You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat on the nature of cheese...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 12:01 PM   #81
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Fresh Samantha is now owned by Odwalla, who corners the yuppie juice market in California, so they don't sell Fresh Samantha here.

ps But I just did a Google search and it seems Fresh Samantha isn't made any more. How very sad. That stuff was like pure heaven nectar.
Yeah, I walked into a store one day and all the F.S's were replaced by Odwalla's. Actually, they have somehow pretty much duplicated all the drinks and the flavors (at least the ones I used to drink), except without the fun names and labels. So, it could be worse. At least you can still get them, but it's not that same warm fuzzy feel.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:20 PM   #82
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyConfused
Yeah, I walked into a store one day and all the F.S's were replaced by Odwalla's. Actually, they have somehow pretty much duplicated all the drinks and the flavors (at least the ones I used to drink), except without the fun names and labels. So, it could be worse. At least you can still get them, but it's not that same warm fuzzy feel.
Bah.

R.I.P. Desperately Seeking C...
Old 01-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #83
Under pressure.

I... I don't get it? What's so special about that juice? Is it very different from Tropicana, for example?

--Erwin
Old 01-24-2005, 04:16 PM   #84
No justice. Only me.

Rrrg... I dislike Odwallas. We used to get Naked Juice in the school cafes, but now it's Odwalla, and it pisses me off. I used to have a Naked protein shake as part of my breakfast every day, but the Odwalla protein shakes are purely disgusting, so not anymore.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:33 PM   #85
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
I... I don't get it? What's so special about that juice? Is it very different from Tropicana, for example?
Tropicana? Surely you jest?!

Fresh Samantha was not from concentrate, not mass-produced (at least it didn't taste like it!), not loaded with sugar (which many juices are), fresh juice that got me through the bleakest winter days. That link only shows some of their flavors. Desperately Seeking C and Super Juice pretty much got me through college. They had plain old orange juice, etc. (still loads better than commercial juices like Tropicana), but their best flavors mixed a few different juices and were kind of like a smoothie. And they were chock full of vitamins... probably more vitamins than a person really *needs*, but drinking, say, 2000% of a daily Vitamin C allowance in one sitting made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Sigh.

-emily

ps I like Naked juice too. I have never really found an Odwalla flavor that I liked, though. I don't get why Odwalla is so popular and these other juices aren't. Or maybe it's because Odwalla just bought everyone else out.

Last edited by fov; 01-24-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:40 PM   #86
Friendly Server Admin

Martinelli's apple juice is quite good, and not from concentrate. Their apple cider is good too.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:49 PM   #87
fov
Rattenmonster

I am a HUGE apple cider whore. On the East Coast fresh apple cider is available for a much longer amount of time during the year (and is generally much more available) than in California. But Safeway carries fresh Ziegler's cider from about Thanksgiving through January and I drink it constantly during that time. I need to go get another few gallons before they yank it from the shelves...

I don't think I've had Martinelli's cider (we used to have the apple juice in the fridge all the time at my old job though. It was all the CTO would drink.) I'll have to try it when the Ziegler's goes away again.

-emily
Old 01-24-2005, 11:29 PM   #88
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Hey now, don't be bashing Tropicana. The Grovestand-style, extra-pulp is delicious. I have a carton in my mini-fridge right now. I think I will have some.

...ahhh...

I hate drinking orange juice without pulp. It seems so much more artificial.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:39 PM   #89
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Hey now, don't be bashing Tropicana. The Grovestand-style, extra-pulp is delicious. I have a carton in my mini-fridge right now. I think I will have some.

...ahhh...

I hate drinking orange juice without pulp. It seems so much more artificial.
Yes! Extra mega-pulp juice all the way! I can't stand pulp-free juice. My mother and sister insist on it, which drives me nuts.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:18 AM   #90
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

Fresh Samantha was not from concentrate, not mass-produced (at least it didn't taste like it!), not loaded with sugar (which many juices are), fresh juice that got me through the bleakest winter days. That link only shows some of their flavors. Desperately Seeking C and Super Juice pretty much got me through college. They had plain old orange juice, etc. (still loads better than commercial juices like Tropicana), but their best flavors mixed a few different juices and were kind of like a smoothie.
Yeah, I don't even much LIKE juice, or fruit, and I LOVED these things. They were like eating fruit (um, except I just said I didn't like it. But oh well, THAT's how good they were.) They were really, really thick, for you pulp freaks out there--almost like shakes, except that they didn't have anything but juice in them (well, some of them; some had soy in them.) I was a big Desperately Seeking C fan; also Mango Mamma. Mmmmmmm . . .

