You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 05:54 AM   #361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Yesterday I saw "Howl's Moving Castle" in the cinema.

I'd love to express how astonishing and great it was, but I am absolutely speechless.

Go see it, if you haven't done so yet!

-
Yep. It's probably my favorite Miyazaki. The strange, powerful, seductive, and moody hero is one of his most delightful human characters yet, and the little fire guy is very cool.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:15 AM   #362
Just charging up

Quote:
"Howl's Moving Castle" is an anime loosely based on the fantasy novel of the same name by the British author Diana Wynne Jones.

"Castle in the Sky" is related to it only by the fact that they were both directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

-
Thanks for the info!
Since I absolutely adored
"Castle in the Sky",
"Spirited Away"
and
"Princess Monononononononoko" (may have added a 'no' too much there... )
I guess I should see this one as well huh?

Now to find a theatre in my area that will show it....
Old 09-20-2005, 07:19 AM   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Veil
Thanks for the info!
Since I absolutely adored
"Castle in the Sky",
"Spirited Away"
and
"Princess Monononononononoko" (may have added a 'no' too much there... )
I guess I should see this one as well huh?

Now to find a theatre in my area that will show it....
"should" is an understatement in this case.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:22 AM   #364
Just charging up

BTW, do most Movie theatres show an English dubbed version or the original Japanese one?
For I prefer too watch a movie in its original language...
Old 09-20-2005, 07:50 AM   #365
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

So many Miyazaki films to see! I've only seen Princess Mononoki.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:42 AM   #366
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Veil
BTW, do most Movie theatres show an English dubbed version or the original Japanese one?
For I prefer too watch a movie in its original language...

I'm sorry, I can't tell you. It was the german version, and the germans are reknown for their practice of dubbing nearly everything (as a result of that, 98.9% of all german dubs are extremely well done, and the rest are quickly forgotten about.).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #367
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm sorry, I can't tell you. It was the german version, and the germans are reknown for their practice of dubbing nearly everything (as a result of that, 98.9% of all german dubs are extremely well done, and the rest are quickly forgotten about.).

-
I went to Germany in 1984 (I was 16) with my German teacher and some of the other people in the class. The movie on the flight over was Beverly Hills Cop. A few of us ended up going to the theatre in Germany and watching Beverly Hills Cop dubbed in German. I sort of knew the movie but listening to German in class and listening to it spoken in real life are two different things. All in all, it was a cool experience.

re: Monty Python - I SO want this T-shirt!!

http://www.awit.com/cgi-bin/image2.p...MrGumbybig.jpg
Old 09-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #368
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia
So many Miyazaki films to see! I've only seen Princess Mononoki.
Natalia, almost all of them are great. My personal fave = Spirited Away.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:00 AM   #369
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Just added to my Netflix queue! (...which has been stuck in the doldrums for a while -- i gotta get cracking on the movie watching this weekend).
Old 09-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Spirited Away is probably the more interesting one. but Howl's moving castle has Howl.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:30 PM   #371
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Schindler's List

Only moment I cried was when
Spoiler:
Schindler went over the top and broke down about not having sold his car, and his pin, and so on.
Since I know it from my own life, I get touchy when people load too much retro-spective responsibility onto themselves when they've obviously achieved great things, and it wrecks them. That sort of thing moves me.

Most of the movie prior to this I found to be an excellent setting for many, many cynical jokes. Were it not for the ending, I would call the movie a loose black comedy. Pitch black, mind.

Am a bit surprised Ralph Fiennes didn't win the Oscar for best supporting role - very intense.

Didn't get the "point" of
Spoiler:
the red dress
at all. Or rather, rationally, yes, but emotionally it did nothing to me.

I suppose most of this is because the whole tragedy of the holocaust has been regurtiated in my history lessons ad nauseum, leaving the movie stripped blank of horrors, plunging the whole thing into a "It's a movie, watch it like one," situation, and then one must snicker along with Ralph occasionally. But I think that goes to show how brilliant this movie is. Even if the main 'point' (if you'd like to view it as such), the holocaust, falls away, it is still great viewing. Lovely.

Anyway, before someone labels me Nazi, I should probably say I'm also an avid roleplayer. I enjoy slipping into the role of sociopaths - in fiction. The movie, to me, based on reality or not, was not filmed documentary enough to slide into "non-fiction" emotionally. So to me, it was a "fiction" to indulge in, and let my RP get inspired. Let's face it - the sadism is unique. Very distilled. It felt like a world one of my characters would feel at home in. Mindless, sadistic, and parasitic off the pain of others.

