You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 12:17 PM   #401
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Just a few minutes ago I finally saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding and I loved it!
The movie was filled with so much warmth.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:18 PM   #402
Super Moderator

Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie

No lung butter but it made me giggle (I did laugh hard at the end though)

Old 10-05-2005, 12:37 AM   #403
Epinionated.

Yeah, the end does hit you rather hard all of a sudden!

And thanks be for no lung butter. You know I was kidding, right?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:40 AM   #404
capsized.

Is that when David H. makes his appearance?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:51 AM   #405
Epinionated.

He makes the film.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:17 AM   #406
capsized.

I'm getting more curious every day.......
Old 10-05-2005, 06:24 AM   #407
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Yeah, the end does hit you rather hard all of a sudden!
Yes, it does!

Quote:
And thanks be for no lung butter. You know I was kidding, right?
Glad for the lack of lung butter (eww). You were joking? Here I thought you were calling this a comic masterpiece!!!

Last edited by Melanie68; 10-05-2005 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:13 AM   #408
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Just a few minutes ago I finally saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding and I loved it!
The movie was filled with so much warmth.
The father had some proper values.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #409
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Yes, it does!

Glad for the lack of lung butter (eww). You were joking? Here I thought you were calling this a comic masterpiece!!!
Heheh. No, I meant it was funny.. but the presence of lungbutter would probably suggest some kind of infection!

Oh, man... that scene was awesomeness...
Old 10-05-2005, 08:44 AM   #410
Super Moderator

Quote:
Heheh. No, I meant it was funny.. but the presence of lungbutter would probably suggest some kind of infection!

Oh, man... that scene was awesomeness...
Although lung butter is not an officially sanctioned pathologic term for a mucopurulent exudate.

Mel

And yes the whole Hasselhof bit was awesome!!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #411
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Last movie seen: Nochnoy Dozor (Wächter der Nacht / Night Watch)

I seem to recall it being noted the movie was confusing... and BoyToy agrees partly and has pointed out what he finds confusing to me... yet I don't feel it, and I was able to explain the bits he'd felt confused by to him. Note: I have never read the books. I found the movie self-explanatory and quite lovely - it didn't entirely break out of clichés, of course, but it played with them marvellously!

Quite a treat. I'm getting the DVD. <3

It's almost a pity, though, this is the first of a trilogy, since the end was so perfect for my tastes ^_~ I sure know who I side with.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 10-05-2005, 07:18 PM   #412
Club a seal or two

Rock & Rule. Downloaded it off the net, because I was dead sure that it's impossible to find in any legal means. It turns out the dvd came out a couple months ago. (with extras!) Looking forward to picking this one up, even though the plot and acting was crap.

For those of you unfamiliar with Rock & Rule, it's a canadian animated feature film from early 80's by Nelvada studios. It did very poorly at the box office so VHS copies were very scarce.

if the Spongebob movie and Rock & Rule taught me anything, it's that there is nothing rock music can't solve.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:16 PM   #413

I saw the Corpse Bride this weekend. I thought it was really well done. Good jokes, good music, and great artwork.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:13 AM   #414
Super Moderator

I just finished La Dolce Vita. It's only the second Fellini film I've seen (the other being La Strada). I don't really know how to describe why I can't take my eyes off these films of his that I've seen.

His sets don't seem busy - he seems to want you to focus on the actors - their expressions. This was almost a 3 hour movie and I was mesmerized. It seems lately I have been entranced by black and white movies and I really don't know why. I'm not making any sense about why this was such an awesome movie. I'll definitely want to see it again. The dialogue was spectacular. Even though his characters are not the nicest of people in La Dolce Vita, I was drawn into their story. The beautiful but empty Maddalena, the sultry Sylvia and the tragic Emma. And obviously Marcello. It seemed in the midst of his seductions, he would appear lost and unsure of why he was actually seducing these women. When Marcello was begging his father not to go, that was such a sad scene. And Steiner -

It seems interesting to me that La Strada and La Dolce Vita both:

Spoiler:
ended on a beach.

