You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Adventure Gamers +

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 10:50 AM   #21

Well, it's not an adventure, but it's trying to be an adventure while doing things differently (and worse).

Besides, I for one can see the huge step from Leisure Suit Larry to Doom 3 and Half Life 2. You have to be pretty dumb if you don't.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:02 AM   #22
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
Well, it's not an adventure, but it's trying to be an adventure while doing things differently (and worse).

Besides, I for one can see the huge step from Leisure Suit Larry to Doom 3 and Half Life 2. You have to be pretty dumb if you don't.
It's a slippery slope! Today it's Leisure Suit Larry, tomorrow it's EA Sports Tennis 2005!

mag
Old 11-17-2004, 11:27 AM   #23
Doctor Watson

So... MCL is that tennis game?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:53 PM   #24
Dungeon Master

Oh, come on! I had prepared a great speech defending the staff and their right to publish the quasi-review, and now I see that everybody stopped complaining. Great, just great...
Old 11-17-2004, 01:00 PM   #25
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

The article explains right at the beginning why it is being written and why it is on the site... I really don't see what the problem is

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 11-17-2004, 01:28 PM   #26
rio
Custom User Title

The problem is that not once in the "non-review" did they mention that its a tennis game!!
Old 11-17-2004, 01:38 PM   #27
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Oh, come on! I had prepared a great speech defending the staff and their right to publish the quasi-review, and now I see that everybody stopped complaining. Great, just great...
Well, come on, let's hear it anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerShard
The article explains right at the beginning why it is being written and why it is on the site... I really don't see what the problem is
As I explained in a previous post (if you had bothered to read it, which you clearly didn't, which is why I am now having to write this ), my problem is that I don't want to see AG go down the same road as JA and start including non-adventure games.

Yes, I know it had a disclaimer on it, but that's hardly an excuse - I could just as easily write a review of, say, Delta Force Land Warrior with a disclaimer saying something along similar lines. After all, it has an inventory system, you walk/run around in a 3D world, you interact with NPCs etc...
Old 11-17-2004, 01:53 PM   #28
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
Well, come on, let's hear it anyway...
Gee, thanks

(Actually, I was mostly to repeat things that were already said, especially by Jack)
Old 11-17-2004, 01:55 PM   #29
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Gee, thanks

(Actually, I was mostly to repeat things that were already said, especially by Jack)
WHAT!!!
After all that ???
My dear boy, I am dreadfully disappointed...

Old 11-17-2004, 01:56 PM   #30
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Yes, I know it had a disclaimer on it, but that's hardly an excuse - I could just as easily write a review of, say, Delta Force Land Warrior with a disclaimer saying something along similar lines. After all, it has an inventory system, you walk/run around in a 3D world, you interact with NPCs etc...
I have such fond memories of playing The Delta Force of Monkey Island. Are you telling me that they're not AGs any more?

Seriously, coming back to Jackal's post about us serving the wider internet community (I almost feel part of something noble when I hear that. ) I can see this article's place here. Part of defending what adventure games are is pointing out what adventure games are not. Because of the long pedigree of Leisure Suit Larry it's possible ill-informed gamers (i.e. all those casual surfers and not the intelligentsia like us posting here in the forums ) will be sucked into thinking it's an AG. Worse yet, some ignorant gamers will play it and STILL not realise it isn't an AG. I think the article serves the AG community as a whole by clearly separating this game from it's "predecessors"

Yes, it's a slippery slope and we must be careful not to walk to go too many steps down it. But I trust the people running this site to know where to draw the line. As far as I'm concerned they haven't betrayed that trust so far.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-17-2004, 02:00 PM   #31
23 Railway Cuttings

I agree, I just think we could approach it in a different way.

Perhaps we could have a banner at the top of the front page of the site that says "Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude is not only sh!t, it's not even an adventure game!!!".

Just a thought...
Old 11-17-2004, 02:36 PM   #32
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
I agree, I just think we could approach it in a different way.

Perhaps we could have a banner at the top of the front page of the site that says "Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude is not only sh!t, it's not even an adventure game!!!".

Just a thought...
Not quite the in-depth rebuttal of Jack's article but certainly has potential.

Do you think we could convince High Voltage Software that it was banner advertising and get them to pay for it?

Cold Topic

Old 11-17-2004, 02:42 PM   #33
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
Not quite the in-depth rebuttal of Jack's article but certainly has potential.

I really must object to your use of the word "butt" in your previous post. Only someone who plays and enjoys Leisure Suit Larry games would possibly use that kind of phraseology...

stepurhan

Last edited by timcclayton; 11-17-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:52 PM   #34
Homer of Kittens

I for one do not mind having reviews of hybrids here. I mean DOOM 3 is an extreme, but having reviews of BG&E, Psychonauts, or ICO would be refreshing. Now that I said that I will hide under my dest

|
/ \ ==/
|
- -

timcclayton

Firefox rules
Old 11-17-2004, 02:55 PM   #35
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Now that I said that I will hide under my desk

Not under MY desk I hope - we don't want the neighbours talking.
I order you to find your own desk...
Old 11-17-2004, 03:04 PM   #36
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
I really must object to your use of the word "butt" in your previous post. Only someone who plays and enjoys Leisure Suit Larry games would possibly use that kind of phraseology...

stepurhan

Heh heh. You said butt! Heh heh heh!

Cold Topic

Old 11-17-2004, 03:44 PM   #37
Hopeful skeptic

As a follow-up clarification, a lot of people seem to think that not CALLING it a review is just semantics. It's not. Our reviews go in our review database (naturally) and stay there permanently. You won't ever find MCL in the review list. It's a feature interest piece, plain and simple.

8-)

Carry on.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:54 PM   #38
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

It amuses me that this was an issue at all. Adventure Gamers is, obviously, a site for adventure gamers. Adventure gamers around the globe probably want to know, "is this new LSL game an adventure game? What the hell is it at all?" I don't see the problem with AG writing an article about how a new game billed as a spiritual successor to a long-standing adventure game franchise is in fact nothing but.

And I don't see how discussing a Leisure Suit Larry game at all relates to Adventure Gamers somehow becoming a site about non-AG's? The only direct correlation that LSL:MCL and, say, Half Life 2 have in this context is that they're both not adventure games. That's it. Compare that to the genre/reader-interest/historical/etc crossover relevancy of LSL:MCL to, say, the rest of the LSL series, and it becomes very obvious why this article went up.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 11-17-2004, 03:57 PM   #39
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
It amuses me that this was an issue at all. Adventure Gamers is, obviously, a site for adventure gamers. Adventure gamers around the globe probably want to know, "is this new LSL game an adventure game? What the hell is it at all?" I don't see the problem with AG writing an article about how a new game billed as a spiritual successor to a long-standing adventure game franchise is in fact nothing but.

And I don't see how discussing a Leisure Suit Larry game at all relates to Adventure Gamers somehow becoming a site about non-AG's? The only direct correlation that LSL:MCL and, say, Half Life 2 have in this context is that they're both not adventure games. That's it. Compare that to the genre/reader-interest/historical/etc crossover relevancy of LSL:MCL to, say, the rest of the LSL series, and it becomes very obvious why this article went up.
Are we gonna have a review about psychonauts here? Please say yes please

Firefox rules
Old 11-17-2004, 05:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Are we gonna have a review about psychonauts here? Please say yes please
I really doubt it, Psychonauts isn't related to any previous adventure games, and it isn't an adventure game itself. There will probably be a review of Psychonauts at Idle Thumbs instead.