You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 08:03 AM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
What I don't get actually is that so may people fail to grasp what sanjuro pointed out. It does take a careful watching but it's not very hard to figure out what is going on. I love David Lynch's movie because of his style in storytelling, you don't get the story spoon-fed to you. You actually have to work to get the story and that helps me to feel closer, more personal to the story. Mulholland Drive is my second favorite David Lynch film after Blue Velvet.
To be honest, even though I saw it twice, I still didn't get it until a friend told me
Spoiler:
that the ending was the reality, and the beginning a dream

I have no idea why, because now that I've got it it seems obvious, but I really had no clue.
And it's also my second favorite after Blue Velvet, with Lost Highway a close third. And with Dune somewhere just behind.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:10 AM   #342
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
How do you explain the man in the alley, though? And the guys speaking in the cafe?

EDIT: Also, I don't remember exactly how the movie ends (last 5 minutes)...
I agree with gilly as far as the man in the alley is concerned. As for the two men talking in the diner, I can remember their faces and voices, but not their words so I've forgotten their meaning (2 years is a long time to go without seeing a movie, heh).

Anyway, I think I remember the last 5 minutes...

Spoiler:
The two old people from the beginning at the Jitterbug contest, emerge as tiny people from a bag I think and start terrorizing Diane until she shoots herself, heh. Is that right?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
I agree with gilly as far as the man in the alley is concerned. As for the two men talking in the diner, I can remember their faces and voices, but not their words so I've forgotten their meaning (2 years is a long time to go without seeing a movie, heh).
One of the guy, that she meets in the cafe in the end part, talks about his dream where he's in the cafe, goes in the alley, and see the dead man (by the way, to me this guy is Death or something). Then they go out and... surprise. (almost had an heart attack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Anyway, I think I remember the last 5 minutes...

Spoiler:
The two old people from the beginning at the Jitterbug contest, emerge as tiny people from a bag I think and start terrorizing Diane until she shoots herself, heh. Is that right?
I remember the tiny parents ( ), but not the... other part...
Old 09-15-2005, 08:17 AM   #344
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
And it's also my second favorite after Blue Velvet, with Lost Highway a close third. And with Dune somewhere just behind.
I was in my full throttle David Lynch fan mode about the time Mulholland Drive came out. I haven't seen any of his films in over two years, but if I remember correctly, I was convinced that Mulholland Drive was his best film. Heh. I'm one of those people that think Blue Velvet is a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie, I just don't think it's an absolute American classic (which is sort of its reputation).

I also love The Elephant Man and The Straight Story (this one hasn't been seen by as many people as his others, but it's excellent). I hate Dune though.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:47 AM   #345
Elegantly copy+pasted

Another vote of support for OAV's succinct and articulate summary. I posted some very similar things to movie forums a couple of years ago. The film has also been analyzed in Salon, and there was an amateur audio commentary that walked you through the film in real time, pointing out all the hints and how things tied together.

I think Mulholland Dr. is probably Lynch's most beautiful film, but I also feel that it's a bit "cheap". The fact that it all wraps up in a neat, sensible package at the end rather ruins the Lynchian weirdness and ambiguity, to my mind. The "it was all a dream" ending is a bit of a cop-out, and pretty threadbare at this point (having been used way too often since Alice in Wonderland). And the close correspondence to Lost Highway makes it seem like Lynch is repeating himself.

All in all, I think it's an excellent introduction to David Lynch. Probably his most accessible work since 'Twin Peaks' (apart from The Straight Story, which isn't really characteristic of his style). However, I think most people who are more familiar with his work will recognize that it's Lynch on autopilot.

I don't think I could choose a personal Lynch favorite. Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, 'Twin Peaks', Lost Highway and The Straight Story are all excellent, as are many of his short films. I think the only thing of his I didn't like at all was Wild at Heart, and even that may be a fine movie that just doesn't appeal to me.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Dune. That sucked.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:11 PM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Edit: Oh yeah, and Dune. That sucked.
Oh yeah, like THAT's original...

