You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback I keep getting logged off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2005, 06:23 AM   #21
Lazi

.......i didn't know i need to click 'remember me' when i log in again,,so it's twice for me after clearing the cookies.........
Old 12-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #22
Epinionated.

I'm honoured to be confused with Trep.

I think...

Am I?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #23
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

How weird Clearing cookies helped. Thanks.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 12-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #24
Codger

Deleting cookies worked, but it seems a rather drastic step. Deleting cookies doesn't only target the AG problem. Now I have to re-log onto every site I visit.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #25
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney
Deleting cookies worked, but it seems a rather drastic step. Deleting cookies doesn't only target the AG problem. Now I have to re-log onto every site I visit.
You could've just deleted the AG specific ones
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 12-09-2005, 04:23 PM   #26
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
You could've just deleted the AG specific ones
Not easily. Tools|Internet Options|Delete Cookies (IE) is the only surefire way to get them all. Unfortunately, it's using a guillotine to remove a pimple.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #27
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I give it less than ten hours before someone makes the obvious suggestion .

On a rather less facetious note, can't cookies be delted manually in Explorer? And aren't they normally named in such a way that one can tell which ones the AG forums have created?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #28
Feind der Anonymitaet!

I use IE, and honestly, just

(1) closing your browser to clear any annoying session cookies
(2) deleting the permanent cookies from this site in the Cookies folder

should do the trick. Never seen that not work. In fact, honest be said, I've never had session cookies interfere with anything (I certainly didn't bother with them cleaning up my IE for this forum, and it's all fine now).

Dunno, maybe I'm just lucky.

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 12-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #29
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
On a rather less facetious note, can't cookies be delted manually in Explorer? And aren't they normally named in such a way that one can tell which ones the AG forums have created?
Permanent cookies, yes, and yes. You mean to imply rtrooney wasn't aware of that? Hmm. I never thought of it that way. But now that you mention it...

Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 12-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #30
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I give it less than ten hours before someone makes the obvious suggestion .
To avoid the suggestion, I happen to like IE. Firefox may be better for some people, but I've tried it, and it doesn't work for me.

If the powers that be here posted a list of the cookies that users should delete that would solve the problem, we wouldn't be having this discussion. They don't, so we're having this discussion.

Yes, perhaps it is possible to find individual cookies, but that's like editing the registry. Trying to do something piecemeal in Windows often doesn't work.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:54 PM   #31
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
You mean to imply rtrooney wasn't aware of that? Hmm. I never thought of it that way.
Trying hard to hold back. Feel a bit of invective coming on that would probably put me on probation.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:04 PM   #32
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
If the powers that be here posted a list of the cookies that users should delete that would solve the problem, we wouldn't be having this discussion. They don't, so we're having this discussion.
Whoa... why so angry?

If you look at your cookies, you should see one that says adventuregamers and one that says forums.adventuregamers. As far as I know those are AG's only cookies, and they're easily identifiable. Deleting them, and then logging in and clicking Remember Me solves the problem. I just tried it myself (first time I logged on using IE since the forum update) and it worked.

I'm sorry you cleared all your cookies and now have to log in to all your websites again, but I'm also frustrated by the hostility directed at the AG "powers that be" over this issue. These types of upgrades happen on websites all the time. Doug didn't know when he did the forum upgrade that it would cause problems with cookies, and telling people after the fact that they can solve the problem by clearing their cookies really isn't a drastic measure. It's a matter of deleting two clearly marked files from a folder... nothing like editing your registry. If you didn't want to clear them all, you should have just asked which ones to delete before you did it.

Last edited by fov; 12-09-2005 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #33
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
If you didn't want to clear them all, you should have just asked which ones to delete before you did it.
Please refer yourself back to the other thread, where Melanie said the solution was to delete cookies.

Where in that thread, or this one, did anyone suggest that cookies could be selectively deleted? And, using various browsers, the procedure for each? And, why should I think to ask what cookies to delete, when the operative word was to delete them all?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:34 PM   #34
fov
Rattenmonster

A couple of posts up. Obviously not in time to spare you from clearing your cookies, but hey, sh*t happens.

As I said - sorry you have to log in to all your websites again. That's inconvenient, I know. But it's silly to get mad at AG like it's some big conspiracy. Doug didn't update the forum software with the intention of inconveniencing you.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:01 AM   #35
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Well, the powers that be here tried to help by posting a suggestion. If you don't like it, youd on't have to do it. You can clear the cookies, or log in every time. That's up to you. I don't especially appreciate the tone, given that I spend my free time working on this site.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:40 AM   #36
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

It's not a failing of the staff or other forum members that you don't know how to use a browser properly, it's a failing on your part. So your anger is just a little bit misdirected.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:59 AM   #37
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I use IE, and it isn't a question of not knowing how to use your browser - it's easy to delete all your cookies in one fell swoop. I had gone into windows and deleted the adventuregamers one but that didn't fix it. Not until yesterday's post, naming the forums.adventuregamers as the second one to delete, was I able to get it back working. I refused to delete all my cookies, to avoid the aggravation of having to sign back into all my regular sights. If the two cookies had been mentioned early on, there may not have been an angry post. When I found that post yesterday, I'd been just about to ask if there was another. I don't think it is realistic to expect the forum members to know the names of the cookies that AG logs into our computers, especially since they're not nearby alphabetically. Cookie files are huge, and the "find" function isn't available to search with.

Lynsie
Old 12-10-2005, 07:14 AM   #38
Hopeful skeptic

Let's make this really simple. Anyone concerned about deleting all their cookies was more than welcome to ask if there was a way to target AG's specifically. Usually one asks such a question BEFORE taking a "drastic step" on the basis of the first suggestion they hear.

I'm sure such a question would have been responded to kindly and informatively.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:29 AM   #39
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Let's make this really simple. Anyone concerned about deleting all their cookies was more than welcome to ask if there was a way to target AG's specifically. Usually one asks such a question BEFORE taking a "drastic step" on the basis of the first suggestion they hear.

I'm sure such a question would have been responded to kindly and informatively.
First, I just want to say I love this site, and I appreciate all of the hard work the mods and administrators put into it for free and during their free time. But, I'm not really technologically savvy and I took the advice posted on the initial thread to just delete cookies. I didn't know it would affect all of my log ins, and I didn't know you could target specific cookies, so I wouldn't even have known to ask about that.

I can understand the frustration at the situation. I'm definitely not frustrated at any of the mods -- maybe just at my own lack of technical know-how.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #40
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
I don't think it is realistic to expect the forum members to know the names of the cookies that AG logs into our computers, especially since they're not nearby alphabetically.
It's not like AG staff has some wealth of knowledge about this that we withhold from forum members. I opened my cookies folder and found those two cookies. That's it, and it's something anybody could have done just as easily by looking in the cookies folder. Although I'm starting to be sorry I wasted three minutes on it.

I just edited Doug's original post about clearing the cookies to add the names of the two cookies that need to be deleted. Hopefully that will prevent future readers from having to take this so-called drastic step.