You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 11:12 PM   #1061
Homer of Kittens

I saw Arlington road on Sunday and LOVED it. Who else thinks that Tim Robbins is an ace actor?

I also saw Innerspace this weekend for the fourth time. If you haven't watched innerspace, go do yourself a big favor and watch it. Wonderful movie.

Firefox rules
Old 04-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #1062
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Re: Inside Man. Honestly, I didn't get the whole OMGWTFHOWEEEVIL bit, either, but then, I didn't that much perceive it as preaching, really. Obviously, my ideals and the ideals of the bank robbers differ, but I can live with that, especially with the introduction of "why? because I can". Honestly, I can only stress that I truly found that was the main reason, emotionally, and that the rest are actually trivial extra bits.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 04-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #1063

Casanova, not Fellini's one, no. Perhaps the crappiest movie of its kind I've ever seen I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but this was...
Old 04-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
I saw Arlington road on Sunday and LOVED it. Who else thinks that Tim Robbins is an ace actor?

I also saw Innerspace this weekend for the fourth time. If you haven't watched innerspace, go do yourself a big favor and watch it. Wonderful movie.
*Raises hand One of his better parts, although it doesn't really make up for his WotW part
Old 04-08-2006, 06:57 AM   #1065

Slither. Awesome flick, one of the better horror films of recent years (still doesn't beat DotD though). Pretty funny, which is to be expected from James "Lollilove" Gunn and genuinely creepy at times. Highly recommended.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #1066
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Walk The Line Not a bad film at all. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon both do excellent jobs of reproducing their character's singing voices. The story was accurate, but Ms. Witherspoon's wardrobe was waaayyy off; June Carter was a wonderful woman in many ways but she never dressed that stylishly in her entire life! Jackie Kennedy she was not, but the director seemed to think that she was.
But no matter. The film captured the humor and directness that Johnny and June shared from the moment they met, and that was the real point.

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #1067
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Slither. Awesome flick, one of the better horror films of recent years (still doesn't beat DotD though). Pretty funny, which is to be expected from James "Lollilove" Gunn and genuinely creepy at times. Highly recommended.
I wanna see it cause Nathan Fillion's in it.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #1068

I went to see Lucky Number Slevin today. It was a mediocre movie, and not something I'd choose to watch again. I can enjoy mediocre movies, but this wasn't the type of movie for me.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #1069
Explorer of the uncharted

I saw Lord of War yesterday. It was both honest and refreshing, a movie that tells it like it is.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #1070
Citizen of Bizarro World

Ditto for Thank you for Smoking. Great flick
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-09-2006, 06:40 AM   #1071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares
I wanna see it cause Nathan Fillion's in it.
Heh, his role isn't actually that far away from Serenity/Firefly's, minus the weird sci-fi slang and stuff..
Old 04-09-2006, 08:47 AM   #1072
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

V for Vendetta - Very good, but not exceptional, movie. It was a bit awkward at first, but I think I've found a word for said awkwardness... this is not a typical movie, but a theatre piece. Once I'd started to consider the movie that, everything fell into place as rather well done. Before I'd considered that, I felt a bit out of place.

I continue to believe the statement "People should not be afraid of their government, but the government should be afraid of their people" (or how it is in the original wording) is hogwash, especially since if the government is afraid of the people, it is more likely IMO to do censorship. Afterall, why censor if you're not afraid people will say something that could cause your downfall?
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 04-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #1073
gin soaked boy

Michael Mann's The Keep. Just awful.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:09 AM   #1074
Elegantly copy+pasted

Primer

It's an independent movie (made for $7000, and with one guy writing, directing, producing, starring, editing and composing the music, and with his dad and sister in two of the other roles) that won the jury award at the 2004 Sundance festival. The story is about a couple of garage inventors who accidentally build a time machine. The results are... confusing.

Now, I took Memento in stride, and I thought Mulholland Dr. was too obvious, but this film really took my head for a spin. I actually watched it four times in one night (it's only slightly more than an hour long), twice with the director's commentary and the actors' and crew commentary, and I still couldn't figure everything out. But it does make sense! Discussions on the Internet use complicated diagrams to explain the plot.

It is a great movie, though, with a good script and excellent (excellent!) acting from the first-time cast. Not only did I never notice that they weren't professionals; it never occured to me that they weren't the characters they were playing. A thinking man's science fiction film. If you liked Cube, or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, you should check out Primer.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:18 AM   #1075
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Alien vs Predator
I was expecting terrible, and I got mediocre. I've also come to the conclusion that Paul W S Anderson isn't actually a terrible director, though he is certainly no writer. A case of needing to work with someone else's script, perhaps?

Anyway, the film. It's very cheesy, but at the same time reasonably entertaining.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #1076
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I was expecting terrible, and I got mediocre.
That was exactly my reaction to Mortal Kombat, by the same director.

Then again, I was only 11 at the time...
Old 04-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #1077
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Heh. I guess this is why Anderson got dropped by the hate brigade once Mr Boll appeared; he doesn't actually make abysmal films, merely consistently disappointing ones.

If that makes any sense.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #1078
Lovable rogue

I just watched Eating Out.

The premise is, a straight man pretends to be gay in order to get close to a woman he wants, by dating her gay best friend. As you can imagine hilarity soon ensues.
I enjoyed it, the acting wasn't the best, but it made up for it with some really funny scenes.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #1079
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap
If you liked Cube, or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, you should check out Primer.
I absolutely loved Eternal Sunshine and absolutely hated Cube. Does that mean I'd be kinda meh towards Primer?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:36 AM   #1080
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
I just watched Eating Out.

The premise is, a straight man pretends to be gay in order to get close to a woman he wants, by dating her gay best friend. As you can imagine hilarity soon ensues.
[rant]Good grief. Surely this isn't really a movie?
For starters:
What straight man would pretend to be gay just to get close to a woman? Scratch that...I know a couple who might be that desperate.
Better yet, what gay guy would go out with anyone more than once who didn't "put out"? And what straight woman would date a guy who'd previously dated her gay male best friend?
This premise is reminiscent of the Rock Hudson/Doris Day movie in which Rock (a deeply closeted gay man) portrays a straight man who pretends to be gay in order to get close to Doris's character.
That film was absurd and insulting during the early sixties. I find it hard to imagine that Eating Out is any less so today.[/rant]

Share the love.

<3