You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Does anyone think we should have an age restriction on the forums?

View Poll Results: Should we have an age restriction policy?
Yes - these are adult forums with adult topics!!! 3 6.25%
No way - haven't you heard of freedom of speech??? 38 79.17%
I think children should be allowed to post in certain areas only! 6 12.50%
Other 3 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Default Does anyone think we should have an age restriction on the forums?

Given the recent addition of ... er... younger people to our forums - I was just wondering if anybody here think we should have an age restiction policy?

I know it's very hard to implement but due to age problems I feel some people's recent posts have been bordering on ...... SPAM

I would just like to add that I am not AGEIST
Old 03-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Given the recent addition of ... er... younger people to our forums - I was just wondering if anybody here think we should have an age restiction policy?

I know it's very hard to implement but due to age problems I feel some people's recent posts have been bordering on ...... SPAM

I would just like to add that I am not AGEIST
Coughcoughvolcaniccoughcough

Anyway, I'd have to say no. While we may get a few attention starved gerber babies in here, banning them all would mean losing great members like DemonFox, and to me it's just not worth it. Plus, they could just lie about their age to get in.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
merely human

They could easily lie about their age, but their behaviour gives them away far too readily. It's cakewalk for a grownup to act like a kid, but when a kid tries to act like a grownup it's not only particularly cute........it's also too damn obvious.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
Homer of Kittens

How about we tag the main page of the website with a big M FOR MATURE. That will keep the little buggers away.

Firefox rules
Old 03-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I suppose you are both right, but certain people's dumb, spam-like posts are really starting to annoy me
Obviusly I won't name names but I think you all know who I'm talking about?!?

I wouldn't normally bring this up but He does interrupt ongoing conversations with topics like " any one want to chat - I'm bored) - WTF???
Old 03-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #6
merely human

How a big sign saying

Do not even think of joining
this community until you've
cleaned up your room,
do you hear?!!

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I don't know, I voted Other (not a freedom of speech issue - there is responsiblity involved, too). There are younger very mature members around here who contribute a lot to the forum. As it is, I'm sure the moderators can figure out which members are wearing out their welcome and deal with them appropriately.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
merely human

Yes, but unfortunately we can't spank them.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:19 PM   #9
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yes, but unfortunately we can't spank them.
Although some of us would like to
Old 03-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #10

If someone's posts are malicious and damaging to the community, then of course they should be banned. But no one should be excluded based only on their age.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

I would hesitate to suggest something like an age restriction, simply because younger people can be productive members of the community, too. Who decides how young is too young? How old were many of us when we started playing adventure games? Sure, we may not have been great conversationalists at the time... but that's not (necessarily) the focus of this site, and there are plenty of articulate "younger" people among our ranks, too. Age should not determine someone's inclusion in a community -- their contributions should.

People who don't mesh with the community tend not to stick around. On the flip side, I'm sure there are plenty of lurkers who would love to post here but are intimidated by the general tone of our posts. Which doesn't mean we should change who we are -- but we should remember that a community is not only comprised of its most vocal members.

Besides, although the occasional out of place post can be annoying (for me too, believe me! Or have you all forgotten that I poop on logs?), it's not as if the forums have become overrun with them. Not yet, anyway.

-emily

Last edited by fov; 03-01-2005 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2005, 04:36 PM   #12
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Or have you all forgotten that I poop on logs?
That one still cracks me up! I almost wish that the spammer said that to me so I could put it in my signature or member title. Almost.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #13
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Oh no!! Exactly what I didnt want!!!

Now everyone's going to think I'm a bigot!!!

I just had problems with the spam-like, off-topic parts of certain people's posts ( well, one person actually) and became worried that the whole forums would eventually be overrun by 10 yr olds ing everyone in sight
Old 03-01-2005, 04:41 PM   #14
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Or have you all forgotten that I poop on logs?), it's not as if the forums have become overrun with them. Not yet, anyway.

-emily
Heehee
Sorry fovily, but I think this may have been a bit early for me ... but do you really POOP on logs
Old 03-01-2005, 04:47 PM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Well, it was written in black and white on the internet, so it MUST be true.

It was only a few weeks ago. I deleted it relatively quickly. Figured there was no reason to broadcast THAT particular bit of personal information to the world...

I understand the concern, I just don't think it's a problem of global proportions quite yet. And lest anyone thinks we mods just sit around and look cute* all day... we ARE all over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
How a big sign saying

Do not even think of joining
this community until you've
cleaned up your room,
do you hear?!!
If that were a requirement, I would have been banned long ago.

-emily

*not too hard - we're some fine looking mods!

Last edited by fov; 03-01-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #16
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Well, it was written in black and white on the internet, so it MUST be true.

It was only a few weeks ago. I deleted it relatively quickly. Figured there was no reason to broadcast THAT particular bit of personal information to the world...

I understand the concern, I just don't think it's a problem of global proportions quite yet. And lest anyone thinks we mods just sit around and look cute* all day... we ARE all over this.

If that were a requirement, I would have been banned long ago.

-emily

*not too hard - we're some fine looking mods!
I really didnt want this to come across as a one-man war against kids - I do know what it's like to be that age and have opinions, but I knew when and when not to express the correct one!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:06 PM   #17
Curiouser and curiouser

No age restriction, I think, for all the reasons mentioned: 1) it's too hard to enforce; 2) it's arbitrary . . . people don't all become mature at the same rate (coughcough look at the evidence on the forum ); 3) if we're trying to screen out drivel, we'd have to screen ourselves.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #18
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

In retrospect, I really don't believe in restricting people according to age, but I do think we should keep a closer eye on the people who are posting here!

After all, some people do mature quicker than others
Old 03-01-2005, 05:42 PM   #19
Citizen of Bizarro World

Restricting kids from coming to these forums would make no sense. If you read the "Now hiring" article, it mentions how AG wants to expand into covering kids' adventure games. If anything, kids coming to these forums should be protected from certain topics which discuss adult themes. (I wish I was protected from seeing Temporary Scars' avatar! :eek: ) So maybe there should be an age inquiry upon registration, and a certain mod-imposed limit to their movement. Which of course doesn't prevent them from lying in order to acces the "grown up" discussions. Lying, after all, falls under freedom of speech, right?

BTW, maybe this should be moved to forum feedback, or is no-one really taking this conversation seriously?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Sirus

Vote: All of the above.