You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
The movie I was talking about was Seven Swords though
Right, my bad
Old 03-11-2006, 04:32 PM   #962

Lollilove. Excellent and funny mockumentary about a rich married couple that come up with a 'charity' where they make and give lollipops with "uplifting" slogans ("you matter" or "no complaining, hombre" ) on the wrappers to homeless people Jenna Fischer (The Office) co-wrote it and stars as the disconnected wife, awesome stuff.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #963
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
[Syriana]

Exactly! Which is why I was surprised to see a lot of negative reviews - a newspaper with usually spot-on reviews said it was convoluted and badly paced, another called it pseudo-realistic and full of plot holes (what? ) etc. etc. I seriously doubt if they even got half of what was going on (which seems to be the major problem for nearly all IMDB user reviews for some reason) but when you do it's very rewarding. And "Dr. Bashir" was awesome
I will freely admit to being quite confused by its intricacies! Well done to you if you managed to follow the plot all the way through - I think I got it, but I can't be sure!

Despite that, I agree with Lucien. Syriana was fascinating and thought-provoking, and taut and compelling to boot. It was convoluted but necessarily so - just like the dealings it was outlining. Probably the most 'serious' film I've ever seen in the cinema (usually I won't take the chance), but it was definitely rewarding.

Just pay attention if you go to see it. Don't forget faces and expect to be spoon-fed like I did.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:17 AM   #964
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Lollilove. Excellent and funny mockumentary about a rich married couple that come up with a 'charity' where they make and give lollipops with "uplifting" slogans ("you matter" or "no complaining, hombre" ) on the wrappers to homeless people Jenna Fischer (The Office) co-wrote it and stars as the disconnected wife, awesome stuff.
Hrm... I can see myself getting the shivers out of the misdirected charity.
Watching characters doing incredible stupid things always give me the feeling of shame. Sometimes I can´t bare to watch the most embarrasing scenes at all. But since I´m pretty bored at the moment I´ll check my closest videorental out. The story sounds funny.

And btw, I think it´s a shame we don´t get the Oscar winning movies to my small hometown until now. It would have been nice to get the chance to see them before the Oscars.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:43 AM   #965
gin soaked boy

Last night I watched Cast a Dealdy Spell and Don't Look Now.

Cast a Deadly Spell is just as good as I remember it (I've seen it before), but Don't Look Now failed to live up to its reputation. It's not exactly a complete failure, but I could hardly say I was impressed. The atmosphere is far from what I expected and the whole thing didn't scare me for a second.

Well, Donald Sutherland's hairdo was a little scary.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
I will freely admit to being quite confused by its intricacies! Well done to you if you managed to follow the plot all the way through - I think I got it, but I can't be sure!
Well I did expect it to be complicated from what I'd read in reviews, so I managed to pay very close attention to every character and small detail from the start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Despite that, I agree with Lucien. Syriana was fascinating and thought-provoking, and taut and compelling to boot. It was convoluted but necessarily so - just like the dealings it was outlining. Probably the most 'serious' film I've ever seen in the cinema (usually I won't take the chance), but it was definitely rewarding.
Oh it definately was convoluted, on purpose The newspapers made it sound like it made a mess of the storylines, but I think they didn't get how it was sort of integral to the movie's style, since then I've also read some reviews stating something along those lines though. I think the confusing parts are intended to be confusing, in a sort of documentary style (and since the whole film was shot on DV, that makes sense). I knew the oil industry was complicated from what I'd seen in documentaries and read in articles, but you don't really get it until you see this movie, my hat goes off to Clooney for making this and Good Night and Good Luck his pet projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
Hrm... I can see myself getting the shivers out of the misdirected charity.
Watching characters doing incredible stupid things always give me the feeling of shame. Sometimes I can´t bare to watch the most embarrasing scenes at all. But since I´m pretty bored at the moment I´ll check my closest videorental out. The story sounds funny.
Oh it's definately worth it - I wouldn't say it makes you feel shameful (as it's scripted) but at times you'll get cramps just by laughing The way they actually think (/act like) they're making a difference in homeless people's lives is hilarious.
Quote:
And btw, I think it´s a shame we don´t get the Oscar winning movies to my small hometown until now. It would have been nice to get the chance to see them before the Oscars.
Not even Crash (2004)? Perhaps it just takes some time to dub/subtitle them? Do Swedish cinemas dub movies? Because that takes a whole lot more time than just subtitling. I seriously feel dubbing should be banned in all countries, it's *evil*
Old 03-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #967
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Not even Crash (2004)? Perhaps it just takes some time to dub/subtitle them? Do Swedish cinemas dub movies? Because that takes a whole lot more time than just subtitling. I seriously feel dubbing should be banned in all countries, it's *evil*
I don´t know about Crash, I was thinking about Brokeback Mountain which went up last Friday. I´ll have to find a friend to watch it with, there´s no way I´ll get my husband to join me. It´s just not "his kind of story" he, he.

