You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #1341

Highlander - not a bad movie. Could be better if it had more substance added. Reading the plot summary for Highlander 2 makes it sound like it's downhill from here. An anti-ozone shield?!

The Thief and the Cobbler - I should note that I watched an unofficial release that tried to show it as correctly as possible, including with unfinished animation. The animation and art style were amazing.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #1342
Super Moderator

MASH (the 1970 movie)

Brilliant as always. It had a lot more humor and really very little of the anti war preaching than the TV series did. I liked the antiwar theme of the TV series but the raunchy humor of the movie is lots of fun.
Quote:
Duke Forrest: What color was her hair?
Trapper John: Black, shiny. Shiny black hair.
Duke Forrest: Black. You like black, huh? I'm kinda partial to blondes myself.
Hawkeye Pierce: I knew it. I knew you had a - - had an attraction for Hotlips Houlihan.
Trapper John: Hear, hear.
Duke Forrest: Go to Hell, Captain Pierce. You know I damn near puke every time I look at her. 'Sides, I'll bet she's not a real blond.
Hawkeye Pierce: How dare you say that about an officer of the United States Army, sir.
Duke Forrest: I'll not only say it, but I'll back it with twenty bucks, how's that?
Hawkeye Pierce: You have yourself a bet, sir.
[to Trapper]
Hawkeye Pierce: You're my witness.
Trapper John: I'll be a witness, but who's going to be the poor schmuck who finds out?
Duke Forrest: We... We gotta all see it together.
And then they proceed to all get a look

I also learned that this was the first major motion picture to use the word f***.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:18 PM   #1343
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
Highlander - not a bad movie. Could be better if it had more substance added. Reading the plot summary for Highlander 2 makes it sound like it's downhill from here. An anti-ozone shield?!
The second one is still kind of fun, in a silly B-movie way, but I dare you to watch the subsequent parts.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:54 AM   #1344
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Hmm, all the movies that I saw while I was in England.
I might not remember all of them, because we saw about 11 movies in movie theaters...

Alien Autopsy
Failure to Launch
Tristan + Isolde
X-men 3
Silent Hill
Da Vinci Code
16 Blocks
Scary Movie 4
American Dreamz
Confetti
Mission Impossible 3

I think those are all of them, I'm not sure though because we did visit the movie theater A LOT.
But I must make this clear, only a small part of these movies were MY CHOICE, others were chosen by the two girls who accompanied me for this UK adventure.

I also saw a pile of DVD movies.

Born on 4th of July
Garfield
Hudsucker Proxy
Miller's Crossing
The Big Lebowski
Blood Simple
Barton Fink
Corpse Bride
Deuce Bigalow 2: European Gigolo (what a horrible and stupid movie...)
Finding Neverland
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 06-13-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #1345
merely human

I finally just reinstated my Netflix account and am now starting again to catch up on my movies.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith - A cute but ultimately disengaged romantic action comedy thingy. As always, 'Pillow Lips' Jolie looks drop dead gorgeous and naturally wicked, so it seems a no-brainer for her. I think they could've truly pushed the envelope on this one but instead played it safe and ended up with a cynical yet clinical look at marriage. You're far, far better off with the teasingly evil Mr. & Mrs Smith (1941) from the master himself, Alfred Hitchcock.

Batman Begins - Hey, I liked this more dramatic and deeply gloomy rendition. It's refreshing after seeing Tim Burton's more "Please-don't-hate-me-'cause-I'm-weird" interpretation of the comic book hero's story. Batman as humanistic character study, and philosophical clashes to boot. I also like how the special effects this time takes the passenger seat while the human drama drives. A mindful action movie - the hero's journey.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 06-17-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #1346
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Ghostbusters

On a whim I bought the double pack of this and the sequel; I last saw them quite a while ago. They're inoffensive, if not the funniest of films.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #1347
gin soaked boy

Population 436

For a while it seemed like a really neat little thriller, but then they ruined it with some trully cheap and unnecessary plot devices. And what was that laughable CGI fire all about? Talk about no budget...