Is there any kind of significance to this?

All I'll say is WOW because I don't know enough to say any more.

(sorry for the big picture)
Old 10-06-2005, 04:31 AM   #415
Psychonaut

While I was in Florida I decided to see some films before they are released over here so.....

Corpse Bride: Big fan of Tim Burton and I loved this film, but had a nagging doubt that all the songs were too similar to Nightmare Before Christmas. However it is still a mightily decent film.

Serenity: Well i'm a big fan of the series anyway, but THIS FILM ROCKED. It was in turns funny, exciting and most unusually of all emotionally shocking. For a sci-fi film there was no holds barred and some things you would never see coming like ***MAJOR SPOILER****
Spoiler:
the death of some of the main characters
Roll on the sequel because this was the best sci-fi film of the year so far.

Into the Blue: Jessica Alba in a bikini 'nuff said. Basically a remake of "The Deep" with Jacqualine Bisset, but bloody good fun.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #416
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I just finished La Dolce Vita. It's only the second Fellini film I've seen (the other being La Strada). I don't really know how to describe why I can't take my eyes off these films of his that I've seen.

His sets don't seem busy - he seems to want you to focus on the actors - their expressions. This was almost a 3 hour movie and I was mesmerized. It seems lately I have been entranced by black and white movies and I really don't know why. I'm not making any sense about why this was such an awesome movie. I'll definitely want to see it again. The dialogue was spectacular. Even though his characters are not the nicest of people in La Dolce Vita, I was drawn into their story. The beautiful but empty Maddalena, the sultry Sylvia and the tragic Emma. And obviously Marcello. It seemed in the midst of his seductions, he would appear lost and unsure of why he was actually seducing these women. When Marcello was begging his father not to go, that was such a sad scene. And Steiner -

It seems interesting to me that La Strada and La Dolce Vita both:

Spoiler:
ended on a beach.

Is there any kind of significance to this?

All I'll say is WOW because I don't know enough to say any more.
Melanie, if I remember correctly...

Spoiler:
La Strada begins and ends on a beach.

Glad to hear that you appreciate these movies because, unfortunately, I know a lot of people that don't "get" Fellini. He certainly had his obsessions and he wasn't afraid to let the audience know about them. The significance of the beach? Perhaps it's different for everyone, or perhaps you should see more of his films and try to figure out what beaches mean to him. A beach plays an important part in the childhood of a Fellini-esque director in his movie "8 1/2". Anyway, you'll see beaches in a Fellini film about as often as you'll see processions, clowns, and large prostitutes. That's just Fellini. That's part of what makes his work honest and personal. Let's not forget the religious symbolism either (it's not exactly subtle when a statue of Christ is being flown by helicopter over Rome).

As for the entrancing effect black and white movies have had on you lately, I can only say for sure that I know the feeling. Heh. Black and white photography can do things with light, shadow, etc. that color can't. A friend of mine (actually he was, at one time, going to be an actor in one of my short films) claimed that he read about a study once where the researchers came to the conclusion that black and white is, in fact, more entrancing to the eye than color is. I have never been able to find this study myself, so I only have his word to go on. It seems to make sense though. Also I've seen it said that in a world stripped of color, you are less likely to think about color ("Oh what a beautiful dress, and...oh my what gorgeous drapes!") and focus on the person, the characters, instead.

Anyway, glad you like Fellini. You should see 8 1/2, Nights of Cabiria, Amarcord, etc.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:41 AM   #417
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Melanie, if I remember correctly...

Spoiler:
La Strada begins and ends on a beach.
Now that you mention it - now I remember.