Oh, I just read that Emily already said they were like a smoothie. Darn. Well, this is going up anyway, because THAT's how good they were, and the world should know, and mourn.

Fresh Samantha definitely didn't start out mass produced, anyway. It was one of those New-Englandy Ben-and-Jerry's type homegrown companies . . . the founders named it after their daughter.

Pulp sucks. It gets stuck in your teeth like corn on the cob, which is why corn on the cob ALSO sucks, even though it tastes great. Never touch the stuff.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:02 AM   #91
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I am a HUGE apple cider whore. On the East Coast fresh apple cider is available for a much longer amount of time during the year (and is generally much more available) than in California. But Safeway carries fresh Ziegler's cider from about Thanksgiving through January and I drink it constantly during that time. I need to go get another few gallons before they yank it from the shelves...

I don't think I've had Martinelli's cider (we used to have the apple juice in the fridge all the time at my old job though. It was all the CTO would drink.) I'll have to try it when the Ziegler's goes away again.

-emily
I think someone I knew once wrote a letter to Martinelli's asking the difference between their apple juice and their apple cider. A representative wrote back saying that their apple juice is actually a cider, but for regional marketing reasons they label it as "juice" in some areas. They are the same product. I'm pretty sure it was Martinelli's, anyway. Also, whatever it is, it's friggin great.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-25-2005, 07:49 AM   #92
fov
Rattenmonster

I actually don't like pulp. But Fresh Samantha's wasn't pulpy. It was thick, but didn't have little pieces of orange floating around in it. (I also don't like oranges... that white pithy stuff eeks me out...)

I will definitely check out the Martinellis. Interesting about the cider / juice thing. I *don't* like apple juice but do like apple cider (go figure).

-emily
Old 01-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #93
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I actually don't like pulp. But Fresh Samantha's wasn't pulpy. It was thick, but didn't have little pieces of orange floating around in it. (I also don't like oranges... that white pithy stuff eeks me out...)
Try the satsuma mandarins they sell at Trader Joe's and occasionally Safeway. They're really good, with none of the white crud. Also they peel easily.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:43 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

I will definitely check out the Martinellis. Interesting about the cider / juice thing. I *don't* like apple juice but do like apple cider (go figure).

-emily
Emily, if you like apple cider you should visit my parent's neighborhood. They live in the Poconos (northeastern PA) and you can easily find farmers markets there where Amish from Pennsylvania Dutch country bring and sell home-made apple ciders in Fall and Winter. You haven't had apple cider unless you have tried some of those. They also bring home-made apple butter and banana nut bread which together are just heavenly.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #95
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Emily, if you like apple cider you should visit my parent's neighborhood. They live in the Poconos (northeastern PA) and you can easily find farmers markets there where Amish from Pennsylvania Dutch country bring and sell home-made apple ciders in Fall and Winter. You haven't had apple cider unless you have tried some of those. They also bring home-made apple butter and banana nut bread which together are just heavenly.
It's extremely easy to make your own apple butter, actually. You just need apples, sugar, cinnamon, a small pinch of cloves, and a slow cooker

If anyone wants, I can actually post the recipe.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
It's extremely easy to make your own apple butter, actually. You just need apples, sugar, cinnamon, a small pinch of cloves, and a slow cooker

If anyone wants, I can actually post the recipe.
Bring it on, Doug, although I do face the risk of setting my place on fire whenever I make an attempt at cooking.

What's a slow cooker? Is it like a crockpot?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:11 AM   #97
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Amazing, we started with a discussion about cheese, and now it has mutated to become a discussion on the nature of fruit juices and pulp.

Where will it end up? How good potatoes taste when mixed with cucumber salad and melted butter?

The sky's the limit, I say, the sky's the limit!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:20 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Amazing, we started with a discussion about cheese, and now it has mutated to become a discussion on the nature of fruit juices and pulp.

Where will it end up? How good potatoes taste when mixed with cucumber salad and melted butter?

The sky's the limit, I say, the sky's the limit!

-
Ahm, Jazy, why would you want to mix potatoes with cucumber salad? That is sacrilegious and here I thought you were a gourmet.

Jazy

How dissapointing!

Old 01-25-2005, 09:34 AM   #99
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
Ahm, Jazy, why would you want to mix potatoes with cucumber salad? That is sacrilegious and here I thought you were a gourmet.

Jazy

How dissapointing!

Actually it is just the juice of the cucumber salad.

And only if it is the cucumber salad that my father makes (he uses Créme Fraîche/Sour Cream)

I eat the Cucumbers separately

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #100
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
And only if it is the cucumber salad that my father makes (he uses Créme Fraîche/Sour Cream)
!!!!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien