You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #921

The Family Stone. 5/10. Couldn't be saved by some decent performances (namely Claire Danes, Diane Keaton, Luke Wilson). Not particularly enjoyable in any way, drags on and on without working towards a climax. Tries to be clever and funny but fails. Sarah Jessica Parker was annoying.

Winter Passing
. 7/10. Interesting and charming yet very timid and cautious film. Excellent acting by Ed Harris and Zooey Deschanel, but Will Ferrell is miscast as a quirky loner handyman and former Christian Rock bassist. The film has some funny and touching moments, but in the end is way too long for its own good - had it been a short it would've probably been better, as the plot contains simply too little flesh for a feature length film.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #922
is not wierd

The debut of Terrence Malick. Haunting, yet I think I still like Thin Red Line or New World more simply because of how much Malick's style benefits from newer photography. I think I'll be seeing his second movie Days of Heaven sometime today or tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:19 AM   #923
Psychonaut

Capote

Biopic of Truman Capote, based around the writing of "In Cold Blood"

After a family is brutally murdered in their home he sets about interviewing everyone connected, including the killers to create the "non-Fiction novel" of the century.

To me Capote came across as being a manipulative, lying git when he's after a story. Watch how effortlessly he manipulates the sheriff and his wife while at dinner or how he worms his way into the cell with the killers.

It sent a shiver up my spine. He was so self absorbed that at times he is a complete arse to his boyfriend and to his best friend (Harper Lee who wrote To kill a mockinbird- although doing some research turned up that some people think Capote actually wrote it)

He would do anything to get the story. However the protracted length of the case starts to weight on Capote as he starts to lose it. More and more publically hoping for the Death penalty to be carried out so that he can finish his book. It is easy to see why he never finished another novel.

I thought it was a fascinating study of a writer and his subject, How they exploit the grief of others for personal gain and how as a journalist you shouldn't get so close to your story.

Phillip Seymor Hoffman has always been a great actor and for this his first leading role he should walk away with the Oscar he was brilliant as the Camp, manipulative but brilliant author.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:44 AM   #924

Totally agree with you on Capote - brilliant film, brilliant actor depicting a brilliant yet exploitative and manipulative author, in short. Hoffman really deserves an Oscar.

Dorian Blues. Excellent coming-of-age/coming-out comedy. The acting is not all good, but the main characters (Dorian Lagatos played by Michael McMillian and his brother played by Lea Coco) are solid comic actors. Though the movie does have some dull moments, it more than makes up for it in witty and funny dialogue. Highly recommended.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #925
is not wierd

Dorian Blues came to the film festival my city puts on last year. Just thought I'd mention that...
Old 02-28-2006, 09:08 AM   #926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
Dorian Blues came to the film festival my city puts on last year. Just thought I'd mention that...
Did you see it? If not you should, 2 hours well spent

Bandidas. Highly entertaining comedy/western flick. Very good chemistry between Penelope Cruz, Salma Hayek (ofcourse they're best friends in real life so that makes sense) and Steve Zahn (who is one lucky guy, go see it, you'll see what I mean). I actually thought this movie was a whole lot better than the Zorro remakes. The story is ofcourse nothing fancy (still, Luc Besson co-wrote the script) but everything else totally makes up for it. I was smiling throughout pretty much the entire movie. If you're in the mood for a funny, entertaining action flick, look no further.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #927

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Bandidas. Highly entertaining comedy/western flick.
This one`s directed by two norwegian guys. That`s something you don`t see everyday.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #928

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriD
This one`s directed by two norwegian guys. That`s something you don`t see everyday.
Yeah I noticed that, and from what I can tell it's their first (commercial) film! Nice work, these guys probably have a big future ahead of them in Hollywood
Old 02-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #929
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Just saw seven swords, it was bad.
They shouldnt have bothered with subtitles, it not exactly like the story makes sense or anything...
and the fight scenes were pretty bland
Old 02-28-2006, 11:45 AM   #930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Just saw seven swords, it was bad.
They shouldnt have bothered with subtitles, it not exactly like the story makes sense or anything...
and the fight scenes were pretty bland
I didn't even make it to the end it was so horrible. A lot of crappy pseudo mythological kung fu films coming out lately If you ever get confronted with the choice to rent or see Jackie Chan's "The Myth", DON'T
Old 03-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #931

Just watched Der Untergang for the third time, and I was reminded of just how great it is. Bruno Ganz does an exceptionally good job of portraiting Adolf Hitler. You get a more close and personal look at him that you don`t get anywhere else. You actually get to see him as a person, in both good and evil.
The fact that the movie is german does amplify my experience. It`s interesting to see a WWII-movie with a german point of view, instead of the typical american movies (I`m not bashing american war movies or anything ). It`s nice to see a case from another side from time to time.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #932
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
I didn't even make it to the end it was so horrible. A lot of crappy pseudo mythological kung fu films coming out lately If you ever get confronted with the choice to rent or see Jackie Chan's "The Myth", DON'T
I know, what was up with that random scene where some guys find an ancient sword in some ruins then put it back in the box and you never see it again? Unless you left before that
Old 03-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #933
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Although I've watched it like 10 times before;

Death Wish
Old 03-03-2006, 02:43 PM   #934
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Anybody into Eric Rohmer? I just got a couple of his films for my netflix (Summer and My Night at Maud's).

In planning my viewing strategy, I'm wondering whether Rohmer makes the sort of films you need to watch alone. Suggestions?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #935
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Pirates of the Caribbean
How silly. How great.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #936
Lovable rogue

mmmmn, Johnny Depp,

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 03-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #937
Super Moderator

Pirates of the Caribbean is such a fun flick - I like how it doesn't take itself too seriously so you can have fun watching it.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #938
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

I can't wait for the sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean. One of the most out-and-out enjoyable films I've ever seen!

Oh yeah, some quick reviews:

A Cock and Bull Story - rubbish.
Lucky Number Slevin - quite rubbish.
(On DVD!!) Team America World Police - less stupid than I was expecting, and in fact hilarious.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #939
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
A Cock and Bull Story - rubbish.
Really? I really do like Michael Winterbottom...
Old 03-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #940
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
Really? I really do like Michael Winterbottom...
I don't really recognise any of the other things on his filmography, apart from 24 Hour Party People (which I probably should see, just for the Manchester locations) and an episode of Cracker!

I wasn't keen on this film, anyway. It was billed as a comedy, and while it was amusing in places, there were long, long periods of deathly silence in the cinema. The story was intentionally a messy jumble (based, as it was, on the filming of a supposedly unfilmable novel...) which doesn't make for good viewing, unless I missed the deep inner meaning or something. I doubt it.

Sadly, the best thing about the film was the Alan Partridge in-jokes coming from Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon, which will completely go over your head if you're not into BBC comedy.