You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2005, 11:52 PM   #41
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Also, if ANYONE has any idea where I can get copies, (online or otherwise,) of the Streets of Ankh-Morpork or Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, I'd appreciate it. They both seem to be out of print.
I will check in my local barnes and noble and buy it for you if you like. I saw tons of books in the series.

Firefox rules
Old 03-02-2005, 09:46 AM   #42
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
My copy of Streets of Ankh Morpork is hanging on my wall right across from me, and right under the Discworld Map. I need to find A Tourist's Guide To Lancre and Death's Domain. Or buy them, at least.

...now if only Jake would read the copy of Small Gods I loaned to him
Discworld map? Didn't Terry Pratchet say in his book that you can't map a sense of humor? I just started reading Guards! Guards! according to the recommendation of the folks here, and I love it. Question: I haven't played the discworld adventure games. Are they in any way related to the stories?

Firefox rules
Old 03-02-2005, 09:51 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Discworld map? Didn't Terry Pratchet say in his book that you can't map a sense of humor? I just started reading Guards! Guards! according to the recommendation of the folks here, and I love it. Question: I haven't played the discworld adventure games. Are they in any way related to the stories?
Yes, but not closely.
In each game, you find elements from a few books, characters you know, and pieces of different stories sewed together. It's quite great, actually, to have that familiar feeling, without actually knowing where the story is gonna lead us.
I strongly recommend the discworld games, if you don't have something against wacky and difficult puzzles.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:52 AM   #44
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28

Yes, he said that (I think he actually said that he didn't believe it was possible to map the disc. Well he also said that about Ankh-Morpork, and there is a map of it.). In the foreword to the Discworld Mapp he says that he later realized he needed a map in order not to run into errors in later stories.

I've purchased all of the three maps when I was in London.

Discworld Mapp - You should really buy the map, though. This picture doesn't do it credit.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #45
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
Hey congrats.

I really want to start reading books from the Discworld series. Could someone suggest a good place to start? There are so many books, I have no idea which one I should read first!
I started with "Guards, Guards"! which is dead funny, but so far the funiest one I have read has got to be Pyramids; this just cracks me up.

Others I'd recommend are:

Interesting Times
Feet of Clay
Small Gods
Jingo (hehe...curious squid)
Mort (as its quite short and I believe is a good start to the series).
Men at Arms
Moving Pictures

These are my favourites so far, although I didnt like Masquerade; just a tad boring and to me, not that funny

I recommend you start with Mort 8-)

AF

Θα ημουν μαλλον στο ποδιλατο μου!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton28
I started with "Guards, Guards"! which is dead funny, but so far the funiest one I have read has got to be Pyramids; this just cracks me up.
I too liked pyramids a lot, mainly because I like the assassin guild, so having one of its members as the hero thrilled me.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:04 PM   #47
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I too liked pyramids a lot, mainly because I like the assassin guild, so having one of its members as the hero thrilled me.
Pyramids is also a cornerstone to the series because it started the whole calling Terry Pratchett "Pterry" thing.