You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 11:33 PM   #21
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Who's John?
Tolkien.

It just pisses me off somewhat that thanks to these two guys taking all the space, there's hardly any other choice if you have other interests when it comes to sci-fi/fantasy.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:37 PM   #22
merely human

Well, there's also Isacc Asimov. Haven't read anything of him yet, but the movies Blade Runner and I, Robot were based on his stories.

Incidentally, my sister has read practically every single one of Agatha Christie's novels - and she wrote, what, 80 of them? :eek:
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-26-2005, 07:00 AM   #23
No justice. Only me.

According to a friend of mine, the George R. R. Martin series Song of Ice and Fire is killer. I'd read it myself, but all the bookstores I go to always have every book in the series except the first. Kind of pointless, that.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:25 AM   #24
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Well, there's also Isacc Asimov. Haven't read anything of him yet, but the movies Blade Runner and I, Robot were based on his stories.
I meant the bookstores are filled with Tolkien/Pratchett. I started going to the library instead, but I read so little lately that I have to return the books before I finish them.

PS. Blade Runner is based on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick, not Isaac Asimov. (ignore that link, I had to look him up and couldn't remove the link when pasting)

Old 01-26-2005, 07:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
According to a friend of mine, the George R. R. Martin series Song of Ice and Fire is killer. I'd read it myself, but all the bookstores I go to always have every book in the series except the first. Kind of pointless, that.
It is and awesome series. Get them from Amazon. That's what I did with the second and third books because I really like the trade paperback format, and I couldn't find those anywhere else.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:25 AM   #26
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I also enjoy reading the books by Tamora Pierce .

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #27
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Tolkien.

It just pisses me off somewhat that thanks to these two guys taking all the space, there's hardly any other choice if you have other interests when it comes to sci-fi/fantasy.
Really? I mean, most of the ones I go to have lots of Tolkien/Pratchett, but they don't take up more than a shelf or two, tops. Even Borders.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:31 AM   #28
Umbilicus Mundi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Really? I mean, most of the ones I go to have lots of Tolkien/Pratchett, but they don't take up more than a shelf or two, tops. Even Borders.
Well, we're a small place, I don't remember the number of people who speak Estonian (in the world) but it's somewhere between 1 million and 2 million. So we've never got a lot of sci-fi published in our language in the first place.

Now it's like -- oh, we have Tolkien and Pratchett, we don't need to translate/publish anything else (an exaggeration, but the thing about those two taking up HALF of the shelf-space is NOT an exaggeration).

I've had to resort to ordering from the internet and visiting libraries In the summer I ordered the whole Assassin/Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies by Robin Hobb. Lasted me a few months (each books is about 700-800 pages). And the Assassin trilogy became one of my all-time favorites.

I hear the situation is getting better, though.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:51 AM   #29
No justice. Only me.

What libraries do you go to that have decent sci-fi or fantasy sections? My enormous college library has ONE Terry Pratchett book and ONE George R. R. Martin book. And the local community library has none of either.

On the bright side, it gives me an excuse to keep buying these books, and I have an answer for my mom every time she asks, "Why do you buy all these books instead of getting them from the library?"

"BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE THEM!"
Old 01-26-2005, 12:47 PM   #30
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
What libraries do you go to that have decent sci-fi or fantasy sections? My enormous college library has ONE Terry Pratchett book and ONE George R. R. Martin book. And the local community library has none of either.

On the bright side, it gives me an excuse to keep buying these books, and I have an answer for my mom every time she asks, "Why do you buy all these books instead of getting them from the library?"

"BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE THEM!"
College libraries are not so good with the fiction. You're better off looking at a public library.

http://www.bcplonline.org/
Old 01-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #31

My schools library has only four Terry Pratchett books. And one of them double ("The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents"). The other two are "Feet of Clay" and "Lords and Ladies".