Still, the fair and hospital basement scenes were priceless and it was worth it if only to see Fred Durst cry.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:40 PM   #1348
Lovable rogue

Default Strength through unity...

V for Vendetta.

So I finally got around to watching it. I must say I don't usually go for films based on comic books, but I really enjoyed this picture.

Natalie Portman, bless her cotton socks, I really wasn't buying her English accent. At best it was an above average impersonation, but it wasn't an authentic replication by any means.
Kudos to her for shaving her head though, Sigourney Weaver beat her to it by a decade or so, but still it enhanced the impact of that plot point. So hats off, or maybe on in Natalie's case.

Stephen Fry, who doesn't love Stephen Fry? He brought something special and uniquely him to the role, that, if absent, would have been of detriment to the piece.

One last note, I could never ever condone the destruction of the Palace of Westminster and St. Stephen's Tower. It is simply a horrendous act of historic vandalism.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 06-17-2006, 12:19 AM   #1349
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Batman Returns - Hey, I liked this more dramatic and deeply gloomy rendition. It's refreshing after seeing Tim Burton's more "Please-don't-hate-me-'cause-I'm-weird" interpretation of the comic book hero's story. Batman as humanistic character study, and philosophical clashes to boot. I also like how the special effects this time takes the passenger seat while the human drama drives. A mindful action movie - the hero's journey.
That would be Begins, wouldn't it?

I am a great fan of Tim Burton in general, and his two Batmans in particular, but still agree Nolan's film was the best take on "Caped Crusader" to date.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:25 AM   #1350
merely human

Sorry, it's Batman Begins, yes. Fixed it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-17-2006, 06:10 PM   #1351
is not wierd

Scent of a Woman by Martin Brest - Al Pacino basiclaly made the movie. Without his awesome, engaging performance it'd be a much, much lesser movie. Not to discredit the other aspects of the film, as it's all tastefully done but that's really it. The only outstanding part of it is in Pacino.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #1352
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Hoodwinked
Old 06-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #1353
Citizen of Bizarro World

Nacho Libre
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 06-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #1354
The Reggienator

I'd really like to see Nacho Libre, but I doubt that it will ever come to the movie theaters in Finland...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:08 AM   #1355
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Woops, I forgot. I saw Nacho Libre on Friday.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:12 AM   #1356
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I finally just reinstated my Netflix account and am now starting again to catch up on my movies.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith - A cute but ultimately disengaged romantic action comedy thingy. As always, 'Pillow Lips' Jolie looks drop dead gorgeous and naturally wicked, so it seems a no-brainer for her. I think they could've truly pushed the envelope on this one but instead played it safe and ended up with a cynical yet clinical look at marriage. You're far, far better off with the teasingly evil Mr. & Mrs Smith (1941) from the master himself, Alfred Hitchcock.

Batman Begins - Hey, I liked this more dramatic and deeply gloomy rendition. It's refreshing after seeing Tim Burton's more "Please-don't-hate-me-'cause-I'm-weird" interpretation of the comic book hero's story. Batman as humanistic character study, and philosophical clashes to boot. I also like how the special effects this time takes the passenger seat while the human drama drives. A mindful action movie - the hero's journey.
The Mr. & Mrs. Smith TV series was great, Im a big fan of the series so I had some high expectations for the film, I thought it was a good movie, safe but good.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 06-18-2006, 06:06 AM   #1357
The Reggienator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
The Mr. & Mrs. Smith TV series was great, Im a big fan of the series so I had some high expectations for the film, I thought it was a good movie, safe but good.
I'd like to see again the tv series from the early 90's that had Scott Bakula in the lead role.

Old 06-18-2006, 08:38 AM   #1358
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
I'd like to see again the tv series from the early 90's that had Scott Bakula in the lead role.
Quantum Leap? Heh.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:41 AM   #1359
Super Moderator

Scott Bakula was in the series Mr. and Mrs. Smith (and also in Quantum Leap).
Old 06-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #1360
The Reggienator

Yeah, the Bakula version of Mr and Mrs Smith lasted only half a season, 13 episodes, but they showed the series in Finland.

Quantum Leap was cool too.