You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat on the nature of cheese...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 09:56 PM   #41
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Ninth, I think you'd find that they retain their French names:
Camembert, Brie, Montrachet, Roquefort

Or Italian:
Provolone, Romano, Parmesan(o),Fontina, Mozzarella

FGM
It depends on how confusable you are. The first time I lived in Paris, I went to the supermarket the first or second day I arrived, with my high school French (which hadn't been used for three years) and not a clue about what I was doing. I went to the cheese counter and asked (in French) for Swiss cheese, which is our name for Emmental or Gruyere--I think actually I asked for cheese FROM Switzerland, or cheese made in Switzerland. Of course, the cheese guy was totally puzzled. He asked me to explain what I wanted so then I started describing how Swiss cheese has holes in it ( ), all of this IN FRENCH, mind you. He kept telling me I wanted either Emmental or Gruyere, but I had never heard those names, so I was like, no, I want Swiss cheese. Finally, I just shut up and bought the Emmental, and of course, it was great.

I won't even start about the day I tried to buy baker's yeast at the same supermarket without having looked up the word for it first . . .
Old 01-22-2005, 10:26 PM   #42
Bearly Here

Kept walking by this cheese thread and was thinking how much I loved cheese so that's what I had to eat.

Some crackers, pineapple and a thick slice of this Vod - current Swedish Cheddar (taste delish) and some Manchego cheese. mmmmmmm

OK stepping back out now.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:35 PM   #43
fov
Rattenmonster

Me too, Laura. I have an incredible weakness for cheese. Thought maybe if I stayed away from this thread it'd be better in the long run. But I am weak.

A few years ago we had one of those mobile clinic type dealies at work and they were giving out free cholesterol and blood glucose screenings. A combination of factors caused me to get a surprisingly high score on my cholesterol and my glucose (it was a non fasting test which mucks up the cholesterol reading, I was on some kind of steroid for allergies that messed up the glucose reading, and overall the people were not doing the testing right). I saw my results and absolutely flipped out. I don't eat meat, so I was sure the problem had to be my love of cheese. It was about 2 weeks before I could get the screening done by the doctor (had to get off the steroid first) and it was the most depressing 2 weeks of my life. Like, worse than being dumped a thousand times. No more cheese?! I wanted to kill myself.

Lucky for me the second test came back fine and I went back to my sinful ways... mmm... cheese...

Anything stinky works for me.

-emily
Old 01-22-2005, 11:13 PM   #44
Bearly Here

Quote:
Anything stinky works for me.
oooh yep, Got some stilton and aged Gorgonzola in the fridge too. Totally grossed out my youngest the other night by having stinky cheese and some smoked oysters on the side. He was like - "Can you smell this stuff!! Man, I will never eat that."

I just thought about when I said the SAME thing at his age and said with an evil smile "Oh yes you will ...one day heheh"

He's been giving me "the look" ever since,
Old 01-22-2005, 11:26 PM   #45
fov
Rattenmonster

mmm... I used to LOVE smoked oysters. And pickled herring. My mom would get several tins of it before we went for a boring vacation in Maine and every evening it was a treat for me when she served crackers and cheese and oysters or herring out of the tin.

I don't eat fish now, so I haven't had oysters in quite awhile. I used to love those guys though.

Something tells me I will be stopping by the fancy cheese counter at the grocery store tomorrow...

-emily
Old 01-23-2005, 12:03 AM   #46
Friendly Server Admin

Urgh. Just the thought of oysters and clams and whatnot makes me ill.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:12 AM   #47
merely human

I love a good, hearty New England clam chowder!

But for now I'll settle for this simple piping hot mug of chicken broth! I put in a tiny bit of oil, lots of chopped parsley, a bit of chives, fresh ground peppercorn, and a bit of chili pepper, and I'm having it with a little honey turkey on french bread with dijon mustard. And I'm looking out my window at a bitter cold winter night with 2 feet of snow everywhere. *sigh* Winter....
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-23-2005, 04:05 AM   #48
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
It depends on how confusable you are. The first time I lived in Paris, I went to the supermarket the first or second day I arrived, with my high school French (which hadn't been used for three years) and not a clue about what I was doing. I went to the cheese counter and asked (in French) for Swiss cheese, which is our name for Emmental or Gruyere--I think actually I asked for cheese FROM Switzerland, or cheese made in Switzerland. Of course, the cheese guy was totally puzzled. He asked me to explain what I wanted so then I started describing how Swiss cheese has holes in it ( ), all of this IN FRENCH, mind you. He kept telling me I wanted either Emmental or Gruyere, but I had never heard those names, so I was like, no, I want Swiss cheese. Finally, I just shut up and bought the Emmental, and of course, it was great.

