View Single Post
Old 03-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #966
jjacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
I will freely admit to being quite confused by its intricacies! Well done to you if you managed to follow the plot all the way through - I think I got it, but I can't be sure!
Well I did expect it to be complicated from what I'd read in reviews, so I managed to pay very close attention to every character and small detail from the start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Despite that, I agree with Lucien. Syriana was fascinating and thought-provoking, and taut and compelling to boot. It was convoluted but necessarily so - just like the dealings it was outlining. Probably the most 'serious' film I've ever seen in the cinema (usually I won't take the chance), but it was definitely rewarding.
Oh it definately was convoluted, on purpose The newspapers made it sound like it made a mess of the storylines, but I think they didn't get how it was sort of integral to the movie's style, since then I've also read some reviews stating something along those lines though. I think the confusing parts are intended to be confusing, in a sort of documentary style (and since the whole film was shot on DV, that makes sense). I knew the oil industry was complicated from what I'd seen in documentaries and read in articles, but you don't really get it until you see this movie, my hat goes off to Clooney for making this and Good Night and Good Luck his pet projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
Hrm... I can see myself getting the shivers out of the misdirected charity.
Watching characters doing incredible stupid things always give me the feeling of shame. Sometimes I can´t bare to watch the most embarrasing scenes at all. But since I´m pretty bored at the moment I´ll check my closest videorental out. The story sounds funny.
Oh it's definately worth it - I wouldn't say it makes you feel shameful (as it's scripted) but at times you'll get cramps just by laughing The way they actually think (/act like) they're making a difference in homeless people's lives is hilarious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
And btw, I think it´s a shame we don´t get the Oscar winning movies to my small hometown until now. It would have been nice to get the chance to see them before the Oscars.
Not even Crash (2004)? Perhaps it just takes some time to dub/subtitle them? Do Swedish cinemas dub movies? Because that takes a whole lot more time than just subtitling. I seriously feel dubbing should be banned in all countries, it's *evil*