Ok, if anyone reading this thread thinks that Dune is great, let him raise his hand!

*raises hand, feels a bit lonely*
Old 09-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #347
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh yeah, like THAT's original...

Ok, if anyone reading this thread thinks that Dune is great, let him raise his hand!

*raises hand, feels a bit lonely*
Kyle MacLachlan - very sexy as Paul
Linda Hunt - creepy as Shadout Mapes
Sting - (he was so cool)
The blue eyes
The worms!!

Nothing intellectual here but I did like the movie (are you less lonely?)

I loved the book too. I certainly can't compare it to any of David Lynch's other movies because I haven't seen any others (except Twin Peaks).

*runs*
Old 09-15-2005, 02:52 PM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Kyle MacLachlan - very sexy as Paul
Linda Hunt - creepy as Shadout Mapes
Sting - (he was so cool)
The blue eyes
The worms!!

Nothing intellectual here but I did like the movie (are you less lonely?)

I loved the book too. I certainly can't compare it to any of David Lynch's other movies because I haven't seen any others (except Twin Peaks).

*runs*
Thanks for the support.

I love pretty much everything about Dune; Mac Lachlan is probably my second favorite actor, Sting rocks so much it shouldn't be allowed, the blue eyes and the worms are awesome, the home planet have very different, yet, very peculiar feelings, the desert shots are cool, the music is great, the story is fascinating (obviously), etc, etc...

You should try Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive. All incredible movie material.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #349
Elegantly copy+pasted

On the other hand, the main character is a teenager who's clearly in his twenties, the score is by TOTO, the desert shots somehow manage to be claustrophobic, it's full of painful voice-overs, the story makes no sense unless you've read the book, the decadent Harkonnens apparently live in all the opulence of a factory warehouse, the ending has been changed to be contrary to everything Frank Herbert intended, Duncan Idaho dies defending a dog (a ******* dog!), and the shield effects are pathetic.

Also, two words: weirding modules.

Whatever your preference is, I guess. You can at least be happy that the film (in both its main cuts) is finally available in a number of good DVD editions, with handsome transfers and a plethora of bonus material. How I wish they'd treat Blade Runner the same way! (The ultimate special edition, with a new, definite cut the way Ridley Scott wanted it, has been put on hold until ... essentially until Jerry Perenchio dies.)
Old 09-15-2005, 03:32 PM   #350
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

*stubbornly keeps hand where it is, and that's not raised up in the air*

Anyway, I just went and saw Red Eye. What can I say, I'm now a sucker for Cillian, though I think he rocks that much more as the scarecrow, but this is a nice little extra. At least, the beginning. The end, well. Let's say I'm missing something that was desperately hinted at in the beginning. It's just simply MISSING. Must... have...

*slaps self*

Ahem. Anyway. Cutting out the last half hour or so, a most excellent movie. Otherwise, a good average, great to munch popcorn to, and good oppurtunity to stare longingly at the cute guy on the screen.

...I think I deviated from what I was originally going to say, again.

You get the point.

*hastily flees thread* o_o
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-15-2005, 03:33 PM   #351
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Try breaking up with Big R and then watching it.
I'm not breaking up with big R. Everything's gonna be fine now.....because I told him next time he f#&ks with me I got options and I'm f#&king gone (we had an ugly weekend, he's a typical man - sucks huge time at being more expressive and communicative - and I gave him an ultimatum; nobody f#&ks with me anymore and expects to get away with it).

And yeah, I watched the movie during this awkward time. I'm ultimately made of solid steel on the inside. I can take huge emotional shit like this. This seems the kind of movie many men refuse to see with their girlfriends 'cause they don't have the balls to explore such truths.