Quote:
Glad to hear that you appreciate these movies because, unfortunately, I know a lot of people that don't "get" Fellini. He certainly had his obsessions and he wasn't afraid to let the audience know about them. The significance of the beach? Perhaps it's different for everyone, or perhaps you should see more of his films and try to figure out what beaches mean to him. A beach plays an important part in the childhood of a Fellini-esque director in his movie "8 1/2". Anyway, you'll see beaches in a Fellini film about as often as you'll see processions, clowns, and large prostitutes. That's just Fellini. That's part of what makes his work honest and personal. Let's not forget the religious symbolism either (it's not exactly subtle when a statue of Christ is being flown by helicopter over Rome).

As for the entrancing effect black and white movies have had on you lately, I can only say for sure that I know the feeling. Heh. Black and white photography can do things with light, shadow, etc. that color can't. A friend of mine (actually he was, at one time, going to be an actor in one of my short films) claimed that he read about a study once where the researchers came to the conclusion that black and white is, in fact, more entrancing to the eye than color is. I have never been able to find this study myself, so I only have his word to go on. It seems to make sense though. Also I've seen it said that in a world stripped of color, you are less likely to think about color ("Oh what a beautiful dress, and...oh my what gorgeous drapes!") and focus on the person, the characters, instead.

Anyway, glad you like Fellini. You should see 8 1/2, Nights of Cabiria, Amarcord, etc.
I will definitely watch more. I read a little about Fellini. La Strada was made during his more 'realist' period and La Dolce Vita was the transition to his more 'fantastical?' period. So I haven't seen anything from that period obviously.

I had a sneaking suspicion you'd be the one to answer my questions.

Thanks

Edit: If someone didn't answer, I was going to be a pest and PM you for an answer.

Last edited by Melanie68; 10-06-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:43 PM   #418
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

The Brothers Grimm

A thouroughly entertaining movie, if a bit chaotic in plot - but a nice fictional "biography", and I can only recommend the movie, along with much popcorn and sweets.

Being the sappy indulgant person, I wept.

Anyway, a bit more thouroughly: The movie's upsides definitely include it's visuals, which were wonderfully convincing, and the effect that the fantasy of it is not that important, but the people and characters are. The downsides are that many characters are rather flat, though since the entire movie is rather humourous (and intended as such), it's not that grotesquely horrible as it would be in more serious movies, but actually adds to it in places.

The biggest upside is the chaotic storyline, actually, and I will spoilerise this because I'm not sure if it's maybe better left untold:
Spoiler:
It is chaotic because you will recognise many, many things from the Grimm (and other!) fairy tales, but they never are in the same context you know them from, and instead all work together to form one 'fairy tale'. It's one of those things best seen a second time, I think (I've only seen it once now, so I can't say for sure!). At any rate, point being, I find it deserving of applause that someone would string up all these elements to a plot which actually makes sense (as much as fantasy can make sense, of course).
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 10-09-2005, 12:37 AM   #419
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
While I was in Florida I decided to see some films before they are released over here so.....

Corpse Bride: Big fan of Tim Burton and I loved this film, but had a nagging doubt that all the songs were too similar to Nightmare Before Christmas. However it is still a mightily decent film.

Serenity: Well i'm a big fan of the series anyway, but THIS FILM ROCKED. It was in turns funny, exciting and most unusually of all emotionally shocking. For a sci-fi film there was no holds barred and some things you would never see coming like ***MAJOR SPOILER****
Spoiler:
the death of some of the main characters
Roll on the sequel because this was the best sci-fi film of the year so far.

Into the Blue: Jessica Alba in a bikini 'nuff said. Basically a remake of "The Deep" with Jacqualine Bisset, but bloody good fun.
Yeah, Into The Blue looks like a good Paul Walker movie - as in brainless fun. Plus the presence of JA wearing very little is always enough to get interest... plus it looks utterly gorgeous for a Hollywood junkfest.

DAMN I need to see Serenity.

Yesterday I finished watching -

Grave Of The Fireflies
All I can say is watch this movie now, but make sure hankies are at the ready from the beginning.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:40 AM   #420
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Yesterday I finished watching -

Grave Of The Fireflies
All I can say is watch this movie now, but make sure hankies are at the ready from the beginning.
Damn straight.