I won't even start about the day I tried to buy baker's yeast at the same supermarket without having looked up the word for it first . . .

Just don't go and order a "Baiser" in a french bakery. It is called "Meringue"

Trust me, you don't want to order a "Baiser".

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-23-2005, 06:14 AM   #49
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7

We call it a meringue in English, so there wouldn't be a chance of that, but I know what the problem you're talking about is. Agirl I knew in high school was trying to ask her French exchange student to give her a kiss and asked for the wrong thing.

'Bout oysters and stinky cheese and things you never thought you would eat as a kid--absolutely. I hated olives and--well, basically anything with flavor. I lived on PB&J for the first 16 years of my life, pretty much. Now I'm a little better. My CAT on the other hand eats olives, and the pasta I cook, and once I caught him dipping his paw in some Italian fizzy mineral water I had bought and licking it off. (He looked thoughtful for a minute, tried another taste, and then stopped. ) I'm living with some reincarnated Umbrian in a cat's body.

Oh, and he LOVES Parmesan.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:08 AM   #50

Quote:
We call it a meringue in English, so there wouldn't be a chance of that, but I know what the problem you're talking about is. Agirl I knew in high school was trying to ask her French exchange student to give her a kiss and asked for the wrong thing.

'Bout oysters and stinky cheese and things you never thought you would eat as a kid--absolutely. I hated olives and--well, basically anything with flavor. I lived on PB&J for the first 16 years of my life, pretty much. Now I'm a little better. My CAT on the other hand eats olives, and the pasta I cook, and once I caught him dipping his paw in some Italian fizzy mineral water I had bought and licking it off. (He looked thoughtful for a minute, tried another taste, and then stopped. ) I'm living with some reincarnated Umbrian in a cat's body.

Oh, and he LOVES Parmesan.

Are you sure that he is not Garfield in disguise? Does he like Lasagna?

-

Old 01-23-2005, 08:13 AM   #51
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Are you sure that he is not Garfield in disguise? Does he like Lasagna?
I'm not at ALL sure--he looks just like Garfield (no disguise needed). Haven't tried him with lasagna, but the pasta was one I made with meat sauce copied from my friend's lasagna. I'd post a picture of him but it's too big--or he is.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:17 AM   #52

Quote:
I'm not at ALL sure--he looks just like Garfield (no disguise needed). Haven't tried him with lasagna, but the pasta was one I made with meat sauce copied from my friend's lasagna. I'd post a picture of him but it's too big--or he is.

*grins*

-

Old 01-23-2005, 09:41 AM   #53
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

Quote:
I'm living with some reincarnated Umbrian in a cat's body.
*lol* That's sweeeeet.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:52 PM   #54

Quote:

Plus they kept flirting with you .
And you probably ask for fromage suisse, which indeed means cheese from Switzerland.
Roquefort or Camenbert with a glass of red wine

What's baker yeast?
Old 01-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #55

Quote:

-
Don't you?
Old 01-23-2005, 12:54 PM   #56

Quote:
A girl I knew in high school was trying to ask her French exchange student to give her a kiss and asked for the wrong thing.
Now I'm curious... What did she ask for? (wait, now that I think about it, I may have an idea)
Old 01-23-2005, 01:03 PM   #57
Epinionated.

Toma, a cheese from Piemmonte, is the nicest cheese I've tasted. Aged - nothing comes close, all crumbly, brown/orange and strong - smells like horse manure. But the taste is sublime... gorgeous with strong red wine like Barolo...

My girlf's from Torino, home of fine wines, cheese and -

Chocolate. Best I've ever tasted. If you're ever in Turin visit Al Bicerin, Italy's oldest café, and have some of their own-brand chocolate. Then drink the espresso/choc/cream mix Bicerin, or their excellent zabbaione.

Mmmm.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #58
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Toma, a cheese from Piemmonte, is the nicest cheese I've tasted. Aged - nothing comes close, all crumbly, brown/orange and strong - smells like horse manure. But the taste is sublime... gorgeous with strong red wine like Barolo...

My girlf's from Torino, home of fine wines, cheese and -

Chocolate. Best I've ever tasted. If you're ever in Turin visit Al Bicerin, Italy's oldest café, and have some of their own-brand chocolate. Then drink the espresso/choc/cream mix Bicerin, or their excellent zabbaione.
AARGH!! You epicurean bastard! You just made me want to have sex with food!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #59
Epinionated.

Why not?

I do it with wine!

Although you really need to watch yourself when handling bottlenecks.

OK, too subversive.

NEXXXT!
Old 01-23-2005, 02:25 PM   #60
merely human

Must. Not. Use. Imagination. Must. Not. Use. Imagination.