You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 11:44 AM   #181
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Which joke did you find funny?
"Somebody go back and get a shit-load of quarters!"

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:52 AM   #182
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
"Somebody go back and get a shit-load of quarters!"
Ha Ha - I'd forgotten that one. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:34 PM   #183
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

I was staying in a Lincoln Park hotel in Chicago for the past week while my parents did orientation stuff with my sister who is a first year at DePaul. At any rate, there was a nice theater around the corner showing indie films and I saw a couple of them.

"Last Days" and "Grizzly Man".

I found Gus Van Sant's "Last Days" extremely poetic. I love it that Van Sant has felt like he can break out of Hollywood convention for his trilogy beginning with "Elephant" and "Gerry," which seems to meditate on needless death. I love the moments of silence in "Last Days," which draw the audience further into the film if the audience is ready for it. It's amazing that the same director did "Good Will Hunting," another good film IMO, but a crowd-pleaser rather than an auteristic statement. In both "Last Days" and "Grizzly Man," the audience knows the ending of the story, and so the point is not so much a narrative A to B, but a poetic presentation of the question, "Why did this happen?" Even though I had read reviews of both "Last Days" and "Grizzly Man" previous to the films, which sometimes turns me off to seeing the films, especially in a theater, I was entranced by the craftsmanship of Van Sant and Werner Herzog, who directed "Grizzly Man". For those who don't know, "Last Days" is an account of a Kurt-Cobain-esque character's last hours before death. "Grizzly Man" is a documentary comprising footage shot by Timothy Treadwell, a self-proclaimed protector of the Alaskan grizzly bear, who was ironically killed in his thirteenth summer of work by a grizzly bear he was not familiar with. The thing I found most interesting about "Grizzly Man" was the intersection between Herzog's negative, brutal view of nature and Treadwell's idealistic, perhaps naive love of the animals. Herzog's love for the egomaniac leads him to present Treadwell in that light, and Herzog, quite the egomaniac himself, is very PRESENT in the documentary as he narrates in an acknowledged subjective manner, offering his judgment on Treadwell. I haven't seen any of Herzog's other documentaries, but I wonder how visible he makes himself. It seems to me to run against the grain of most documentaries, whose directors hide under the guise of objectivity.

The best film I've seen this summer is "Broken Flowers" by Jim Jarmusch. I loved his "Stranger Than Paradise," a quirky black-and-white masterpiece made back in 1984 which considers the lives of a few young, Hungarian immigrants. Jim Jarmusch creates his own cinematic space. You know you're watching a Jarmusch movie when one is on. Despite the heavy starpower of "Broken Flowers," IE Bill Murray, Jeffrey Wright, Sharon Stone, Tilda Swinton, etc., Jarmusch is in full control of the reins. With his episodic take on the life of a washed-up Don Juan, worldly hipster soundtrack to boot, the viewer is brought into the melancholy, dead-pan world of Jarmusch. And it is a beautiful place. The scene with the pearls has an emotional weight I cannot really express.

I finally caved in a bought "The Last Picture Show," after waiting to see if I could find it somewhere, anywhere, for less than 15 dollars. See that film too if you haven't. It's a classic take on small-town adolescence.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:08 AM   #184
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

"The Last Picture Show" was terrific.

Just saw Time Bandits this weekend for the first time -- I loved it. I compared it to The Life Aquatic (which I'd also recently just viewed)... even though they are about vastly different subjects, because the whimsy in Time Bandits didn't seem forced. And there was actually a story that made sense and characters that were sympathetic. And...it wasn't boring.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:54 PM   #185
merely human

Just watched Being John Malkovich this evening. big R commented that the title should have been Using John Malkovich.

I described it as a f#&king mind trip, myself. There's a mind-dropping metaphysical threeway I found squirmingly charming, and the sequence where Malkovich himself goes into his own mind is particularly effective. The puppet sequences were beautiful.

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-30-2005, 10:01 PM   #186
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Just watched Being John Malkovich this evening. big R commented that the title should have been Using John Malkovich.

I described it as a f#&king mind trip, myself. There's a mind-dropping metaphysical threeway I found squirmingly charming, and the sequence where Malkovich himself goes into his own mind is particularly effective. The puppet sequences were beautiful.

