You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Did You Like Ep. 3?

View Poll Results: Did you enjoy your dinner?
Yeah. It was good. 12 42.86%
Nope. It was bad. 4 14.29%
Eh. It was okay 7 25.00%
Other. It was x 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #21
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
Technically, he's supposed to be a mix between a droid and a living being.
Spoiler:
that's why obi one had to pry him open and shoot his heart in order to kill him
, so he could probably have a cough, unlike a real droid....
Yup! And the cough really gave him character too. Well, a much better characteristic than Yoda on walking stick on one moment, and jumping around the next.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #22
SamNMax

I don't think he's supposed to be any part droid. I think that's just his armor. And why have him have a cough? It makes him looks so stupid. Comic relief, maybe? I wouldn't be surprised. That stupid slapstick scene with the Sith droids come to mind. That was just embarrassing.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #23
OUATIJ Creator

This is a tough question to answer IMO. I absolutely DESPISED Episode I and II. They were so awful that Episode III seems like a masterpiece by comparison. So, compared to what I was expecting, Episode III was a very pleasant, enjoyable surprise with some effective dramatic moments. I would say that while Episode III doesn't compete with other truly great films, it does hold up very well within the Star Wars saga (particularly when considered among the three prequels).
Old 08-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #24
I'm complicated

Quote:
He's a genius at getting things done, I'll give you that much.
Haha~! That's sounds like the typical desciption for a professional, i.e. reasonably well at getting things done!

Like it or not, Lucas hold the right to the whole Star Wars universe. Hence, as much as the fans (and there are way more SW fans that LOTR fans, the last I'd checked) like to develop the world further, Lucas is unwilling to yield. Typical really of him, especially since many of us have it up there with the high-nose attitude of LucasArts in how they deal with some of the games that're close to our hearts.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:16 PM   #25
I'm complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
I don't think he's supposed to be any part droid. I think that's just his armor. And why have him have a cough? It makes him looks so stupid. Comic relief, maybe? I wouldn't be surprised. That stupid slapstick scene with the Sith droids come to mind. That was just embarrassing.
Grievious is a part droid. That's according to some official handbook I'd read recently.

As for the coughing part, it's much like why Yoda need a walking stick. Maybe it's just a facade. No one could answer that really, but hey! It works. Well, at least it works for most of us...
Old 08-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #26
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
Loved it and his turn to the dark side was anything but quick. It took about 20 years of prodding and the big push for love to topple him. Completely realistic and I'd do the same.
Let me clarify. You would be able to speak the words: "In my point of view, the Jedi are evil!" with a straight face after having mercilessly slaughtered a bunch of children?

Makes sense, thanks.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 08-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #27
I'm complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
This is a tough question to answer IMO. I absolutely DESPISED Episode I and II. They were so awful that Episode III seems like a masterpiece by comparison. So, compared to what I was expecting, Episode III was a very pleasant, enjoyable surprise with some effective dramatic moments. I would say that while Episode III doesn't compete with other truly great films, it does hold up very well within the Star Wars saga (particularly when considered among the three prequels).
Ep I & II are technology marvels. They have totally revolutionalise the whole movie industry in sound and effects, much like how the original Star Wars (The New Hope) have influenced the whole Sci-fi movie genre. The story ain't strong for both and frankly it's not a concern to most of us, since the Star Wars saga didn't exactly have a very strong plot too!

I totally love both of them of the myriad of characters Lucas have introduced. It's always interesting to see how Lucas added in little little details into scenes to give us a better idea of the world, much like in adventure games where we slowly gather more and more knowledge of the world through details, either in conversation, graphics or books. I'd totally loved Ep I in giving more ideas for Tatooine (Jawas rules!), as well as the world before the empire.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:35 PM   #28
I'm complicated

Quote:
Why is the poll titled Did you enjoy your dinner? I don't know what to answer.

Interesting that you should ask this question, because I just saw it for the second time last night. One new thing I noticed is that I swear they got the E.T theme goin' when yoda beamed up in his little spaceship off of the wookie planet.
Geesh! Now I wished I'd watch Ep III again. Man! Why didn't I watch Ep III 7 times like I did for Ep I and II each? Bl00dy foolish of me, I tell you.

Anyway, the only thing I was mad about for that particular scene, was well, Chewy. Why Chewy?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #29
I'm complicated

Quote:
Loved it and his turn to the dark side was anything but quick. It took about 20 years of prodding and the big push for love to topple him. Completely realistic and I'd do the same. There also wasn't any wooden acting in this one, either which is surprising given II. The effects were a huge improvement, and this was due in part to a heavier usage of old school models.
*sniff sniff* Did I sense sarcasm?

