You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 10:25 PM   #941
Super Moderator

Capote

Philip Seymour Hoffman is who actors should aspire to. I was so entranced by his performance as Capote. Amazing.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:07 AM   #942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
I know, what was up with that random scene where some guys find an ancient sword in some ruins then put it back in the box and you never see it again? Unless you left before that
Nah I saw that, if you're talking about the magical sword that reverses gravity or something My god how'd they get Jackie Chan for that movie - I know he's not too picky but that was just awful, Hong Kong cinema at its worst, didn't he read the script and go "WTF?" all the time?

Spun. Great movie, a lot less extravagant than Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas though not as outright hilarious. The acting was awesome though, Jason Schwartzmann (I Love Huckabees), Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke, Peter Stormare, John Leguizamo and Mena Suvari were all awesome. The anime bits in between were a nice twist as well.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #943
Psychonaut

Syriana

Wonderfully complex look at the oil industy from a variety of viewpoints. None of which paint the USA or the oil industry in a flattering light.

From the writer of Traffic. Full of big name stars like George Clooney, Matt Damon and Dr Bashir from Deep Space Nine.

A tale full of corruption, double crosses and assassinations.

Just what will governements and corporations do to control the dwindling supply of oil?

Fascinating stuff.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #944
Citizen of Bizarro World

I love how you included Dr. Bashir among "big name stars" but don't actually know his name. *coughcoughalexandersiddigcoughcough*
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #945
Psychonaut

Its Alexander Siddig i think but I was trying to be funny.

Opps didnt see it in the coughs
Old 03-04-2006, 10:26 AM   #946
Lovable rogue

I remember the early seasons of Deep Space Nine, when he was still Siddig El Fadil.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 03-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Syriana
[...]
Fascinating stuff.
Exactly! Which is why I was surprised to see a lot of negative reviews - a newspaper with usually spot-on reviews said it was convoluted and badly paced, another called it pseudo-realistic and full of plot holes (what? ) etc. etc. I seriously doubt if they even got half of what was going on (which seems to be the major problem for nearly all IMDB user reviews for some reason) but when you do it's very rewarding. And "Dr. Bashir" was awesome
Old 03-05-2006, 06:26 AM   #948
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Watership Down

Again. After ten years or so. Actually, probably more.

I wanted to see if it would still scar me for life if I went and watched it as an adult. It did. Freaky, freaky surreal bits, not sure why people let their kids watch this... I'm sure if someone had warned me back when I saw it the first time, I'd be a better, less twisted person now!...

Seriously, this is way too brutal, it needs a flashing warning sign.

Other than that, fantastic as always, though of course not without flaws - I've never read the book myself, but I suppose I'm going to have to now, lots of questions crop up whilst viewing the movie which, whilst a bit of imagination can fill in those gaps, really got me curious. Of course, having not read it means I don't know if the book answers these things, either but it's worth a shot.

And some of the animation is sloppy, with proportions going haywire. Eh, little tiny flaws all over the place, really, for just about everything; but the whole thing is pretty damn good.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 03-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #949
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

The book is great, and I found the relevant bits of it more disturbing than the film. I can't remember how much older I was by the time I discovered the film, though!

The Plague Dogs is another great book by the same author, and I see from a quick Googling that there's an animated movie of that, too - described by someone as "as close to an animated horror film as I've seen"!
Old 03-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
The book is great, and I found the relevant bits of it more disturbing than the film. I can't remember how much older I was by the time I discovered the film, though!

The Plague Dogs is another great book by the same author, and I see from a quick Googling that there's an animated movie of that, too - described by someone as "as close to an animated horror film as I've seen"!
The Plague Dogs (the movie) is probably the most mature animation film I've seen yet. Highly recommended for young and old alike, although it might be too much for kids younger than 7 y.o., since it deals with some pretty serious issues and contains blood.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #951
gin soaked boy

Near Dark

A great film up to that motel scene where Caleb meets with his family, than it becomes really, really bad. It's as they just threw the script into the air and said: "Aw, screw this, who's got the crack?"

Such a shame.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #952
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Nah I saw that, if you're talking about the magical sword that reverses gravity or something My god how'd they get Jackie Chan for that movie - I know he's not too picky but that was just awful, Hong Kong cinema at its worst, didn't he read the script and go "WTF?" all the time?

Spun. Great movie, a lot less extravagant than Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas though not as outright hilarious. The acting was awesome though, Jason Schwartzmann (I Love Huckabees), Brittany Murphy, Mickey Rourke, Peter Stormare, John Leguizamo and Mena Suvari were all awesome. The anime bits in between were a nice twist as well.
Oh you mean the magnetic sword? no im talking about this sword that never appeared in the movie again after that one pointless scene, they were building it up then the climax just bombed and he put it away....none of the main characters were even in the scene, it was completely random.

....and Jackie Chan was in that?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #953

Quote:
Oh you mean the magnetic sword? no im talking about this sword that never appeared in the movie again after that one pointless scene, they were building it up then the climax just bombed and he put it away....none of the main characters were even in the scene, it was completely random.

....and Jackie Chan was in that?
I'm having serious difficulty remember (my brain is probably erasing it due to its high bullcrap coefficient ) but I do remember Jackie Chan being in it. Could be we're talking about different movies - I'm talking about this weird cheesy Chan movie where he's an archeologist and he hears about this ancient myth so he starts investigating and gradually becomes the protagonist in the myth or something. And then there's this sword which is embedded with magic stones that enable the owner to defy gravity or something Somewhere around that point I just stopped watching
Old 03-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #954
Chris Barraclough

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Very funny, very dark, and I really rooted for Downey Jr. Recommend it to anyone who likes sick comedy.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 03-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #955

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Very funny, very dark, and I really rooted for Downey Jr. Recommend it to anyone who likes sick comedy.
One word: Awesome.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #956
woof

Quote:
I'm having serious difficulty remember (my brain is probably erasing it due to its high bullcrap coefficient ) but I do remember Jackie Chan being in it. Could be we're talking about different movies - I'm talking about this weird cheesy Chan movie where he's an archeologist and he hears about this ancient myth so he starts investigating and gradually becomes the protagonist in the myth or something. And then there's this sword which is embedded with magic stones that enable the owner to defy gravity or something Somewhere around that point I just stopped watching
urm...yeah were talking about different movies, this one is just in the cinemas justnow and its subtitled
Old 03-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #957

Quote:
urm...yeah were talking about different movies, this one is just in the cinemas justnow and its subtitled
Odd, can't seem to find a newer "The Myth" on IMDB, anyhow, avoid that Jackie Chan movie
Old 03-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #958
Staff Member

Twelve Monkeys

Fascinating; a time travel film with a downbeat tone and a mysterious plot. Features Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt, and Terry Gilliam directing.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #959

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

North Country

I saw it on my campus movie channel. It was a good movie. I would say Charlize Theron's performance was almost up there with Monster.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:10 PM   #960
woof

Quote:
Odd, can't seem to find a newer "The Myth" on IMDB, anyhow, avoid that Jackie Chan movie
The movie I was talking about was Seven Swords though