You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat CD's you wish you never bought

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2005, 03:00 AM   #41
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
I've heard them make some very uncalled-for and disparaging remarks about the Beatles in interviews.
I may be mistaken here but I seem to remember them liking the Beatles earlier on. Liam once said he respected their music. However, when George Harrison (I think)was asked what he thought of Oasis, he said something along the lines of "Well, it's all been done before, hasn't it" . I can only assume that the disparaging remarks about the Beatles started there.

Anyway, I'm with Scott (and don't go changing your mind and leaving me out in the cold here, man!). Everyone's welcome to there own take, but I thought What's the Story..., whilst pleasant enough, was pretty uninspired and hugely derivative of the Beatles. Nice enough if you can stand Liam's vocals, but I'd have to say it's one massively overrated album.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:14 PM   #42
Schoolgirl From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Ha thanks I need that!

Gilly: Erm, yeah. Country... pop... I don't care much for it. It's just one of those temporary insanity moments, I guess It's those overhead music in Tower Records! They're just... hypnotic!

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 07-30-2005, 04:11 PM   #43
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:

As I said, I bought the CD, listened to it once and hated it. Since I respect your taste in music, I will listen to it once more to be sure.

Scott - I wouldn't bother; after all, musical taste is a very personal choice and if you don't like something, then that's your opinion - who's to say it's wrong

Although, I feel I must add that I have bought albums that I really didn't like at first and then have grown to love. Most notably has to be Stone Temple Pilots - Purple and Pearl Jam - Vs.

I don't know why but I really couldn't get into these albums when I first heard them, but now they are two of my favourite bands
Old 07-30-2005, 04:13 PM   #44
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About
The Promise Ring - Wood/Water
Jawbox - s/t

From now on, thou shalt be my worst enemy.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:22 PM   #45
Evil Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
From now on, thou shalt be my worst enemy.
Does this mean you want them? Hey, I can get you a fair price
So there you go
Old 08-01-2005, 02:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Scott - I wouldn't bother; after all, musical taste is a very personal choice and if you don't like something, then that's your opinion - who's to say it's wrong

Although, I feel I must add that I have bought albums that I really didn't like at first and then have grown to love. Most notably has to be Stone Temple Pilots - Purple and Pearl Jam - Vs.

I don't know why but I really couldn't get into these albums when I first heard them, but now they are two of my favourite bands
STP were great.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #47
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection
STP were great.

Oh yes, STP were indeed a great band, and Core and Purple hardly ever leave my cd player, wether it's in the car or in bedroom

If I'm not mistaken, Scott Weiland is now the lead singer for Velvet Revolver, accompanied by the guitar genius Slash

When I first heard Velvet Revolver I was well impressed! I thought they sounded just like STP! After listening a few more times I could see the differences, but I have to say I still think they're quite good, although they could never compare to STP

Old 08-14-2005, 01:58 PM   #48
Banned User

Ugh...just bought Bush: Deconstruction. I thought it was going to be an awesome rock cd, but what I got instead was techno crapola. Good thing I only paid $1.33 for it.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:44 PM   #49
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Ugh...just bought Bush: Deconstruction. I thought it was going to be an awesome rock cd, but what I got instead was techno crapola. Good thing I only paid $1.33 for it.
I've got to agree, imo Bush went downhill after 16 Stone and Razorblade Suitcase
Old 08-14-2005, 04:09 PM   #50
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
I've got to agree, imo Bush went downhill after 16 Stone and Razorblade Suitcase
Count me in on that, too. It seemed Bush's music was better when they were less settled and content. Should this phenomenon henceforth be referred to as "The Sting Syndrome"?

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-14-2005, 04:14 PM   #51
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Count me in on that, too. It seemed Bush's music was better when they were less settled and content. Should this phenomenon henceforth be referred to as "The Sting Syndrome"?

ScottMate

Hehe! Maybe you've just coined a new phrase there!
Who knows, in a couple of years it might be included in the English Dictionary
Old 08-14-2005, 11:09 PM   #52
The Impostor

Quote:
They also seem to be deeply influenced by the Beatles to the point that a lot of their songs sound like "B"-side Beatles
None more so then in the chorus of the Beatles' "Hey Bulldog".

