You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Moment of Silence review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2004, 03:37 AM   #1

Default Moment of Silence review

Kirk,

I've printed this review, and put it in a cake to send to my grandma (she's in prison). She'll be proud of us.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:19 AM   #2
Bearly Here

Quote:
put it in a cake to send to my grandma
What a good grandson you are! I felt a bit ashamed of my own neglectful behavior and printed a copy of the review and sent it on to my Grandma too.

She said to tell you your Grandma needs a better file, the two of them are close to getting through the back wall.

Any positive comments are well earned, Martin. You guys gotta be proud of this game!

Last edited by LauraMac; 11-12-2004 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:31 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

A very entertaining review. I really can't wait to play this.

Quote:
Even as you read this review online, someone may be keeping tabs on what you read, what you write, what you download, and what you say in internet chat rooms, or even in the Adventure Gamers forum.
We're watching you....

emily
Old 11-12-2004, 09:50 AM   #4
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

I try to fool them. I play some MoS, and then go play some WoW... and then go back to MoS, and then back to WoW.... so that way they can't track me... yeah...

I am so torn between two games right now... I'll have to try to finish MoS before WoW hits retail, so I won't have this problem

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 11-12-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Just ordered MoS today. Given I'm one of those people who really enjoyed Mystery of the Druids, I'm sure I'll love this if it's as greatly improved as Kirk says it is.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
Game fanatic

"The subject of this week's coverage may be the best adventure game of 2004."
Hm, it's really better than Myst IV, you say? Even though that game received 4.5/5?

The game looks very interesting, though. I hope for the nerve of The Black Mirror, without the tedium of useless puzzles.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:24 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Hm, it's really better than Myst IV, you say? Even though that game received 4.5/5?
Y'know, I am struggling with this right now as I try to decide how many stars to give on the L&O3 review I'm working on. Someone else wrote the reviews for the last two games and I know people are going to compare my review to those and say "Well the old game got X stars and the new one got Y, so it must be better/worse."

I think it's more helpful to look at what the stars mean than to try to compare one game to another based on the number of stars those games got, particularly when the reviews are written by two different people. Maybe Kirk wouldn't have given Myst IV as many stars... Or maybe he would have, who knows. (That's not to say that the ranking system doesn't work, just that what the stars *mean* is a common denominator, while the authors of the reviews is not.)

-emily
Old 11-12-2004, 06:37 PM   #8
Banned User

Hello, all!

I contemplated the same issue with Evan Dickens, our wonderful Editor-in-Chief. I said that according to our previous rankings, four stars may appear too low, espcially since far less suprerior games (in my eyes) are also marked with 4s, including Faust and Atlantis II.

Yet, my review was NOT an expression of flawless gaming. And having already laid the groundwork that I do NOT give stars away like candy, I wanted to maintain my own personal expectations for games. The star system for Adventure Gamers is like a grade received in a class, subjective and in dire need of some kind of explanation in order to best understand it.

Myst IV is a game I also enjoy. However, I did not enjoy it as much as TMOS. This is made clear in my personal description of the game. Thus, since a finite scoring is obviously slightly misleading when comparing ACROSS REVIEWERS, it is best to look at my words; those best explain my perceptions.

You may also take a look at all the other games I reviewed for AG. This is my highest score, well-deserved and the only four I would have given out.

Hope this clarifies the review and scoring situation.

Thanks.

Kirk

Last edited by Kirk; 11-12-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:40 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
The star system for Adventure Gamers is like a grade received in a class, subjective and in dire need of some kind of explanation in order to best understand it.
Spoken like a true teacher.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:29 PM   #10
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by oerhört
It may be.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 11-13-2004, 12:55 AM   #11
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
It may be.
The tension in this thread is just unbearable!
Old 11-13-2004, 01:36 AM   #12
merely human

Good work, Kirk. I'll definitely look into this title (still need to download demo - must get over this Starforce crap). Your review didn't delve into such issues as much as I was hoping they would (given your 'teasing' references), but I couldn't help thinking about how very tangible, ubiquitous, and pervasive personal intrusion via technology is today, more so than ever. Real world conspiracies, like the JFK assassination and 9/11, carry a substantial dollop of creepiness and dangling paranoia based more on what we don't know but that a mysterious 1% do.

That said, I'm wondering how far this game pushes the envelope (if at all) in addressing the issue of subterfuge, invasion, and dehumanization through political and societal manipulation, through a 'barcode' tracking system. It would be incredible for an adventure game (or any game, really, but perhaps especially an adventure) to explore this far more deeply and intelligently, and provocatively to the point where the firewall between entertainment and political reality is blurred.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-13-2004, 02:22 AM   #13
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Nice work! As soon as I can politely start ordering games again in my post-birthday zone, I'm grabbing a copy of this. Congratulations to all of the guys at House of Tales, and I look forward to finally banishing the scarring memory of The Mystery of the Druids from my mind .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-13-2004, 04:42 AM   #14
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Your review didn't delve into such issues as much as I was hoping they would
Hello, Trep!

To be honest, the review did go into some extreme detail in my original drafts, but it was magnanimous! The review would have been huge and a trimming was needed in order to keep it appealing to the readers.

Yet, I am interactive. Anyone who wants more information, more perspective or more anything regarding my reviews can contact me. I'm a cuddly teddy bear when it comes to AG and its inquisitive companions.

Kirk

Last edited by Kirk; 11-13-2004 at 05:54 AM.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:04 AM   #15
Game fanatic

Oh, I didn't mean that scores are directly comparable, I just felt puzzled about that statement, since I found Myst IV to be a remarkably high quality, feature rich and well-constructed game.

The The Moment of Silence demo definitely teases me and gives me hope for the genre, but it is more conservative in most aspects than Myst IV, applying a Syberia-esque interface, and not letting you, say, exit a screen without waiting for Wright to run off of it. At least I haven't seen it. And the animation and character models seem to be partly mediocre. Therefore, it's good to hear such competent voice work and see such nice writing, and hear such good audio.

Kirk, I really appreciate your attitude towards the scoring, but I, for one, felt that Myst IV got a very fair judgement with 4.5/5. Nevertheless, it's good to hear that the game has been critically dissected, and found to be worthy of a 4/5. I take it it's really good, then
Old 11-13-2004, 03:17 PM   #16
rio
Custom User Title

Very good review, congratulations. I want to get this game, I really do, but I think I may be paranoid enough as it is. Oh well, I guess a few more tin hats won't hurt me Now I just need to decide whether to import it or wait for the US version.

Last edited by rio; 11-14-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:37 AM   #17
Least used avatar ever

Great review, Kirk. I am going to get this game about as soon as I possibly can.