Luckily we do not, and have never had dubbing in Sweden. That must be devastating for the experience of the movie. I also think of the great opportuity for all kids to hear English (which is the case for most of the films)pronunciation and English expressions. Can you imagine: Do you feel lucky... punk in German??
Old 03-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #968
Super Moderator

I don't like dubbing because being a native English speaker (and having only 4 years of high school German), I love hearing other languages and watching the subtitles to see if I can figure anything out.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #969
Lazy Bee

I just remembered a vacation a couple of years ago. We took the night ferry from a Danish island (Bornholm) to Rugen, Germany. It was a German shipping company so everything was in German. We were really tired and decided to watch TV in one of the lounges. It was Magnum with Tom Selleck. We had to leave though because we laughed so hard hearing macho Tom Selleck speaking German. It was so absurd.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #970
gin soaked boy

The first time I saw Aliens it was in Hungarian with no subtitles. And I don't even speak Hungarian.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #971
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
The first time I saw Aliens it was in Hungarian with no subtitles. And I don't even speak Hungarian.
LOL
How did you like it?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #972
gin soaked boy

It was... Well, an experience I'll remember much longer than watching it in English for the first time.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #973

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I saw Flightplan last night. The twist was great.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #974
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
It was Magnum with Tom Selleck. We had to leave though because we laughed so hard hearing macho Tom Selleck speaking German. It was so absurd.
I saw '24' dubbed into French last year. Jack Bauer isn't so tough in French!
Old 03-12-2006, 01:12 PM   #975

Quote:
Luckily we do not, and have never had dubbing in Sweden. That must be devastating for the experience of the movie. I also think of the great opportuity for all kids to hear English (which is the case for most of the films)pronunciation and English expressions. Can you imagine: Do you feel lucky... punk in German??
Fühle Sie glücklich, Dreckskerl? Yeah without dubbing kids can actually teach themselves English (that's how I taught myself before we ever got one class of English in schools ), and so many wonderful English expressions get horribly raped in translation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
I saw Flightplan last night. The twist was great.
Agreed
**** DON'T HIGHLIGHT THIS IF YOU PLAN ON SEEING THE MOVIE ****
Spoiler:
I actually thought Jodie Foster's character was simply going crazy throughout the first part of the movie, didn't see it coming at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
I saw '24' dubbed into French last year. Jack Bauer isn't so tough in French!
Yeah I saw an episode of the first season a couple of years ago in Paris, damn that sucked immensely "Merde!" just doesn't do Kiefer's "Damnit!" any justice

Last edited by jjacob; 03-12-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #976
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Brokeback Mountain

I felt the starting scene to be rather awkward - it felt more like it would be the logical end of the movie and the rest of the movie would be "And this is what happened to get us here...", but apparently, it actually starts that way. Hm. Weird. Or maybe it's just me, but I found the acting very awkward in that first scene.

At any rate, I sat there and dreaded the rest of the movie, thinking maybe it was being overhyped... but it smoothed out well and the pace was nice and slow, and very soon it had me drawn right in.

And of course I cried.

Very recommendable.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 03-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #977
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
And of course I cried.
That's wot I wanted to hear.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #978
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra

Thanks for reminding me to look for my old rusty VHS tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson
Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! Let's go, yeah, come on! Come on! Come and get it you bastards! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? **** you!
Haven't watched it in two years! That's as scary as it gets for me, really.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #979
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Haven't watched it in two years! That's as scary as it gets for me, really.
Spineless WUSS!!! Shameless CRAVEN!! PUSSY!!

Too bad I'm not there to force you to watch Silent Hill when it opens in the cinemas. Oooohoohoohoo!!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-13-2006, 05:48 AM   #980
Chris Barraclough

I say we grease this rat **** son of a bitch right now

I was really excited about Silent Hill when I first read about it on this forum but that was aaaaages ago and I've kind of lost interest a bit. Hopefully I'll get excited again before it comes out, and hopefully it won't suck.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk