You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #3061
The Major Grubert.

Ah, okay. I must have had too much Armagnac that night.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #3062
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Ah, okay. I must have had too much Armagnac that night.
Well, you can't be blamed for not catching everything that happens in At World's End. It's so ridiculously dense. I just got the DVD, and when I watch it in a few days I plan on pausing in between all the scenes to give myself time to digest everything that's going on.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #3063
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Chicken Little
Brain-dead direction, a plot that could have been computer-generated, awkward and amateurish animation, character designs that seem to suggest stuffed animals more than personalities. And then it starts getting bad. This is the worst Disney movie I have ever seen. I stopped watching a half hour in, because I couldn't take any more of it. They released this trash in theaters? The worst part is, this was just one year after Home on the Range!
Old 12-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #3064
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Ho hum. Really, really mediocre. It's like they were given a vaguely reasonable budget, but spent it all on a couple of (rather impressive) CGI scenes and precisely none of it on the set, costumes, supporting cast (bar a couple of notable exceptions) or, most importantly, the script. The added romance was just corny; the added subplot was silly and much of the added humour was just unfunny.

I'll stick to the radio/book versions, methinks.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:43 AM   #3065
Psychonaut

I am Legend

Based on the Richard Matheson book of the same name (although they more or less throw the book story out) and previous filmed as "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston. This is the story of Robert Neville Soldier and Virologist who is the last man alive in New York after a cure for cancer mutates into an unstoppable virus which either killed or transformed people into raging vampire like creatures.

Will Smith is immune to the virus and was one of the people working on a cure while trying to stay alive.

The first half of the movie is superb. The emptiness of a New York overgrown with plants and populated by deer and lions is a sight to behold. Will Smith gives a decent performance as the only man alive with his dog, Sam. During the day he drives around New York hunting for food and supplies. He visits a DVD store and talks to the other shoppers in a surreal scene with dummies. Robert is clinging to sanity after no human contact for 40 months.

There are some real scare moments that will make you jump out your seat near the start of the movie. The hunting scene and especially the first time he goes into a darkened building to save Sam.

Unfortunatly this is also where the movie goes downhill. For some weird reason the director has made the Darkdwellers entirely out of crappy CGI and after the first encouter, which is genuinly creepy, the bad CGI just ruins any scene with the Dark Dwellers.

The second half of the movie is more of a standard action movie as the DarkDwellers attack and Robert picks up a couple of survivors leading to a showdown.

Overall this is a movie that's not sure what it wants to be. After a superb 1st hour of suspense, beautifully haunting images of New York, character based storyline it blows a wad of bad cgi and action movie nonsense towards the end.

It was entertaining but it could have been a lot better.

6/10
Old 12-28-2007, 09:39 AM   #3066
Lazy Bee

Where Eagels Dare
My dad loves the TCM channel and this is one of his favourites.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #3067

National Treasure: Book of Secrets - if you liked the first one, you should like this. It's not as good, but still alright if you like seeing this sort of movie. There was also a Goofy animated short beforehand that was good.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #3068
Lovable rogue

Lucky You

Truly atrocious. I was bored and ordered it off Sky Box Office, after apparently misreading the synopsis through haste, or something. The plot was substandard, Eric Bana can't act, and I was bored almost from the start. I saw it through to the end, and nothing changed. I quite enjoy poker, but this film was abysmal.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 12-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #3069
tsa
Playing character

Maruca and I watched The Fountain yesterday on DVD. It was a bit too 'weird' for my taste (and too many hospital scenes), but the pictures were very beautiful. I have the feeling Trep would love it. I'd like to know what you think about it Trep.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:05 AM   #3070
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
National Treasure: Book of Secrets - if you liked the first one, you should like this. It's not as good, but still alright if you like seeing this sort of movie. There was also a Goofy animated short beforehand that was good.
I saw this too with my Dad. It was fun. I kept watching it and thinking some of the things they encountered would be cool in an adventure game (there was one thing that would have made a good multiplayer puzzle).

The Goofy short was funny! I wasn't expecting a cartoon before a movie.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #3071

Eric Bana was pretty good in Chopper... and the confrontation between Hector (Bana) and Achilles (Pitt) was like the only good thing about Troy...

Recently saw Pirates 3 again and like the second it was more enjoyable on repeated viewing. I still say the reasoning behind
Spoiler:
resurrecting Barbossa
was flimsy and hurt the credibility of the plot, which really got too epic for its own good anyway. Good ending though.

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 01-02-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #3072
Headbanger

Eastern Promises

It's really good! Cronenberg has done it again. I was a bit sceptic since I'm not a big fan of mafiafilms, but to my suprise it was exceptionally good. A must-see!
Old 01-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #3073
In an evening of July...

A Scanner Darkly

Disturbing drug drama in the near future, directed by Linklater (Waking Life, Dazed and Confused, both among my favorite movies). One thing I know: I'll be watching this movie again. Several times, probably - because I most likely didn't get every aspect and twist of the story, and also because the "drawn" style is just beautiful, like it was in Waking Life.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:10 AM   #3074
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I watched the Heartbreak Kid remake last night and despite all the negativity surrounding it I thought it was good. It's nowhere near as great as the best Farrelly Brothers movies like There's Something About Mary or Kingpin but it's still funnier than most comedies put out and it's ten thousand times better than their last movie Fever Pitch (and doesn't contain Jimmy Fallon which automatically makes it better). It's also incredibly raunchy, completely tasteless and horribly offensive which are always good things in my book.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 AM   #3075
capsized.

Uwe Boll's Minesweeper. Solid ten.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #3076
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
A Scanner Darkly
Just bought this one on DVD (it was on sale) but I fear the curse of Philip K Dick film adaptations. They've never felt quite right in the past Total Recall (We can remember it for you wholesale), Blade Runner (Do androids dream of electric sheep), Minority Report (The minority report), Screamers (Second variety), Impostor, Paycheck. Just to name the ones I can think of immediately. (Brackets are the original story title) Probably only Blade Runner really came close in capturing the feel of the original story.

Here's hoping though.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #3077
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Oh, man. A Scanner Darkly is brilliant. Possibly even the best of the Philip K Dick-based films.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #3078
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Oh, man. A Scanner Darkly is brilliant. Possibly even the best of the Philip K Dick-based films.
Another reason for me to watch it again, I guess. I must admit that I haven't read anything by Philip Dick, is he good?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #3079
Freeware Co-ordinator

Philip K Dick is full of wonderful ideas. It would be fair to say that he isn't always brilliant at executing them but the sheer inventive genius makes his stuff worth reading anyway.

I'd recommend searching out a collection of his short stories. There was a reprint recently so you shouldn't have trouble finding them in English. Not sure about German.

As well as A Scannder Darkly I purchased Aeon Flux and Labyrinth at the same time. I saw Labyrinth when it came out and remember enjoying it then so it will be interesting to see how it has aged. Aeon Flux I haven't seen. I'll report back on both when I've had the chance to watch them.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #3080
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I'd recommend searching out a collection of his short stories. There was a reprint recently so you shouldn't have trouble finding them in English.
Thanks, found it on amazon.

Also, just finished watching School of Rock. Well, I didn't presume it'd rock that much, but it did, and I liked it alot.