Quote:
Great movie and 2nd only to Empire. An instant classic.
I agree with you on that. Ep III is an instant classic that's second only to Empire Strikes Back. Don't you love it when the bad guys win?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:50 PM   #30
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing
Ep I & II are technology marvels. They have totally revolutionalise the whole movie industry in sound and effects...
That stuff doesn't really interest me. Besides, I don't think Ep I or II were as groundbreaking in terms of technology as the original trilogy was for its time. Great technology doesn't make a movie good.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #31
fire breathing

Quote:
That stuff doesn't really interest me. Besides, I don't think Ep I or II were as groundbreaking in terms of technology as the original trilogy was for its time. Great technology doesn't make a movie good.
I dunno man, I saw Episode 3 at a 1 theatre cinema with an enourmous screen, and

Spoiler:
the opening scene with anakin and obi one heading towards General Grievous' command ship just blew my brain out to hyperspace. (yes, ha ha....) I'd be watching the ships flying and anakin and obi one talking, but it seemed like there were literally hundred of events unfolding around them. It felt like I was in the middle of a real space battle.
Even I started to feel slightly inspired to start making movies, thinking to myself, whoa, maybe it is really possible to place your wildest dreams on a movie screen and turn them into a real experience.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:02 PM   #32
I'm complicated

Quote:
I guess ultimately it's really to each his own. People look at things differently, and that's what make each of us so interesting to another. I don't exactly know what's a good movie to you. To me, just the vision of creating something from nothing, and making it into the big screen reasonably well is itself a good piece of art, a good movie.

I agree that it's not as ground-breaking as that of the original trilogy. Remember however that in 1999, when Episode I first came out, no other film have integrated the computer graphics and human acting so well, and in such a big scale. The pod-racing itself is something that's pretty unmatched at that time too.

One must also note that technology moves very very fast these days, unlike in the 80s, where Lucas could explore grounds that was literally miles apart from the others.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #33
I'm complicated

Quote:
I dunno man, I saw Episode 3 at a 1 theatre cinema with an enourmous screen, and

Spoiler:
the opening scene with anakin and obi one heading towards General Grievous' command ship just blew my brain out to hyperspace. (yes, ha ha....) I'd be watching the ships flying and anakin and obi one talking, but it seemed like there were literally hundred of events unfolding around them. It felt like I was in the middle of a real space battle.
Even I started to feel slightly inspired to start making movies, thinking to myself, whoa, maybe it is really possible to place your wildest dreams on a movie screen and turn them into a real experience.
I love the first scene. The whole experience is really really very different from any other space-flight. I was doing a comparison just recently between the dog-fight in Ep IV and Ep III. Miles apart, really. Miles apart!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:05 PM   #34
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:

Spoiler:
Well, I had no such reaction. It was much better than similar battles in Episode I and II though, I'll give it that. However, battles on screen just aren't very interesting unless one cares about the people involved or if they are just really brilliant from a technical standpoint (I don't mean special effects necessarily, I just mean great photography, editing, sound, etc.). I like Anakin and Obi-wan I guess, but there was never any real drama. Everyone knew they weren't in any real danger so seeing them zipping around through space wasn't particularly exciting. I'm glad the sequence inspired you though, that's cool. But give me the final battle in Seven Samurai or the amazing clash in Orson Welles' Chimes at Midnight any day.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:08 PM   #35
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
The pod-racing itself is something that's pretty unmatched at that time too.
The pod-racing sequence was an inferior rip off of the chariot race in Ben-Hur. So, actually the pod-racing sequence was already surpassed by the scene it copied from 1959.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #36
I'm complicated

Quote:
The pod-racing sequence was an inferior rip off of the chariot race in Ben-Hur. So, actually the pod-racing sequence was already surpassed by the scene it copied from 1959.
Not in terms of the story-line or the cliche, but rather the technology in generating the sequence.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:37 PM   #37
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Not in terms of the story-line or the cliche, but rather the technology in generating the sequence.
Didn't impress me... :-( Maybe because I was too busy seeing how blatantly it ripped off the chariot race...it's shot for shot at times. Such is the curse of knowing too much about movie history....
Old 08-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #38
SamNMax

But this argument is why the movie was bad. You're sticking up for it because of the effects, but that's what made it a bad expirience. There's no magic of a movie when you try to impress people with pretty pictures.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #39
Epinionated.

Sam N Max, you speak for me on this one. It's like you've stolen my brain.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:49 PM   #40
I'm complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
But this argument is why the movie was bad. You're sticking up for it because of the effects, but that's what made it a bad expirience. There's no magic of a movie when you try to impress people with pretty pictures.
If you wanna discuss about why the movie is bad, that you ought to use a title like "I Hate SW" as your topic, instead of asking people whether they like it or not.

Anyway, to me, movie isn't about the story, it's about a collection of image and sound. SW to me is a superb movie in that it has lots of lines, sound and imagery that make me so moved towards Sci-fi, like no other media. Frankly, I hate any sci-fi anything, except for SW. I can't even stand Space Quest!!