So, yeah. What I was going to say is that I don't endorse it. But equally I don't endorse it if people use events like the holocaust to shield themselves from what is perfectly normal dislike. I just tend to hear ridiculous stories about sincere dislike of someone who is simply an arsehole - and then it turns out they're a jew, and oh, you're suddenly anti-Semitic. But I'd probably rather be shot that support the baseless murder of people simply because they were unfortunate enough to be born into the "wrong" family, adopt the "wrong" religion, be the "wrong" nationality... well, generalisations in general. (...did I just jinx myself?)

And blah, blah, blah. I do go on forever, don't I? Forgive me - it is a paranoia inherit to my nationality.

Anyway, it was an awesome movie which I heartily recommend. </crowd>
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 09-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #372

My Grandfather was arrested in Germany and sent to a camp for 3 years for being a Jehovahs Wittness. He was in the purple triangle camp. My Grandfathers three friends that were arrested at the same time as him were all tortured, malnurished and one was murdered. They kept my Grandfather in tip top shape because he was used as a voice for the purple triangles.

My Grandfather told me stories of them putting a gun to his head telling him to renounce his faith or be excuted. He stood firm unlike many others and he was given extra food for having strong moral values. That was one of the reasons he was used as a voice for the prisoners. Many of those who renounced their faith were killed in the time he was their.

The Jehovahs Wittnesses eventualy used his story in one of their magazines and yearbooks.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:16 PM   #373
capsized.

I like Schindler's List, but I like La Vita è Bella even more. That movie could've gone horribly wrong, but Benigni made it. Just when you thought Holocaust and humor wouldn't mix very well. Touching. I'm kinda interested in that kind of stuff anyway.. Still haven't seen The Pianist, though! Although I've read the book some years ago. Oh, and I watched Mad Max on TV yesterday.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:43 PM   #374

Saw Femme Fatale last night. Wow, de Palma at his most unforgiving, haute, auteur, over-the-top, f**k-you-I'm-making-this-the-way-I-want best. It's a damn potent and unapologetically stylized showmanship, what a highly skilled and confident director can do. He may love ripping off Hitchcock, but he also has the balls - and today's freedom - to show sexuality, eroticism, and violence in a high fashion, in-your-face glamour confrontation that makes spineless dilettantes faint - what Hitchcock wasn't able to do otherwise.

It's a highly polished exploration of the idea of voyeurism, looking, and the pleasure of being watched, a culmination of almost all his past films (like Dressed To Kill, Blowout, and Sisters). The dialogue-free slo-mo sequences are pure art, and the opening scene - a big jewel heist at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival - was breathtaking. The choreography and general direction are among the most precise and finest, right up there with the opening shot of Orson Welles' A Taste Of Evil, Hitchcock's Vertigo, and Jean Luc Godard's Breathless.

Imagine if the late Helmut Newton decided to make a suspense picture set in the high style world. This would be it.

That lesbian scene with Rebecca Romijn Stamos and Rie Rasmussen in the ladies room just about made me regret my not being able to love women, it was incredible to watch. Not since Uma Thurman's lovemaking scene with Maria de Medeiros in Henry & June have I felt this stirred.

This movie needs to be watched more than once, as on the first viewing many telling details would be missed. It's strikingly clever, and some people will feel tricked towards the end when they're hit with a conventional yet brilliantly crafted plot device. If you decide to watch this one, throw out all your preconceptions and attitude and prepare for one sleek ride.

I still have the Netflix DVD, think I'll watch some of the scenes again before I mail it back tomorrow.

Last edited by Trep; 09-25-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:44 AM   #375

I saw Broken Flowers.

Great movie, but then, what else was I expecting from Jarmuch?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:58 AM   #376
Doctor Watson

I too, saw Howl's Moving Castle. My personal preference for an ending would have been a more (though you would probably say less) romantic and realistic one, but the humour was of the kind that I enjoy very much, and there was something in the protagonist's pure love that I could relate to ver well. That's why I thought that she deserved someone better, or that in reality people like Howl don't change and that the movie therefore gives false hope to people all around the world... But that's just my experience. Otherwise I really enjoyed it, including irony of the ending.

Last edited by Wormsie; 09-26-2005 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:52 AM   #377

No one wants to give Corpse Bride a test drive for us?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:39 AM   #378
Epinionated.

*MAJOR SPOILERS*

Animators views on seeing Corpse Bride -
http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/u...c;f=1;t=010647
Old 09-26-2005, 06:50 AM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
*MAJOR SPOILERS*

Animators views on seeing Corpse Bride -
http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/u...c;f=1;t=010647
I don't want to be spoiled. Could you give us a thumbs up or a thumbs down?

It'd better be a thumbs up or it's

for you.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:50 AM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
I don't want to be spoiled. Could you give us a thumbs up or a thumbs down?

It'd better be a thumbs up or it's

for you.

The choice is easy if you ask me