Recently they got their first Tamora Pierce books ("The Circle of Magic" Quartet. I had recommended it to them, but I don't know if they got it because of that. I had bought that series some weeks before, in the yearly book sale that we have in our school. [Four books for 10 € {About 7 English Pounds/13 US Dollar}! And they were new!]) in the english section (we also have a german section, a Korean section, and a section for some other languages (from Spanish over French, to Portugese).

Also, they had a habit of putting "Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka into the german section (the german title is "Die Verwandlung").

They also have Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and I think I have seen the Silmarillon.

They have Harry Potter, as well as Artemis Fowl.

Books by Jules Verne are also present.

There's a special small section for Drama (Shakespeare etc. Plays.)

The biggest section in my schools library is the Primary section (whole lower level. And the shelves of the Secondary section, which is on the upper level, are not even half full)

Still, we have a great variety of books.

-

Old 01-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Incidentally, my sister has read practically every single one of Agatha Christie's novels - and she wrote, what, 80 of them? :eek:

Trepsie

You haven't read Isaac Asimov and you call yourself a writer? He's one of my favorite authors of all time. He's known for his science fiction work but his nonfictions are even more incredible.

I'm so upset that I think I will you a bit more.

PS I,Robot took so much liberty with the ideas presented in Asimov's Robot novels and short stories, I almost felt physically sick watching it. I would have been a lot happier it they hadn't made the connection between the movie and his works. Asimov's robot shor stories featuring Susan Calvin are some of the examples of most-intellectualling-challengin and emotionally-satisfying SF stories of all time. Trep, you really need to get your hands on Asimov's short stories. If I know anyone who would enjoy them, it would be you.

Last edited by gillyruless; 01-26-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:10 PM   #33

If you like, your science fiction/fantasy with humor, you should check out Spider Robinson's Callahan's Crosstime Sallon and Lady Sally series. Callahan's Lady (first volume in the Lady Sally series) is the funniest book I have ever read in any genre. Start out with Callahan Chronicals, which combines first three books in the CCS series) and Callahan's Lady.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless

Trepsie

You haven't read Isaac Asimov and you call yourself a writer? He's one of my favorite authors of all time. He's known for his science fiction work but his nonfictions are even more incredible.

I'm so upset that I think I will you a bit more.

It's a Gilly Trep world...

-

Old 01-26-2005, 01:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
It's a Gilly Trep world...

-
Well, Jazy, I was very upset. Trep saying that he hasn't read any Asimov was almost as upsetting as hearing that you have never had pie. Two tragedies that need to be remedied immediately.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Well, Jazy, I was very upset. Trep saying that he hasn't read any Asimov was almost as upsetting as hearing that you have never had pie. Two tragedies that need to be remedied immediately.

Oh, thanks for reminding me. What's that "Pie for Jaz" fund doing?

I haven't manage to finish the one Asimov Book that I started to read...

-

Old 01-26-2005, 01:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Oh, thanks for reminding me. What's that "Pie for Jaz" fund doing?

I haven't manage to finish the one Asimov Book that I started to read...

-
I don't know. mag was in charge of the Pie for Jaz fund and he's been missing in action for a while now. Maybe, he's on a Caribbean isalnd right now spending the money we collected?

EDIT:Hmm, the cureent pieless state Jazy is in makes me wonder whether other Germans on the forum is also as pie-deprived as she is. BoyToy, what about you, have you had a good pie?

Last edited by gillyruless; 01-26-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #38

Quote:
If you like, your science fiction/fantasy with humor, you should check out Spider Robinson's Callahan's Crosstime Sallon and Lady Sally series.
I was just about to pimp his name. I'm reading The Free Lunch right now, and it's the first book I've read by him. It's a very fun read. I'll be looking into his other books later on.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:06 PM   #39
No justice. Only me.

Quote:

PLEASE don't turn this into another pie thread. :eek:
Old 01-27-2005, 04:26 AM   #40

Quote:
PLEASE don't turn this into another pie thread. :eek:

My purpose in life is to turn all threads in these forums into pie threads, until I get pie.

Now, Iggy.

"Resistance is futile."

-