You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #201
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

I finally watched Brazil... oh my god, this movie is a masterpiece. Being a Terry Gilliam fan, I had to slap myself after the credits for not watching it sooner.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #202
Epinionated.

Ring 2, which was better than Ringu 2 but not as good as The Ring or Ringu. Scary little girls have lost their sheen a bit, but that said did pull some corking moments out of the bag and had some great cinematography. I've read a lot of complaints that the concept behind Sadako leaping to save herself was a bit much to grasp, but she's a wierd demon-thing so it never bothered me and he conclusion and what was required seemed straightforward enough. Sadako's final appearence was tops, although essentially it all felt like a bit of a rerun.

Can't seem to find any worthwhile horrors lately... although I hear The Descent (not the godawful The Cave), Hostel and Wolf Creek are pretty damn good. Still haven't seen Cabin Fever either, but heard so many bad things about it I can't be bothered.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:01 PM   #203
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

He hey! I just watched Star Trek The Motion Picture and Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.

It's Trekkie time!
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #204
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
He hey! I just watched Star Trek The Motion Picture and Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.

It's Trekkie time!
I hope you have time to watch Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country. That was a good one as well (better than some of the movies in between II and VI)

Live long and prosper!
Old 09-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #205
Epinionated.

I watched Jaws for the second time in a row. I'm crazy for that film.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:32 PM   #206
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I hope you have time to watch Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country. That was a good one as well (better than some of the movies in between II and VI)

Live long and prosper!

Just as long as you skip no 5
Old 09-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #207
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Just as long as you skip no 5
Nah, The Voyage Home is the worst for being completely and utterly naff and trying way too hard to be amusing.

But don't miss The Undiscovered Country. Quite possibly the greatest of the Star Trek movies .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-05-2005, 03:34 PM   #208
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Nah, The Voyage Home is the worst for being completely and utterly naff and trying way too hard to be amusing.

Quote:
But don't miss The Undiscovered Country. Quite possibly the greatest of the Star Trek movies .
Cool movie!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #209
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omloflump
I thought the opposite. The substance behind the movie isn't all that impressive; it's the style that makes it any good, as is the case in the comic books.
Yup. Exactly.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #210
merely human

Just finally saw Like Water For Chocolate tonight. Sweet. And Spicy.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-05-2005, 09:48 PM   #211

I havent read this entire thread but I loved Batman Begins.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:38 PM   #212
Super Moderator

I was watching Turner Classic Movies tonight (love that channel) and they showed Le Corbeau. I had never heard of it but I am a sucker for foreign movies and it was fantastic!! It involves a French village in which numerous poison pen letters penned by Le corbeau (the raven) arise suspicions of a new doctor in town. The emotions it highlights (suspicion, mob mentality, fear) make the film really hold up 62 years later!

Old 09-06-2005, 05:22 AM   #213
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Hey hey, I have seen all the Trek movies countless times before except the latest 10th movie, which I haven't yet seen at all.
But I agree that IV and V are the worst movies of the original crew era. TNG era's worst is definitely Insurrection, the ninth movie. My favourites are the second and the sixth from the original crew era and then First Contact from the TNG era.

All the movies special editions from 1 to 8 are currently on sale at a local store, I immediately bought the first two movies, but I'm going to buy all of them as soon as I can.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:05 AM   #214

I saw Appleseed the other day, and found it extremely impressive and rather fun, even though the story isn't that profound and it's a bit too fighting-centered.

And sunday I went to see The Jacket, which I loved. Griping, strong, sometimes funny, and sometimes sad, but never too complacent.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:25 AM   #215
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Just saw “The Coca-Cola Kid”, directed by Dusan Makavejev. I’m hoping this is the last movie we watch from this director just because my fiance took a class from him.

The movie is about a corporate exec sent to Australia to boost Coke sales. Dusan is still playing with his themes about the evils of western corporate imperialism, and there are some humorous touches, but Dusan’s great sensual eye and Greta Scacchi’s playful sexiness are just completely lost because Eric Robert is such a dud as the main character. He can play the corporate a**hole part, but can’t handle his character’s development at all.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:52 AM   #216
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Two:
The-movie-with-Drew-Barrymore-and-Jimmy-Fallon-about-a-psychotic-Red-Sox-fan-finding-love (sorry, I can't remember the name)- Although it had the expected excellent soundtrack, it wasn't at all up to the usual Farrelly brother's standard. I would have been better off watching "Kingpin" or "Shallow Hal" again.
"Madagascar"- Not great, but not bad. An off-beat storyline and peculiar animation that was at once photorealistic and cartoonish made it visually interesting, but the high point of the movie was an animated chimp communicating in actual, legible, American Sign Language such as deaf people use. This must have been absolute Hell to animate, and I doubt few people besides myself even noticed this detail.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-06-2005, 06:55 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Two:
The-movie-with-Drew-Barrymore-and-Jimmy-Fallon-about-a-psychotic-Red-Sox-fan-finding-love (sorry, I can't remember the name)- Although it had the expected excellent soundtrack, it wasn't at all up to the usual Farrelly brother's standard.
I found it cute... but then again, I watched in on the plane.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:04 AM   #218
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I found it cute... but then again, I watched in on the plane.
Me too!
I've just come to expect a certain level of grossness from the Farrelly brothers ("Kingpin", "There's Something About Mary", "Shallow Hal") and a willingness to focus on character's less-attractive attributes, and other than Drew's Dad's horrifying foray into cheap hair color, this movie let me down.
Watching it did beat looking at the top side of clouds for an hour and a half, though.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-06-2005, 07:58 AM   #219
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Me too!
I've just come to expect a certain level of grossness from the Farrelly brothers ("Kingpin", "There's Something About Mary", "Shallow Hal") and a willingness to focus on character's less-attractive attributes, and other than Drew's Dad's horrifying foray into cheap hair color, this movie let me down.
Watching it did beat looking at the top side of clouds for an hour and a half, though.

ScottMate
It's called Fever Pitch, I think. My fiance and I were this close to being extras at the game scenes. But, it had been a long game and we were too tired to stick it out. We still haven't seen it, but I'm sure it'll pop up at some family gathering or other, seeing as how my fiance's family are all huge red socks fans.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:45 AM   #220

Quote:
Me too!

ScottMate
In fact, had I known it was a Farrelly movie, I would have expected sometihng else entierly, but I though it was just another romantic comedy (which it is), and as such wasn't disappointed.

EDIT: Of course, now that I think about it, the cuteness of Drew Barrymore probably increased the "cuteness" factor of the entire movie.