You probably already know this Trep, but the writer of Being John Malkovich (Charlie Kaufman) also wrote Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Both of which are similar in their "f#&king mind trip" ways...
Old 08-30-2005, 10:08 PM   #187
merely human

Of course.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-30-2005, 11:45 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
You probably already know this Trep, but the writer of Being John Malkovich (Charlie Kaufman) also wrote Adaptation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Both of which are similar in their "f#&king mind trip" ways...
It's funny, because of the three, only Eternal... has an ending that didn't piss me off and ruined the movie for me.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:41 AM   #189
Doctor Watson

Wasn't Charlie Kaufman the writer who didn't exist?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:10 AM   #190
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
Wasn't Charlie Kaufman the writer who didn't exist?
No, that would be his brother Donald.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:55 PM   #191

I recently saw City of God. It's a Brazilian film, based on a true story, about a group of kids growing up in one of Brazil's favelas (slums). Amazing film... highly recommended, especially if you like Pulp Fiction. It's very violent so stay clear if you have a weak stomach.

(I see that Gilly already posted it, but it's such a good movie I have to mention it again )
Old 08-31-2005, 01:11 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Warning, though, I can only say: Strategic product placement Very obvious. But t'was at least not obscenely out of place when it did happen. I couldn't help but grin in parts, though.
Not obscenely out of place?! No, unlike Minority Report (which was a lot cleverer with its product placement), all of the product placement in The Island was completely out of place. Thankfully I now know which products to avoid buying... To top it all off, what was with making us watch the entirety of Scarlett Johansson's Calvin Klein advert?! I paid money to go and watch over two hours of adverts. I can't even remember the rest of the film, the product placement was so bad...
Old 08-31-2005, 01:49 PM   #193
DAVE

And having half the movie being turned into a camera pan is ridiculous.

Yeah, another shot of Djimon Honsou whilst the camera rotates around him and he spouts some cliché frase to a radio, wonderful.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:05 AM   #194
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimus
Not obscenely out of place?!
Nope. Can't remember claiming it was sublte, though, which seems to be your entire issue rather than the placing.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-01-2005, 07:10 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Nope. Can't remember claiming it was sublte, though, which seems to be your entire issue rather than the placing.
Yeah, it was mainly the fact that it all stood out a lot. I don't really have a problem with product placement, as long it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the film, which I felt it did in The Island...
Old 09-02-2005, 01:09 PM   #196
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

There was only one which I felt to be, well, amusing (and that emotion was out of the place, though not the actual product placement), so I can relate ever so slightly - but honestly, not that much. Sorry to hear it ruined your movie experience for you, though. That's a pity, regardless of my opinions in the matter.

Coincidentially I've seen Sin City by now and was pleasantly surprised. I found the beginning to be rather irritating and almost walked out - boy, am I glad I stayed in, it really got good towards the end! Though I really have to say I don't get why everyone's so hyper about the visual effects of this movie - I found it lives off it's story and nothing else. But ah well
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #197
just visiting

A Love Song For Bobby Long, with Scarlett Johansson & John Travolta, featuring lush pre-Katrina New Orleans scenery. The music was also enjoyable.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:07 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Just sas The Aristocrats last night. It was pretty damn funny, though not as funny as I expected - there was a good 20 minutes in the middle that was a lot slower than the beginning and end's non-stop stream of rapidfire comedy. Some amazingly ridiculous/outrageous well-told jokes in here though. Definitely 100% worth seeing if it's playing in your area
I thought the movie was okay, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend paying to see it. If you know someone who's going to buy the DVD, you might want to borrow it from them instead. There were only several parts that were really funny; the rest was ho-hum.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:32 PM   #199
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

I just watched Strange Brew.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:35 AM   #200
The Impostor

Quote:
Though I really have to say I don't get why everyone's so hyper about the visual effects of this movie - I found it lives off it's story and nothing else. But ah well
I thought the opposite. The substance behind the movie isn't all that impressive; it's the style that makes it any good, as is the case in the comic books. Because really, the three main characters in the film are pretty much identical to each other, personality wise, and the stories are routine, albeit extreme, vigilante-noir fair.