Old 08-14-2005, 11:42 PM   #53
Banned User

This might ensure my place in hell, but I HATE the Beatles.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:46 PM   #54
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
And down you go . Is this a Beatles vs Stones thing, or do you hate them too?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:51 PM   #55
The Impostor

Quote:
Who do you like then? And even if you do hate The Beatles, you can't deny their enormous influence on popular music. Also, I don't know the reasons why you hate them, but it may just be because they are so popular. I know a lot of people who dislike The Beatles simply because everyone likes them and they routinely top "Greatest Albums" polls. If they were an unknown band and these people stumbled across them in a record store or something, they'd probably love them. But you probably have a different reason for hating them and I should probably stop ranting and let you explain.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:11 AM   #56
Banned User

I don't like the stones either. First, I hate The Beatles because everyone, at the time, thought they were badasses with their long hair (what?!), but they made wuss music. Even in the 70's, when they were a little more edgy, they were still wusses compared to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath...and The Who...those bands. You think The Beatles changed music? Alice friggin Cooper changed music, Queen changed music, Judas Priest changed music, not a bunch of wussie with bowl shaped hair, ya dig?

For the record, i've always been a fan of the Beatles members AFTER the Beatles....except for Ringo...still a wuss.

What do you mean who do I like? As in current music, or in their generation? I don't care if everyone loves them. Most people love Nirvana, as do I (hate Pearl Jam thanks), I just think they're the #1 overrated band in the world.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:20 AM   #57
The Greater of Two Evils

Dave Mustaine owes me $15 for the copy of The System Has Failed I bought. Never have 30-second samples been so misleading.

Megadeth is not Megadeth without Marty Friedman, David Ellefson, and Nick Menza.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #58
The Impostor

Quote:
What do you mean who do I like? As in current music, or in their generation?
In general.

Quote:
they were still wusses compared to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath
Fun fact: Ozzie Osbourne was an enormous fan of The Beatles and they were the reason he joined the music scene.

Quote:
For the record, i've always been a fan of the Beatles members AFTER the Beatles....except for Ringo...still a wuss.
Now that's odd. Their solo work, in my (and most people's) opinion, pales horrendously compared to their work as a band. Paul's, for instance, was 10 times 'wussier' then his Beatles work. Oh well, I guess I'll be sitting back and enjoying "Eleanor Rigby" while you rejoice in the heart-felt subtlety of "Silly Love Songs".

Quote:
First, I hate The Beatles because everyone, at the time, thought they were badasses with their long hair (what?!), but they made wuss music.
That's not a reason to hate them personally.

Quote:
You think The Beatles changed music? Alice friggin Cooper changed music, Queen changed music, Judas Priest changed music, not a bunch of wussie with bowl shaped hair, ya dig?
Ok, write me an essay on Alice Cooper's, Queen's and Judas Priest's influence on music and compare it with one on The Beatles. Incidentally, weren't Queen utter bad-arses?

Also, I find it disturbing to note that you seem to judge a band's talent by their level of 'hardcoreness' and not on their actual skills.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:04 AM   #59
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

It's madness! I'm agreeing with omloflump and disagreeing with temporaryscars!
What's next? Will the sky turn black and rivers turn to blood? Will dogs and cats start living together peacefully? Will the four horsemen, Famine, Death, Pestilence, and Malibu Barbie, arrive in the Barbie Camper of doom?
Utter chaos, I tell ya!

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-15-2005, 06:19 AM   #60
with extra cheese!

Quote:
wuss music... wusses ... wussie ...still a wuss...
It must be painful to listen to music that threatens your manhood so much, eh?

Quote:
What do you mean who do I like? As in current music, or in their generation? I don't care if everyone loves them. Most people love Nirvana, as do I (hate Pearl Jam thanks), I just think they're the #1 overrated band in the world.
This is interesting. Nirvana always topped my list as the most overrated band in the world.
and all the signs that should show me what's right and what's wrong have been knocked down, shaken and smothered by previous lovers and non-descript others like me, who don't know what it's for, all I know is that I want more.