You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Does anyone think we should have an age restriction on the forums?

View Poll Results: Should we have an age restriction policy?
Yes - these are adult forums with adult topics!!! 3 6.25%
No way - haven't you heard of freedom of speech??? 38 79.17%
I think children should be allowed to post in certain areas only! 6 12.50%
Other 3 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 12:20 AM   #41
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
They probably won't. I don't think vB recalculates post counts on thread moves.
Sure does. I just moved this thread into Chit Chat and then back here. My post count went down then back up, accordingly.

(Would this constitute an abuse of power?)

Tune in next week, for another episode of Stupid Mod Tricks...
Old 03-02-2005, 12:24 AM   #42
merely human

While you're at it, tabsie, could you please ban AGA for acting childish?

[serious Trep] I don't think it's much of a problem, really. I think fov, Voodsie, and others would agree that we can maintain an egalitarian treatment of everyone here regardless of age. Thus, you spam, you get panned. Or banned if you're truly, relentlessly bad. But as far as the little boogers stumbling on more 'mature' topics being discussed, I think it's unlikely they'll be scarred for the rest of their lives from it. For one thing, they may not know wot the frick we're talking about essentially. [/serious Trep]
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-02-2005, 12:24 AM   #43
Doctor Watson

I started posting when I was 15, and I remember I was even more stupid than now. I think there were a few posts in the Agast discussion board that had CAPITAL LETTERS AND A WAILING TONE!! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO, AGAST CRASHES!!!!???? AAARGH!

...That was rather childish, but I hope I've grown slightly.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:25 AM   #44
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Tune in next week, for another episode of Stupid Mod Tricks...
Silly rabbit. Tricks are for kids.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-02-2005, 12:28 AM   #45
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
The user can chose whether or not their poll will disclose who voted for what. If you look around at past polls on this forum you'll discover that some have public results and some have private.
Okay, cool, I didn't know that
Old 03-02-2005, 12:33 AM   #46
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
that had CAPITAL LETTERS AND A WAILING TONE!! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO, AGAST CRASHES!!!!???? AAARGH!
Good to know you've overcome your pirate ways and realized that wailing is wrong. Agast, me heartey, the poor whales only want to eat plankton and mate. Who among us hasn't wanted to do one or both of those things? It doesn't warrant a harpoon in the blowhole, though.

Sorry, I'm just being silly and it's late, so I could not resist... I hope that's okay. I'll just go to bed now...
Old 03-02-2005, 12:44 AM   #47
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
While you're at it, tabsie, could you please ban AGA for acting childish?

[serious Trep] I don't think it's much of a problem, really. I think fov, Voodsie...
Even in serious mode you add 'sie' to the end of usernames... Amazing...
Old 03-02-2005, 12:49 AM   #48
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Default rose tinted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
I was 15 when I first started posting on forums, and I typed and acted exactly as I do now, which I like to think is maturely and sensibly.
Have you got proof of that? I know that I'd like to say that sort of thing about myself and my old posting habits, but then the Scumm Bar site unearths guest book entries I wrote in 1997 or something that are completely embarassing and hilarious which paint me as the ranting (I Was a Teenage) Newbie that I was, and am hopefully not so much anymore.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 03-02-2005, 12:59 AM   #49
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I would hesitate to suggest something like an age restriction, simply because younger people can be productive members of the community, too. Who decides how young is too young? How old were many of us when we started playing adventure games? Sure, we may not have been great conversationalists at the time... but that's not (necessarily) the focus of this site, and there are plenty of articulate "younger" people among our ranks, too. Age should not determine someone's inclusion in a community -- their contributions should.

People who don't mesh with the community tend not to stick around. On the flip side, I'm sure there are plenty of lurkers who would love to post here but are intimidated by the general tone of our posts. Which doesn't mean we should change who we are -- but we should remember that a community is not only comprised of its most vocal members.

Besides, although the occasional out of place post can be annoying (for me too, believe me! Or have you all forgotten that I poop on logs?), it's not as if the forums have become overrun with them. Not yet, anyway.

-emily

Well I agree with Emily on this one.

Yes kids can be annoying with how and what they post, but they should not be restricted; at the end of the day the Internet is a potentially risky place where kids can be exposed to "adult" themes - its up to their parents to ensure that they take the necessary measures with web security.

But if I came here as a young lad and found I was restricted, I'd be a bit narked tbh.

