the two have nothing to do with one another.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:39 AM   #67
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
That's fine - then roll on the reviews of Doom, HalfLife 1&2, Kotor, BG&E and the other 1000 games out there that qualify more as an adventure game that BeTrapped ever will.
Oh, good. Finally a reason to completely ignore you. Someone make sure the lights get turned out on this thread when everyone leaves because I'm sure not coming back.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 11-19-2004, 08:48 AM   #68
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Words of wisdom, Mattsius... words of wisdom.
Thanks! I know, I'm used to delivering them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Don't look now, but mini-games are becoming a trend in today's adventures. Might just have to warm up the "arcade adventure" label. :eek:
:eek: Thanks for recking my day.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:54 AM   #69
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
Someone make sure the lights get turned out on this thread when everyone leaves because I'm sure not coming back.
Heh, it would actually be quite cool if you could turn out the lights on a thread. The switch would have to be near the door though. Othervise you might fall and brake a leg or something...
Old 11-19-2004, 08:57 AM   #70
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
Oh, good. Finally a reason to completely ignore you. Someone make sure the lights get turned out on this thread when everyone leaves because I'm sure not coming back.
Well then, since I can only presume that you have your tongue firmly up Jane Jenson's backside, I suppose it probably is going to be difficult to answer the few simple questions that I've posed.

And since you aren't coming back to this thread again, you won't be offended by that remark then will you...

Old 11-19-2004, 10:01 AM   #71
fov
Rattenmonster

Why all the hostility? We have been discussing LSL: MCL on this forum for MONTHS. Thread starts up in the adventure forum and people ask me to move it to general gaming. I move it and people yell at me that it belongs in adventure. Clearly there is a lot of question about this game and what it really is - what's the harm in exploring that gray area in a (very enjoyable, well written) article?

The same is true of BeTrapped. It's been discussed exclusively in the adventure forum. It was on the Hype-O-Meter for months. Adventure fans are fond of Jane Jensen and are interested to know more about her project, its adventure roots, how it turned out and whether it's really an adventure. No one is forced to play it, and no one is forced to read the review either.

What I'm having the hardest time understanding is the hostility toward the people who work very hard to run this site. (Not talking about myself here, either.) Jack wrote a very interesting article that said what a lot of adventure fans have been waiting to find out. Evan works really hard to make AG the best site for this genre on the web. I get the feeling some people are angry at Just Adventure's decision to go in a certain direction and are taking it out on us (which makes no sense), or maybe it's just fun to pick fights. Whatever the reason, there is no justification for going around insulting the people who have worked so hard to bring you this site and its content. It's entirely possible to have an intelligent discussion about the content of this site without getting nasty. Have a little respect, and trust that AG's editor in chief (who has been involved in this site for a lot longer than most of us have been around) knows what the hell he's doing.

-emily
Old 11-19-2004, 10:09 AM   #72
Life and times of...

Excuse me, but woud you consider Outcast an adventure game? (Asking this in general...)
Old 11-19-2004, 10:18 AM   #73
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Why all the hostility? We have been discussing LSL: MCL on this forum for MONTHS. Thread starts up in the adventure forum and people ask me to move it to general gaming. I move it and people yell at me that it belongs in adventure. Clearly there is a lot of question about this game and what it really is - what's the harm in exploring that gray area in a (very enjoyable, well written) article?

The same is true of BeTrapped. It's been discussed exclusively in the adventure forum. It was on the Hype-O-Meter for months. Adventure fans are fond of Jane Jensen and are interested to know more about her project, its adventure roots, how it turned out and whether it's really an adventure. No one is forced to play it, and no one is forced to read the review either.

What I'm having the hardest time understanding is the hostility toward the people who work very hard to run this site. (Not talking about myself here, either.) Jack wrote a very interesting article that said what a lot of adventure fans have been waiting to find out. Evan works really hard to make AG the best site for this genre on the web. I get the feeling some people are angry at Just Adventure's decision to go in a certain direction and are taking it out on us (which makes no sense), or maybe it's just fun to pick fights. Whatever the reason, there is no justification for going around insulting the people who have worked so hard to bring you this site and its content. It's entirely possible to have an intelligent discussion about the content of this site without getting nasty. Have a little respect, and trust that AG's editor in chief (who has been involved in this site for a lot longer than most of us have been around) knows what the hell he's doing.

-emily
Hear, hear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptimist
Excuse me, but woud you consider Outcast an adventure game? (Asking this in general...)
I, personally, wouldn't call it an adenture game. The action-adventure label is quite suitable for Outcast IMO.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:28 AM   #74
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

The answer is as follows: Timclayton actually doesn't care that much, but since he has, with this forum, a venue to talk directly to those responsible for the site, he is exploiting it for some stupid purpose of his own. It gives him something to do. It's a cheap way to vent his frustrations about the subject at hand and anything else he might be angry about. The fact that Adventure Gamers is miles away from JA+-style blanket-genre coverage is irrellevant. The fact that the staff has come out and clearly presented what is actually going on is irrellevant. The fact, however, that the staff has shown up and replied at all, is the entire point.

He can disregard the fact that people actually take time out of their lives, unpaid, to write these excellent articles. He can disregard the fact that those behind the site are in fact real people. He can even disregard the fact that he wouldn't be giving a shit at all if AG was a print magazine which by nature didn't have a direct person to person correspondence channel between readers and staff allowing him to spout off like this. It's how the internet works. The best thing to do is ignore from here on out (something Evan's already done).

It's called being a self-centered, possibly bored, troll. This thread moved long ago from the "genuine concern for AG" category, and firmly into the realm of "its all about me."

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 11-19-2004, 11:55 AM   #75
23 Railway Cuttings

I just can't WAIT for that review on Outcast (cos I KNOW it's coming).

Tempted though I am to bow down before the gods mods, I'll stick with my own opinions for now Jake. Thanks anyway though...
Old 11-19-2004, 02:16 PM   #76
rio
Custom User Title

Well as coincidence would have it, look what went up at JA+ today
Magna Cum Laude Review

My favorite part (bold mine)
Quote:
Still though, kudos to Vivendi for at least attempting to resurrect Larry for a new generation of gamers and double kudos for having the courage to stray from Larry’s adventure roots.