You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Do you drink bottled water?

View Poll Results: Do you drink bottled water?
I only drink bottled water and/or purified spring water (you know what I mean). 8 23.53%
I drink water only from the faucet. 5 14.71%
I drink water from wherever I can get it, including the local pond. 13 38.24%
I don't like water. 3 8.82%
Other 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin
Default Do you drink bottled water?

I'm not a huge fan of this bottled water, and am kind of suspicious that these bottled water companies just fill their bottles up from the faucet anyway.

What do you guys think?

There are obviously areas in the world where there isn't clean water coming from a faucet, but here in good ole Minnesota of 10,000 lakes, the water is pure indeed.

Damn, I should've done a preferential poll instead. That was a dumb move!

Last edited by Terabin; 02-24-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #2
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Yes, but we fill the bottles (really strong 2 liter bottles. They used to contain "Almdudler", which is a herbal lemonade. And it is bottled by the CocaCola Company [though I doubt it is produced by them], and the bottles are at least as strong as the large Coca Cola bottles) ourselves from the faucet.

Although my father actually brought some small bottles of "Vittel" water. Nothing beats Vittel and Evian water. I believe them, that they fill it from a real natural (but of course, they drilled a well) spring - the EU is quite strict on that. You can't write "Spring water" on it if it isn't real spring water.

Evian saved my life when I was in Shanghai - Shanghai is HOT. And even though the local brands of bottled water were cheaper, I preferred Evian (which was more expensive, because it has to be imported. But we found a quite cheap 2 liter bottle of Evian. Well, quite a lot of things in China are cheaper than they are here). That is because the local bottled waters ALL tasted swampy.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabin
I'm not a huge fan of this bottled water, and am kind of suspicious that these bottled water companies just fill their bottles up from the faucet anyway.
Yes, indeed!

Apparently a lot of bottled water is nothing more than mains tap water, although it is first 'treated', which presumably means that the chemicals added (for instance fluoride, as added to UK tap water to strengthen teeth?) are removed again.

It's all pretty irrelevant for me - I don't drink water by itself. It has to have something added to it (preferably tea!) for me to touch it!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

I carry a nalgene bottle that I usually fill from either a Brita pitcher at home or the filtered water tap we have at work.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
merely human

I only drink bottled water on the go and on trips. At home our drinking water is from a highly filtered tap. When I lived alone I had a Brita pitcher, and that was great. If I happen to be abroad (which I haven't been in almost 4 years) I will only take Evian or Vittel, as their high quality and purity are always reliable. But here in the States most any brand bottled water will do. We have excellent filtering systems here. But in a less developed country like the Philippines or South America, absolutely only Evian or Vittel, no local brands, unh uh!!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-24-2005, 01:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I only drink bottled water on the go and on trips.
Same with me.

Bottled water can taste better than the faucet variety, particularly if the pipes are in bad shape.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
Homer of Kittens

I only drink bottled water. My favorite is aquafina, but crystal geyser is also great.

Firefox rules
Old 02-24-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
Graceful Assassin

Oh come on! A topic about water? :eek: The end of the world must be near...
Well I don't like water. Just gimme a bottle of Coke and I'm happy.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
Umbilicus Mundi

I mostly drink tap water at home. It's good enough. Bottled water, sometimes. And at work we have those big water canisters or what-do-you-call-them. A company delivers them, I believe it's spring water.

At our summer house, we get the water manually from a well and that's the best.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:33 PM   #10
Citizen of Bizarro World

Bottled water's practically ALL I've been drinking lately. No sodas (except an occasional Pepsi diet, to break the monotony), no nuthin. Supposedly, it's healthy that way.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem

Last edited by Maquisard; 02-24-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #11
merely human

Yeah, I should cut down on the sugary fizzy shit myself. Okay from now on, it's nothing but pure water and fruit juices!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #12
Doctor Watson

Botteled water, JEEZE!
Old 02-24-2005, 04:16 PM   #13
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα

"Other"

As I dont like water to drink unless its got something else in it. Only time I will drink it is when I am cycling and I have my "Camelback" piping water into my gob - if I dont drink on the bike, then I will seize up; just like any serious cyclist.

The other time I will only drink it is on hoilday. Usually Greece,as its not recommended to drink the tap water there.

Oh and theres water with ale in it, of course

AF

Θα ημουν μαλλον στο ποδιλατο μου!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I usually only drink Aquafina water. I buy 16.9 ounce bottles in the 12-pack cases.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Yeah, I should cut down on the sugary fizzy shit myself. Okay from now on, it's nothing but pure water and fruit juices!
Fruit juices usually have lots of sugar.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:26 PM   #16
merely human

Not the fresh squeezed ones I do, hon.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:56 PM   #17
merely human

The Ithorians would laugh their asses off if they found out what we earthlings have done to our natural resources. That is, if they even have asses to laugh off.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:38 AM   #18
Liver of Life

Where I am, I can actually tell the difference between bottled water (namely Dasani) and tap, water-fountain water. But, personally, I don't think one tastes better than the other, and thus have no objection to drinking either.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:03 AM   #19

Quote:
The Ithorians would laugh their asses off if they found out what we earthlings have done to our natural resources. That is, if they even have asses to laugh off.
No way! They'd import dinosaur t-rex whales from naboo to recycle our CO2 into oxygen, water and puppies!

The water here in Amsterdam is better than bottled water, according to studies, so why bother with that
Old 02-25-2005, 02:15 AM   #20
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
the EU is quite strict on that. You can't write "Spring water" on it if it isn't real spring water.
Wouldn't count on it. "Sourcy" for example, which is sold in Holland, is just tap water with added bubbles.

jjacob is right about the tap water in and around Amsterdam. I've never tasted anything better anywhere. The water here is filtered naturally through the sand in the dunes, or something. It's delicious.