You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The [art of] flirting thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
merely human

Default The [art of] flirting thread

Model Lisa Taylor in her Calvin Klein dress
'cruising' a man. Photographer: Helmut Newton, 1970s

Quote:
Main Entry: flirt
Pronunciation: 'fl&rt
Function: verb
Etymology: origin unknown
transitive senses
1 : FLICK
2 : to move in a jerky manner
intransitive senses
1 : to move erratically : FLIT
2 a : to behave amorously without serious intent b : to show superficial or casual interest or liking <flirted with the idea>; also : EXPERIMENT <a novelist flirting with poetry>
3 : to come close to -- used with with <the temperature flirted with 100°>
- from Merriam-Webster online dictionary

Don't be surprised that I've finally made this thread. You must now share, your ideas about flirting, stories involving flirting with someone or being flirted with, your own techniques on it, the best flirt lines, the worst, body language, eye contact, advice on how to, what is flirting to you, anything.....because, admit it, you love it. And yes, by all means, flirt in this thread. But no nasty language or gross pics, okay? That is not flirting, that's being smutty.

< sensually strokes the mouse button with his finger before clicking it to send and..... >
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-21-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
Doctor Watson

Quote:
2 : to move in a jerky manner
At the age of 16, I fell down the stairs of a bus. Does that count? I think my spine was hurt.

*reads the thread title*

Oh. *goes away*
Old 01-21-2005, 04:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Model Lisa Taylor in her Calvin Klein dress
'cruising' a man. Photographer: Helmut Newton, 1970s
That pose doesn't look too attractive. It looks more like a man's way of sitting.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
merely human

Doesn't it? It's her way of saying, "Fvck you, man. I can check your hot ass out just like you men keep checking our asses out. Deal with it. I want you."

I love it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-21-2005, 05:21 PM   #5

I don't really flirt a whole lot but my opening line consist of something along the lines of "Hey! I'm sort of Swedish too..." (paraphrased in a slightly more elegant fashion)

Obviously this only works if the girl is Swedish, and you're not actually in Sweden at the time.

Although to be honest, I'm not so much flirting as just making conversation.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
I don't really flirt a whole lot but my opening line consist of something along the lines of "Hey! I'm sort of Swedish too..." (paraphrased in a slightly more elegant fashion)

Obviously this only works if the girl is Swedish, and you're not actually in Sweden at the time.

Although to be honest, I'm not so much flirting as just making

conversation.
Hey, that's really interesting 'cos my usual line to foreign girls is "Hey babe, I'm English 8-) 8-)
....don't know why but it never works
Don't know where I'm going wrong???
Old 01-21-2005, 05:30 PM   #7
Doctor Watson

"No sex, please, we're British?"
Old 01-21-2005, 05:33 PM   #8

Maybe it's cause anyone could pretend to be English.

I mean, having grown up watching loads of Hollywood... when I came here I would've passed for an American easy. I basically just absorb accents. Now, having lived in Boro for almost three years I suspect if I went to the US now they would think I was a Brit. Hell, you guys think I'm British and you've just seen me typing!

I could probably be either if I tried.

But the problem with accents is not so much getting it right, but keeping it consistent.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:37 PM   #9

That said, I wouldn't just go up to a random foreign person and say "Hey, I'm Swedish"... more like if I noticed a girl speaking Swedish, I'd basically just start a conversation in said language.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Doesn't it? It's her way of saying, "Fvck you, man. I can check your hot ass out just like you men keep checking our asses out. Deal with it. I want you."

I love it.
I don't have any problem with girls checking out my ass.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:51 PM   #11
Doctor Watson

Hey, but we can talk about the bad stuff, too? Right on, then!

I don't remember how old I was, perhaps fifteen? I remember it was a cold winter evening, I was in the bus home. My brother and a female friend of his were there, too - she was writing text messages on her cell phone. My brother said: "Hey, bro look here."

I looked, wondering what on earth that was about. The girl stared at me for a while and then resumed text messaging. WTF, I thought. I was later on explained that she was looking for boyfriend candidates for her sister.

The next day the phone rang.
-Wormsie.
-Hiiiii, I'm Whatshername, I was supposed to caaaalll youuuuu.
-Uhhuh.
-*giggle* So how aaaaaarrrre yoooooo?
-Fine.
-Hey, you said you were just supposed to call me, right? You did.
-Yeah. Bye.
Then she hung up.

It could have been a lot worse.

Last edited by deadworm222; 01-21-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #12
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw
I don't have any problem with girls checking out my ass.
Good. And be verrrrry flattered. Girls can have ridiculously high standards, you know.

Some advice for you straight guys. Let the girl think she's got the upper hand. Smiling, then looking away shyly, works wonders. Girls get turned off if you practically intrude yourself on them. Saying something like, "I'm really bad at this but, I just wanted to let you know that you made me smile. Somehow." works very nicely.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #13
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
"No sex, please, we're British?"
I think this post should be - "sex please! we're British!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Some advice for you straight guys. Let the girl think she's got the upper hand. Smiling, then looking away shyly, works wonders. Girls get turned off if you practically intrude yourself on them. Saying something like, "I'm really bad at this but, I just wanted to let you know that you made me smile. Somehow." works very nicely.
Hmm, interesting. I guess that makes things easier for me. I was thinking doing something like that would make you look shy, thus uninteresting to the girl. Like you're not man enough for her or something.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:05 PM   #15
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw
Hmm, interesting. I guess that makes things easier for me. I was thinking doing something like that would make you look shy, thus uninteresting to the girl. Like you're not man enough for her or something.
Nope. The opposite is true. Girls love a bit of 'vulnerability' in their men, especially if you look really cute or have a certain style about you. And you can always 'prove' your manliness to her later..........if she lets you.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #16
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

What Trep says is true. If you come on too strong, she might feel threatened. Come on sweet and shy, even a tad bumbling, and you'll win a lot more.

FGM
Old 01-21-2005, 06:46 PM   #17

Once my housemate's sister and girlfriend were staying over for a week and I talked to them quite a bit. One morning they go "Christiaan!" as I walk through the hallway, so I go over to my housemate's room and the two of them are lying in the guy's bed (presumably with pyjamas on or something). So we talk a bit and then the girlfriend says: "Wanna get in?"

Now, the guy is actually sitting in the room... on the bed.

I kind of just stand there... "You mean, like, in the bed?"

There is a short silence.

... and then the guy goes, "Look he doesn't want to, leave him alone."

We talked some more, but er, well, that was weird.

I must admit I did actually kind of like his sister, but oh well...
Old 01-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #18
Doctor Watson

Oh my god! That story is just awesome! LOL!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #19
merely human

Ninsie's totally vanilla, folks.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:57 PM   #20
Doctor Watson

How come things like that never happen in my life?!

Huh.