AF

Θα ημουν μαλλον στο ποδιλατο μου!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 02:40 AM   #50
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Have you got proof of that? I know that I'd like to say that sort of thing about myself and my old posting habits, but then the Scumm Bar site unearths guest book entries I wrote in 1997 or something that are completely embarassing and hilarious which paint me as the ranting (I Was a Teenage) Newbie that I was, and am hopefully not so much anymore.
This is the earliest post I could find, on the first forums I registered on. I was there for a year or two before that, but the forum archives don't go that far back. I would have been 16 at the time of posting.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:20 AM   #51
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
This is the earliest post I could find, on the first forums I registered on. I was there for a year or two before that, but the forum archives don't go that far back. I would have been 16 at the time of posting.
There is one of those 'crazy frog' Jamster ads on that page. I don't get it, why the heck did they give the frog model a penis? They had to cover it up in this ad. Its one of life's little perplexities.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:48 AM   #52
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

I don't know. It's places like EZboard that make me glad I use Firefox and AdBlock. The ads are so obnoxious there. As for why the frog has a penis, I have no idea. It's freaky enough without realistic genitals...
Old 03-02-2005, 03:51 AM   #53
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
(Hey, EC, I like the new avatar!)
Thanks--I'm mostly posting so I can see myself. (Well, Zoe . . . or not really, since they changed her . . . )

Anyway, one more thing--how lame would it be for the ADULTS who want to come to AG forums to have to read something about how you must be 18 to enter, and are you really 18, etc. I don't think a notice like that would convey the right impression about forum content to new forumites. There is certainly adult conversation in places . . . but adults are adults, and they can avoid topics they don't like. (Personally, I'm avoiding the Neapolitan Ice Cream topic like the plague, because I hate that stuff. )

Meanwhile there is and of course is supposed to be ample discussion of serious and weighty gaming topics of momentous global importance on the gaming threads. 8-)
Old 03-02-2005, 04:44 AM   #54
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I would hesitate to suggest something like an age restriction, simply because younger people can be productive members of the community, too.
Case in point, I was probably 13 when I started making websites, and about 15 when I started AG (or, more accurately, the site that would later be renamed to AG).

I think the only solid argument in favor of an age restriction is keeping younger gamers away from mature topics in Chit Chat. But that sort of thing is near-impossible to enforce on the internet.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:11 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
I think the only solid argument in favor of an age restriction is keeping younger gamers away from mature topics in Chit Chat. But that sort of thing is near-impossible to enforce on the internet.
There are definitely threads/posts in Chit Chat that I personally wouldn't want younger kids to read. I must say that I have greatly enjoyed some of those threads myself and would feel a great loss if they go away. The Sex thread that's currently on going and the seduction thread (isn't it interesting how these "mature" threads seem to be always started by Trep? ) are two good examples.

Now, the question I want to ask is this: since there are younger forum members who shouldn't be reading those threads and most of us would agree that an age-based restriction on the forums is wrong and not easily implemented, do we need to police ourselves and be careful about what we post? As Trep observed and as far as I can tell, none of the threads are explicit or overly raunchy but I still wouldn't want a ten-year old to be reading them. I consider AG, the site in general and the forums in particular, to be a very valuable source of entertainment and information and would like to have it become available to a wide audience. So that means I should try to be respectful of all people who might be accessing the site and be careful about what I post, right?

What are your thoughts? Is this just a hypocritical nonsense or am I making some sense or am I being just my usual self and walking around worrying about the sky falling?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:31 AM   #56
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
What are your thoughts? Is this just a hypocritical nonsense?
Yes. I remember that in school sex education started when we were around nine years old or something. What harm could it possibly do to a child to know about things like that early on? The topics are discussed in a civilized manner - it's not pr0n. And let's face it, they don't even understand what it is that adults like so very much about sex. In their opinion girls/boys are yucky.

I wouldn't mind it if a ten year old read those threads, but they probably just wouldn't be interested anyway.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #57
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Now, the question I want to ask is this: since there are younger forum members who shouldn't be reading those threads and most of us would agree that an age-based restriction on the forums is wrong and not easily implemented, do we need to police ourselves and be careful about what we post? ... What are your thoughts?
My thoughts: Where are the parents?

That's their job, not ours.

Although I completely disagree with age verification on this site, it would be kind of funny if it were done like the "Are you legal?" questions you used to see at the beginning of Leisure Suit Larry games. Of course, I managed to hack through those... a challenge in itself.

-emily
Old 03-02-2005, 07:33 AM   #58
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Do you remember Prodigy?

...didn't think so.
Of course I do!

BREATHE THE PRESSURE! DON'T PLAY MY GAME I'LL TEST YAAAA!

or

SMACK MY BITCH UP!

They were kinda wick.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:17 AM   #59
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
I hope that's okay.
Of course it is not OK! You used the word "mate", and made an off-topic post in Forum Feedback. We will keelhaul you now.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #60

What the others said.
We have a few great 10 to 14 years old contributors, and one (slightly) annoying spammer. Who cares? (erm, apart for Mansie, that is ).