Quote:
Man, I hated that film when I saw it because it was too good... and I really didn't need to be put through an emotional grinder! What did you think anyhow?
That it bravely explored these ideas of what love is and how you choose to incarnate love to one another and what that means is what I relished about Closer. It's very delicate and volatile, that one person's chosen expression of love for their mate - whether it's raw and sexual (Clive Owen), layered with contradictions and self doubt (Julia Roberts), insensitively passionate and enduring (Jude Law), or defiantly pure in its eschewing expectations and in its lack of season (Natalie Portman) - can seriously challenge and even desecrate the other's self cathected sanctity, but may not necessary invalidate it.

Otherwise, the movie suffered, especially its latter half, from too much proselytizing - after a while it felt too wordy, an inevitability (perhaps) of its stage play origin, and I felt like a ping pong ball getting knocked back and forth between interrogative velvet paddles.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-15-2005, 03:45 PM   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
On the other hand, the main character is a teenager who's clearly in his twenties, the score is by TOTO, the desert shots somehow manage to be claustrophobic, it's full of painful voice-overs, the story makes no sense unless you've read the book, the decadent Harkonnens apparently live in all the opulence of a factory warehouse, the ending has been changed to be contrary to everything Frank Herbert intended, Duncan Idaho dies defending a dog (a ******* dog!), and the shield effects are pathetic.

Also, two words: weirding modules.

Whatever your preference is, I guess. You can at least be happy that the film (in both its main cuts) is finally available in a number of good DVD editions, with handsome transfers and a plethora of bonus material. How I wish they'd treat Blade Runner the same way! (The ultimate special edition, with a new, definite cut the way Ridley Scott wanted it, has been put on hold until ... essentially until Jerry Perenchio dies.)
I had no idea Paul was supposed to be a teenager; to me he's 18 or so, and so he looks in the movie. The soundtrack rocks, no matter who did it, I hadn't read the books before I saw the movie, but had played the game, and it made a lot of sense. I liked the voice-overs, the Harkonnens are shown differently that they did in the book, but not having read it, I didn't care, the same goes for the ending, and the weirding modules . Oh, and the shield effects are cheesy, but i didn't mind them, it just added to the overall medieval-ish atmosphere. And Duncan dies defending Paul, not a dog.

But so that you know, Blade Runner is my favorite movie.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #353
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Recent seen movies:

Monsters Ball:

Great movie, really emotionally touching..And I really liked Halle Berrys "acting skills"!

The Pacifier:

I mean, Vin Diesel changing diapers??
Old 09-19-2005, 07:40 AM   #354
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Yesterday I saw "Howl's Moving Castle" in the cinema.

I'd love to express how astonishing and great it was, but I am absolutely speechless.

Go see it, if you haven't done so yet!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:38 AM   #355
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I just read today that Howl's Moving Castle is going to be dubbed in finnish.
And I just know that only the dubbed version will come to Vaasa.

Oh well... I guess that I'm just going to have to wait and buy it on dvd in order to see it.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:55 AM   #356
Just charging up

Is there a wise man/woman around here that can enlighten me about the connection (if any) between:
"Howl's Moving Castle" and "Castle in the Sky" ?
Cause I'm confused...
Old 09-19-2005, 10:14 AM   #357
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Veil
Is there a wise man/woman around here that can enlighten me about the connection (if any) between:
Cause I'm confused...
Both movies were directed by the same guy. Besides that, I don't know.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:19 AM   #358
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Veil
Cause I'm confused...

"Howl's Moving Castle" is an anime loosely based on the fantasy novel of the same name by the British author Diana Wynne Jones.

"Castle in the Sky" is related to it only by the fact that they were both directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-19-2005, 02:04 PM   #359
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
"Howl's Moving Castle" is an anime loosely based on the fantasy novel of the same name by the British author Diana Wynne Jones.

"Castle in the Sky" is related to it only by the fact that they were both directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

-
And that they both have the word "Castle" in the title .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:51 AM   #360
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I just finished watching 12 Monkeys.
Excellent movie in my opinion.

One of my favourite Gilliam movies.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.