You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Did You Like Ep. 3?

View Poll Results: Did you enjoy your dinner?
Yeah. It was good. 12 42.86%
Nope. It was bad. 4 14.29%
Eh. It was okay 7 25.00%
Other. It was x 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
SamNMax

Default Did You Like Ep. 3?

I'm 'a go wit' the "It's okay" option. There were some terribly wooden acting scenes and Hayden's turn to the Dark Side moved really fast, which made for pacing problems, and didn't take much convicing.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Citizen of Bizarro World

I agree. Ep III was a glimpse of what the entire triology could've been. As a single movie, it doesn't work.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 08-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
merely human

Is it so bad that I shouldn't even bother renting it, even?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
SamNMax

Go ahead and rent it. It's just a shame, that's all.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #5
capsized.

The last half hour or so was alright. The rest of the movie is the whole dumb (read: non-interactive.. LAME!) video game the whole new trilogy tried to be.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsie
Go ahead and rent it. It's just a shame, that's all.
Nah. Forget it. Netflix has far too many other titles for me that just have to be far better. If I get Ep.3 I might be tempted to use it as a coaster while watching, um.......Barbarella or something.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #7
SamNMax

Other reasons are the big plot hole (Jedi Masters can't sense a conspiracy involving the entire Republic and it's army (not Maddox plagurizing, Ninth. It's a fact)), that missing Wookie battle scene that wasn't even neccesary, and most importantly, the the movie had no soul. Most of the movie, if not all, was filmed in front of a green screen, whereas Ep. 4's Tatooine scene was filmed in Africa. It's a huge shame, actually. Now I wish I voted for the bad option.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
fire breathing

Why is the poll titled Did you enjoy your dinner? I don't know what to answer.

Interesting that you should ask this question, because I just saw it for the second time last night. One new thing I noticed is that I swear they got the E.T theme goin' when yoda beamed up in his little spaceship off of the wookie planet.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #9
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
Why is the poll titled Did you enjoy your dinner? I don't know what to answer.
Lawl.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #10
OB

Loved it and his turn to the dark side was anything but quick. It took about 20 years of prodding and the big push for love to topple him. Completely realistic and I'd do the same. There also wasn't any wooden acting in this one, either which is surprising given II. The effects were a huge improvement, and this was due in part to a heavier usage of old school models.

Great movie and 2nd only to Empire. An instant classic.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:33 PM   #11
fire breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Lawl.

Should I even try to understand you?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:38 PM   #12
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
Loved it and his turn to the dark side was anything but quick. It took about 20 years of prodding and the big push for love to topple him. Completely realistic and I'd do the same. There also wasn't any wooden acting in this one, either which is surprising given II. The effects were a huge improvement, and this was due in part to a heavier usage of old school models.

Well, then. This should be interestng. Hearing what people say to you about this, I mean.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #13
SamNMax

Quote:
Loved it and his turn to the dark side was anything but quick. It took about 20 years of prodding and the big push for love to topple him. Completely realistic and I'd do the same.
Can't argue there. I did, however, think it was weird that he would just trust some vauge dreams and get desperate from a few seconds of one cloudy vision. Then again, love makes everyone desperate. But it wasn't even love that finally made him do it. It was killing token black Jedi. "Hm. I killed Mace. Now what? Oh, might as well join this crusy old guy that I could easily arrest myself, now that he's weak". But then again, once you have a taste of the Dark Side, you don't go back. And Hayden did need him. Okay, good point.

Quote:
There also wasn't any wooden acting in this one, either which is surprising given II.
Oh, boy. You must have watched this movie with the sound muted and the projector on the frits. I think you'll find quite a bit of people disagreeing.

Quote:
The effects were a huge improvement,
Yeah. Gotta agree with that. Effects that suck all of the magic out of a movie and the stuff that made the original a great film, such as a cast with personality, real locations, and great costume and monster design, are awesome.

Quote:
and this was due in part to a heavier usage of old school models.
Really? I didn't see any.

Quote:
Obviously.

Last edited by SamNMax; 08-09-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
fire breathing

Quote:

I semi-agree.

In some respects, the film was brilliant. In others, it was awful. Brilliance:
Spoiler:
: storyline in general coupled with the climax at the end between obi one and anakin.
awful: Hayden Christensen's acting opposite Natalie Portman. While I believed Portman, I really didn't believe Christensen for a second. He's ok at playing the really easy emotions like anger and hatred, but I never got a glimpse of real love cross his features for a second. Makes me wonder if he's ever been in love in real life.

General Comment: The film lacks human empathy. I did get that sense of excitement and pleasure that you get out of watching great acting in movies from Ewan McGreggor, Samuel L. Jackson, and Yoda. Oh, and that guy who played Senator Organa, he was good too.
I never got that sense from Portman, Christensen, or pretty much the rest of the cast.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:56 PM   #15
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

I can't compare this show with any other, since it's the only movie I'd watched this year. Come to think of it, I only watch one movie a year!

Anyway, I felt the Lucas tried to squeeze too many things into one show. He should've resolved a number of things in Episode II, rather than focus so much on the relationship between Padme and Anakin. I mean, yes, we know they got into a relationship, and they give birth to Leia and Luke, but why go to the extend of develop it so much so that it become typical Hollywood? So, that leaves a lot of questions to be answered in Episode III.

And in typical Lucas fashion, he grosses over many many details in order for everything to fall into place. There are so many unsatisfying parts in his explanation of things, like killing kids as the greatest act of evil for bcoming of a Sith? Yoda exiling himself for no better reason than to wait? (and that's after him getting so closed in kicking the butt of Palpatine) And what's the deal with light-saber deflecting Jedi powers?

At the end of the day, I think it's still a very good movie, for as unsatisfactory as it seems, it does seems to be a rather good bridge to Episode IV. Furthermore, there are characters like General Grievious which will go down in the glorious Star Wars franchise as one of the most memorable character, who isn't even cool.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #16
SamNMax

I hated Grevious. He was too much like one of those villains you'd see in silent movies from 1919. Tying women to train tracks and whatnot. Also, what the hell was up with the cough of his?

Old 08-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #17

I thought it was okay. Better than the two before it, but not as good as the originals. I voted for the "good" option because it's better than other sci-fi movies I've seen.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #18
fire breathing

Quote:
Also, what the hell was up with the cough of his?
Technically, he's supposed to be a mix between a droid and a living being.
Spoiler:
that's why obi one had to pry him open and shoot his heart in order to kill him
, so he could probably have a cough, unlike a real droid....
Old 08-09-2005, 07:06 PM   #19
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Quote:
I hated Grevious. He was too much like one of those villains you'd see in silent movies from 1919. Tying women to train tracks and whatnot. Also, what the hell was up with the cough of his?
Your description kinda reminded me of Strong Bad (the talkie-version).

Truthfully, I guess a lot of star wars fan like it mainly due to the cool villians, not the heroes. How many people fell in love with Darth Vader the first time they saw him in The New Hope? And who's the favourite character most chose for Episode I? Not Jar Jar Binks right?

We love Lucas cool villians, but a scumm like Grievious just gave the stereotypical Lucas villian style a twist. We need scum-bags like Grievious to really remind us that Lucas is no one-trick pony. He's a genius.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #20
fire breathing

He's a genius at getting things done, I'll give you that much.