You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
No justice. Only me.

Default I have done it!

This is kind of old news with me, since I achieved this over winter break, but I haven't yet shared it with you guys yet. I am particularly proud to say that I have now read EVERY SINGLE Discworld novel! That is to say, of the "regular" series. I got The Last Hero for Christmas, so that was the last one.

Now I have to get to work on the young-adult ones.

"Ther' can be on'y one t'ousand!"
Old 01-24-2005, 11:50 PM   #2
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
This is kind of old news with me, since I achieved this over winter break, but I haven't yet shared it with you guys yet. I am particularly proud to say that I have now read EVERY SINGLE Discworld novel! That is to say, of the "regular" series. I got The Last Hero for Christmas, so that was the last one.

Now I have to get to work on the young-adult ones.

"Ther' can be on'y one t'ousand!"
Enjoy the Bromeliad trilogy, too!
Old 01-24-2005, 11:50 PM   #3
No justice. Only me.

Also, if ANYONE has any idea where I can get copies, (online or otherwise,) of the Streets of Ankh-Morpork or Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, I'd appreciate it. They both seem to be out of print.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:11 AM   #4

Hey congrats.

I really want to start reading books from the Discworld series. Could someone suggest a good place to start? There are so many books, I have no idea which one I should read first!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
No justice. Only me.

http://www.co.uk.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/index.html

This should basically guide you in the right direction, although I'd recommend holding off on the "Rincewind Series" until you're more familiar with the world. Even though The Color of Magic was the first one published, you'll enjoy it more if you hold off on it a bit.

My personal recommendation for where to start is Guards! Guards!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:23 AM   #6

Quote:
http://www.co.uk.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/index.html

This should basically guide you in the right direction, although I'd recommend holding off on the "Rincewind Series" until you're more familiar with the world. Even though The Color of Magic was the first one published, you'll enjoy it more if you hold off on it a bit.

My personal recommendation for where to start is Guards! Guards!
Excellent, thanks for the link! I've had people tell me not to start with the first book before, which is where the confusion came from. I'll take your advice and start with the Guards book, then.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:19 AM   #7
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

I've only ever read one Discworld book - Jingo.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:47 AM   #8
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I've read them all, and plan on re-reading them soon.

What did you think of "Going Postal", CR?

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Also, if ANYONE has any idea where I can get copies, (online or otherwise,) of the Streets of Ankh-Morpork or Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, I'd appreciate it. They both seem to be out of print.
I found an english version of the paperback Nanny Ogg's Cookbook at big german chain bookstore ("Hugendubel").

That was not too long ago. After summer 2004.

Also, Amazon.co.uk still seems to have it.

-

Old 01-25-2005, 08:50 AM   #10

I've read all of them (but the last hero, I think).
I loved them all, but it really seems to me like they're going and better and better.
Going Postal was quite awesome.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:00 AM   #11
Friendly Server Admin

Going Postal was good. As much as I like the regular characters (especially the watch), it's fun to get the books with standalone characters, like Going Postal, Monstrous Regiment, Small Gods, etc.. Small Gods, by the way, is one of my all-time favorites

I second starting with Guards, Guards, by the way. The style of Pratchett's writing changes a fair amount after a few books, and so does his approach to some of the characters, so the first few books he wrote (Color of magic, light fantastic, equal rites, mort) don't have the same feel to them as the later books. Not that it's a bad thing, I just think it's easier to get into the later ones and then go back.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #12
merely human

Congrats, CR!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-25-2005, 10:06 AM   #13
Epinionated.

I've got the Streets of Ankh Morpork somewhere. Don't think it's here though. I'll see if I can dig it out, but I might not be able to if it's in the loft at my parents house.

edit - no, it's at my parents house. I get the feeling I know where it is... if you want to make me an offer on it, I'll see if I can get my dad to look on the shelves and see if they can post it to you.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:17 AM   #14
Friendly Server Admin

My copy of Streets of Ankh Morpork is hanging on my wall right across from me, and right under the Discworld Map. I need to find A Tourist's Guide To Lancre and Death's Domain. Or buy them, at least.

...now if only Jake would read the copy of Small Gods I loaned to him
Old 01-25-2005, 12:03 PM   #15
Umbilicus Mundi

Don't you guys get sick of Discworld? I read 4 or 5 books, that was quite eough.

And the damn bookstores are filled with this shit, half the sci-fi section is owned by Terry & John.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #16
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Don't you guys get sick of Discworld? I read 4 or 5 books, that was quite eough.

And the damn bookstores are filled with this shit, half the sci-fi section is owned by Terry & John.
Not really, no. I enjoy the fairly light writing style, the humor, and the fact that the stories tend to be pretty unpredictable (i.e. not boring)

Who's John?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki

Don't you dare insult our king!

-

Old 01-25-2005, 12:45 PM   #18

Is the Discworld series kind of like the Xanth series? I suppose I'll give it a try sometime in the future, but right now I've got lots of other books lined up first.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:58 PM   #19
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw
Is the Discworld series kind of like the Xanth series? I suppose I'll give it a try sometime in the future, but right now I've got lots of other books lined up first.
I haven't read the Xanth books, but from looking at the first few pages of one on amazon, I think Pratchett may be a little lighter as far as his writing style.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:33 PM   #20
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
My copy of Streets of Ankh Morpork is hanging on my wall right across from me, and right under the Discworld Map. I need to find A Tourist's Guide To Lancre and Death's Domain. Or buy them, at least.
I have both the Mapp and the Tourist's Guide to Lancre, which I actually bought at Harrods when I was in London once. And no, it wasn't overpriced. The bookstore at Harrods is actually regularly priced. (For London, at least.)

I really liked Going Postal, myself. It had always bugged me how often the A-M Post Office had been mentioned without anything actually being DONE about it. Plus I was really glad that Sacharissa and Otto made their way back into it. The Truth is one of my favorites.

In terms of my favorite ones, I have a hard time deciding between Men at Arms and Soul Music. I love the Watch more than anything, but all the great music references in Soul Music, specifically the band "We're Certainly Dwarves," tips the balance a bit. The animated miniseries is pretty good too, and is able to add a few more jokes.

Spoiler:
During one concert, The Band With Rocks In is dressed up like the Lonely Hearts Club Band, and they play a song that sounds EXACTLY like Jimi Hendrix's "Foxy Lady," but isn't. At other concerts they emulate the Blues Brothers and the Grateful Dead.

Edit: By the way, I just found a copy of Streets of A-M online. It had never occurred to me to try the Amazon z-Shops before.

Last edited by ConcreteRancor; 01-25-2005 at 01:49 PM.