You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 09:44 AM   #61
Party On Dudes

i thought that the blak and white version (original) of the Little Shop of Horrors was pretty poor. the newer version with the guy from Honey I Shrunk The Kids was amazing tho, the music is really entertaining.

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 07-25-2005, 10:49 AM   #62
Doctor Watson

Films I recommend. Of course, these are mostly old, as movies are released months later in Finland.

Der Untergang
Sin City
The Merchant of Venice
Kung Fu Hustle
Kinsey
Old 07-25-2005, 10:55 AM   #63
fire breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
scary stuff that...
The amazing thing about that film imo is that they actually managed to portray Hitler accurately without romantisizing him. The whole thing was very objective. Even more impressive is that it's a german film.

Fascinating....
Old 07-25-2005, 02:36 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
Films I recommend. Of course, these are mostly old, as movies are released months later in Finland.

Der Untergang
Sin City
The Merchant of Venice
Kung Fu Hustle
Kinsey
I've been wondering about "Der Untergang", but in the end wasn't curious enough to repress my dislike for historical movies. Was is really that good?
And Sin City is one of the really good big budget american movies I've seen in the past few years.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #65

Well the film I have watched recently is not as action packed but I enjoyed it and have wanted to watch it for a long time!

Film being Racing Stripes

I thought this film was wicked and funny at parts! I love animals, especially horses and watching this film was fun! SCRUGates watched it with me but I don't think he found it as interesting as I did! Not a lot of people prefer these sort of films at my age but I still like them
Old 07-25-2005, 02:58 PM   #66
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I've been wondering about "Der Untergang", but in the end wasn't curious enough to repress my dislike for historical movies. Was is really that good?
In the 70s some Italians made a movie about the last days of Mussolini and his regime. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071880/). I think both movies are comparable in what they are trying to achieve. Great performance by Bruno Ganz, that's for sure. Der Untergang was worth my time and definitely interesting to watch. So if you're interested in that kind of thing...
Old 07-25-2005, 03:01 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
In the 70s some Italians made a movie about the last days of Mussolini and his regime. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071880/). I think both movies are comparable in what they are trying to achieve. Great performance by Bruno Ganz, that's for sure. Der Untergang was worth my time and definitely interesting to watch. So if you're interested in that kind of thing...
Dunno. I love documentaries about this period, but movies... not that much.
Also, I'm more interested in what Hitler was at the beginning, and about the "why", than in what he was in the end.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:17 PM   #68
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
I've been wondering about "Der Untergang", but in the end wasn't curious enough to repress my dislike for historical movies.
I guess most people do have preferences, but how can a film buff like you dislike such a massive, important genre?
Old 07-25-2005, 05:44 PM   #69

The last movie I watched was the ski film Yearbook by Matchstick Productions. If you're not familiar with ski films, all they're about is showing the best skiers doing their best stuff: skiing down steep mountains or doing tricks in the terrain park.

This one was one of the best ones I've seen, and it deserved the Movie of the Year award that it won. The music selection, editing, and athlete performances were top notch. I'm looking forward to their next release.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:06 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
I guess most people do have preferences, but how can a film buff like you dislike such a massive, important genre?
Oh, I don't mind movies with historical settings, it's non-fictonal historical movies that I dislike. If that makes sense .
Old 07-26-2005, 12:47 AM   #71
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Oh, I don't mind movies with historical settings, it's non-fictonal historical movies that I dislike. If that makes sense .
Yes, I suppose it makes sense.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:20 AM   #72
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

Saw War of the Worlds on Friday night - craptastic.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 07-26-2005, 05:27 AM   #73
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Saw War of the Worlds on Friday night - craptastic.
how dare you. Racing Stripes YAY!

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 08-02-2005, 10:39 PM   #74
merely human

I finally rented and watched Spider-Man 2 just now. WTF is my problem that I'm such a softie??? I was probably a fricking girl in a past life - eiw. I cried when....well, you know, at the end and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
...I just can't wait to hear your thoughts on Million Dollar Baby.
It is damn beautiful. Didn't Eastwood win an Oscar for Best Director? The movie felt so......natural, unforced, big in its smallness. An excellent character study of 2 people out to prove themselves and in the end intertwining spiritually and emotionally. It's startlingly incredible, the unexpected and agonizing forms self-redemption and self-affirmation can take. One magnificent transcending film.

Quote:
1. Do the Right Thing
2. Short Cuts
Saw them both, liked them both. I've always admired Altman. Have you seen Pret a Porter, his send up of the high fashion world? Altman showing his lighthearted side.

We've also seen Lost In Translation, which I adored! Again, another elegant, unforced naturalistic direction, this time by Francis Ford Coppola's brilliant daughter, Sofia. As lighthanded and nearly invisible as her directing is, she somehow managed to impregnate this movie with so many metaphors of physical, emotional, and spiritual displacement, feelings of life as a clinical passage, and unfamiliarity as a kind of focusing lens that puts into sharp relief things we don't usually notice - or choose not to notice - when we're 'at home'. I could watch this movie again and again.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 08-04-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:44 PM   #75
capsized.

Her debut, The Virgin Suicides starring Kirsten Dunst, James Woods, Katheline Turner, and an awesome Air soundtrack is also great. I love both movies. And Eugenide's (Virgin Suicides) novel, of course.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:43 AM   #76
fire breathing

In theatres:

The Island. Great fun if you know what you're getting. (an action-packed yet quite aesthetically tasteful film). Even better if you love Ewan McGreggor, like I do, because you get to see two of him on the screen at the same time. Otherwise, a truly amazing experience of cinemotography and color grading. Honestly the only film I can say that has looked as good as The Island is LOTR.

On DVD:

Queen Margot. Very graphically violent, yet a very satisfying movie to see if you can handle it. It takes place in 16th century France during the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre of the protestants by the catholics. European rennasiance royalty, court intrique, forbidden love, sex, poisoning, french history.....lot's of french being spoken really quickly...for me at least it doesn't get much better.

Artemisia Yar, this one be good. If you like Queen Margot, you should like this one too. (Not nearly as violent though, as a matter of fact I don't think there is much violence at all). It's about the famous French woman painter from rennaissance France.

Eyes Wide Shut I'm probably the last person on the planet to see this but I literally just finished watching it about an hour ago. Yar, t'is good.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:52 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Saw them both, liked them both. I've always admired Altman. Have you seen Pret a Porter, his send up of the high fashion world? Altman showing his lighthearted side.
Sweet.
Doesn't show the best side of Paris, though...
Old 08-03-2005, 01:34 AM   #78
merely human

Paris has a good side?

<runs>
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-03-2005, 01:50 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Paris has a good side?

<runs>
<runs after Trep, slips in dog poo, yells "MERDE">
...I guess not.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:59 AM   #80
merely human

That reminds me of a joke I played on one of my travel companions, and it backfired. On a trip there years ago when I was in art school several of us were walking in Paris during the evening, and Carole was complaining about the insane amount of dog merde on the pavements. I pretended to spot one as she was about to squish it and suddenly grabbed her and yelled, "DON'T STEP THERE!" She ended up screaming out loud in a startle right into my ear. The scream was heard for blocks, and my ear was buzzing for an hour after that.