You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default The use of "lol"

LOL has become such a universal term now, and in Finland there are some very weird ways to use it, which have nothing to do with the original meaning, pretty much (much because of the way the Finnish grammar works).

Now, what I'm wondering is, do you actually laugh out loud when you say LOL or something, or are you just mildly amused, or what?

Or does LOL mean to you for example, say, Lots Of Luck or something?

And what do you think, are you and people generally over-using LOL?

Spoiler:
Yes.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Schoolgirl From Hell

Lol.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 06-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
Life and times of...

Have I been lolled now?

Hmm... Maybe there could be a refined version, LOLL: Laughing Out Loud Literally. Then again, there is the word "loll" or to loll or whatever, and that would just be silly.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Schoolgirl From Hell

Nah. You provided me a window of oppurtunity that I couldn't resist.

Usually I use LOL when I find something that really amuses me or when I don't know what else to say. It's a great filler.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 06-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I use rofl when Im really laughing out loud.

Lol...I use it sometimes when im slightly amuse or when someone tells a bad joke or says something not really funny but they seem to find it funny and I think "maybe I sould laugh..." and just say lol to avoid an awkward situation
Old 06-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I'm usually just mildly amused (chuckling or snickering, not a full-blown 'BWAHAHA!') whenever I use 'lol' in IMing, and almost never in a forum post such as this.

What's really annoying is people who either type 'lololololololol' to convey something they think is extremely funny, or saying "lawl" like it's a word *special for SamNMax, you die now! BWAHAHA! *

Um, yes. And when people type "he he", do they really mean "hee hee" or "heh heh"? Just wonderin'.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo
What's really annoying is people who either type 'lololololololol' to convey something they think is extremely funny, or saying "lawl" like it's a word *special for SamNMax, you die now! BWAHAHA! *
Yeah, exactly what I was trying to talk about. Makes no sense when you think about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo
Um, yes. And when people type "he he", do they really mean "hee hee" or "heh heh"? Just wonderin'.
Well, if I say it, it's two sharp e's So it's not either "hee hee" or "heh heh"
Old 06-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I use rofl when Im really laughing out loud.

Lol...I use it sometimes when im slightly amuse or when someone tells a bad joke or says something not really funny but they seem to find it funny and I think "maybe I sould laugh..." and just say lol to avoid an awkward situation
Exactly the same here.

The funny thing is that lol is one of those terms that somehow creep into normal verbal language as well. I've said 'lol' literally quite a few times among friends, when something is mildly amusing but not extremely. Friends tend to do the same.

Recently we had a philosophical discussion about it.
Why do we (subconsciously) introduce 'lol' to verbal language, but refrain from doing so for 'wtf'? We think it's because 'what the ****' is actually faster to pronounce than 'w-t-f', but 'lol' is faster than 'this is funny' or something similar.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #9
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

I never type "LOL" unless the preceding post did in fact cause me to laugh out loud. If said post only makes me snigger a little, then I type "*snigger*".
In answer to an earlier question, I type "hehe" or "hehehe" if the preceding post makes me giggle. I suppose that would be halfway between a snigger and laughing out loud.
I find the people who type "LOL" after each sentence to be somewhat disturbing. I mean, anyone who laughed out loud that much in real life would be locked up in a rubber room in short order. I also find myself wondering if there's not a leaking nitrous oxide source somewhere in these people's vicinity.

Share the love.

<3

Last edited by Sage; 06-10-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #10
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I almost never use LOL.

If something's really, really funny, I use either "XD" or "*dies laughing*".

If something's moderately funny, I use "Hee", "Hee, hee" or "Tee, hee, hee" to indicate different levels of funny.

If something's mildly funny, I use "/me chuckles" or something similar.

If the joke was evil, then of course "Muahahaha" is the proper choice.

In real life I generally have three responses... a smirk, a wide grin, and a belly laugh. I don't snicker, chuckle, or giggle much.

My roommate and I say "WTF, mate?" in real life, but that's because of a Flash video his sister showed us once.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 06-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #11
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I use LOL when I'm sexually frustrated.

LOL!

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 06-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #12
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
Recently we had a philosophical discussion about it.
Why do we (subconsciously) introduce 'lol' to verbal language, but refrain from doing so for 'wtf'? We think it's because 'what the ****' is actually faster to pronounce than 'w-t-f', but 'lol' is faster than 'this is funny' or something similar.
So you pronounce each letter separately then? We don't do that, though I don't pretty much use it anyways. And in Finnish, when not pronouncing 'w' the long way, w-t-f, which you can't really pronounce except by pronouncing each letter separately, is shorter or just as long/short as saying the actual words.

And of course it's such a dirty word, you shouldn't use it
Old 06-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #13
Freeware Co-ordinator

I almost never use abbreviations of any kind. I even type things out completely in text messages as well.

As this discussion just goes to show, everyone has a different idea of what it means so why not say what you mean. Saves misinterpretation. Can see a flame war starting because someone who uses lol for a proper laugh is responding to someone who considers it as, mildly amusing I guess.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
So you pronounce each letter separately then? We don't do that, though I don't pretty much use it anyways. And in Finnish, when not pronouncing 'w' the long way, w-t-f, which you can't really pronounce except by pronouncing each letter separately, is shorter or just as long/short as saying the actual words.

And of course it's such a dirty word, you shouldn't use it
I don't really understand what you're saying, sorry.

I say 'lol' as if it is one word. But it's impossible to pronounce 'wtf' as one word, since it consists of 3 consonants. So the only way to pronounce it would be like 'wee (or double-you) tee eff' which is, in our experience, more difficult to pronounce than simply 'what the ****'. So our subconsciousness decided that there was no point in using the abbreviation.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
I almost never use abbreviations of any kind. I even type things out completely in text messages as well.

As this discussion just goes to show, everyone has a different idea of what it means so why not say what you mean. Saves misinterpretation. Can see a flame war starting because someone who uses lol for a proper laugh is responding to someone who considers it as, mildly amusing I guess.
I agree completely, you shouldn't use these abbreviations in forum topics or so. It's had form. But they're okay on IRC or in an instant messenger I guess, since you're usually talking to close friends there who know you and know what you mean.

They have their place; it's just not on a public forum.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:22 PM   #16
DAVE

Old 06-10-2006, 01:33 PM   #17
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Erm, okay...

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 06-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #18
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
Ah Jesus, the best part of LOL. How could I forget those?
Old 06-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #19
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I have caught myself actually saying "lol" a few times, while not on the Internet.

The funny thing is, I don't actually write "lol" all that often. I actually write *laughs out loud* or something like "That made me laugh out loud" most of the time while on the Internet. I don't do this intentionally, it's something I do without thinking. I don't know why.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #20
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Weird. I hate myself for using "lol" as regularly as I do, but I very rarely say it in real life (except ironically)...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.