You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat I finally came out to my brother :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2004, 05:09 PM   #1
Doctor Watson

Default I finally came out to my brother :)

Whee!

He took it OK. No death threats, nothing bad at all - we both laughed at the absurdity of the situation, in fact. The only thing I found odd was that he told me that he had had absolutely no idea that I'm gay. :eek: I knew I was acting straight but that straight?

Anyone wanting more details or anything else at all, PM me. If you happen to like chocolate you will LOVE the story - I assure you.

At least Trep liked it...

Now that I have started talking about this again, there's some people at AG I really want to thank, too - some for obvious reasons, and some of you probably won't even understand why I thanked you. I have probably forgotten some people, but everyone I can remember here receives a BIG huggie from yours truly (whether they wanted to or not ... or indeed, whether or not they even read this):

jaf
Trep
myhrik (aka Freddie Melon)
Swordmaster
Tamara
emma
...everybody else who's been supportive, or funny, or has had a positive attitude during the years (this covers basically everyone), whether or not they have been aware of it
, and who I for some reason or other don't want to mention or who I for some reason or other don't remember. All of you mean a lot to me, and I want to have a cup of tea with you some day, or something similar. You got the picture.

Altough I know that I still have a lot of things to work on, this is a major step forwards. I've been under a lot of anxiety, and ultimately it feels incredibly relieving that I finally did this. Coming out of the closet wasn't horrible at all. This time.

A NOTE FOR OUR NEWBIES: For those who are not in the know: Adventure Gamers is also known as Adventure Gaymers. A few years ago a coming out -message a day was pretty ordinary, as were dirty minds...
Old 11-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #2
23 Railway Cuttings

And relax...

So you didn't trust your brother to react positively ?
Ye of little faith.

Well, congratulations anyway - now you've only got to tell the parents, right ?

...and your aunties, uncles, grandparents, cousins, nieces, nephews...
Old 11-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
merely human

...and now that we got that out of the way....

....I want you, wormsie. I want you baaaaaad.

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-13-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
And relax...

So you didn't trust your brother to react positively ?
Ye of little faith.
Yes, I did expect him not to react negatively. But you just don't get it... this is HUGE. Telling someone about being gay for the first times is not easy, and I did it, and it was OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
Well, congratulations anyway - now you've only got to tell the parents, right ?

...and your aunties, uncles, grandparents, cousins, nieces, nephews...
Ummm, no... My grandparents are dead and I have never met my cousins. Or nieces. Or aunts*. And I don't have nephews. Parents, yes, but... I want to save their mental health for a while.

But thanks anyway

*Maybe I have, but I can't remember them. That's exactly how much I'm in touch with my more distant relatives.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

...and now that we got that out of the way....

....I want you, wormsie. I want you baaaaaad.

I can't get over the awesomeness of that photo Or your awesomeness, love!
Old 11-13-2004, 05:28 PM   #6
merely human

He's right, tim. In some ways coming out is different from overcoming other awesome obstacle courses*. It's not like you tell people you have cancer and they immediately give you love and sympathy. This sets a painful new adjustment to the rest of the your life, and creates even more questions and awkward moments when you wonder if new people will accept you. I cried all night before I told my sister years ago. It was practically the most agonizing day of my life, I had no one there for me who could understand and I had to take that plunge.

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-13-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
I can't get over the awesomeness of that photo Or your awesomeness, love!
Hey guys get a room

Congrats wormsie. Glad you are free and that your brother took it well

Firefox rules
Old 11-13-2004, 06:16 PM   #8
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Hey guys get a room
LOL! Are you quoting from KoTOR?! I loved that moment on that unnamed planet with Carth. It rocked. KoTOR rocks!

Quote:
Congrats wormsie. Glad you are free and that your brother took it well
Not only that, but I told wormsie that - and this is true - pretty girls (and most girls, really) love having gay guys as good friends, so wormsie's straight brother had better be nice to him.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:32 PM   #9
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

ahem.

Old 11-13-2004, 06:39 PM   #10
23 Railway Cuttings

Sorry - my somewhat dry humour took over there... :eek:

I can't honestly picture what it would be like to admit this kind of thing (being straight as I am) but I am quite sure it is pretty difficult. It is perhaps a sad endictment of our society that it IS this difficult. On the positive side, the more gay people that make the statement, the more acceptable it will become - I suppose people are often afraid of the unknown...
Old 11-13-2004, 07:32 PM   #11
merely human

It's ironic, really. Today it's easier with us, even fashionable and now more acceptable in the mainstream, with t.v. shows like Will & Grace and Queer Eye, and many celebrities (like Ellen DeGeneris and some sports athletes). But on many levels it's still very difficult, especially coming out to your family, whom you've known all your life and often they have no clue or don't want to deal with it. It's even more hard if you live in a rural area where people tend to be less tolerant and ignorant. Acceptability is spreading, though. And I thank everyone here for being so cool about it, and laid back.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:13 PM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Good for you. Go have a margarita; you deserve it. (That champagne looks kind of nummy, too...)

I've had a few people come out to me in a "formal" sense... each time it's been like "oh, okay, so what?" (Maybe I didn't take it seriously enough, but that really was how I reacted!) But I can appreciate the massiveness of taking that step... no matter how well you know someone, you never know how they're going to react. And it must feel great to have taken that step.

Quote:
pretty girls (and most girls, really) love having gay guys as good friends
I'll vouch for this (being a pretty girl and all... *ahem*)

-emily
Old 11-13-2004, 08:41 PM   #13
rio
Custom User Title

Congratulations, thats gotta be really tough and you're brave for doing it.

Jake, that picture rules.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:59 AM   #14
Doctor Watson

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by deadworm222; 11-14-2004 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:34 AM   #15
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Good for you. Go have a margarita; you deserve it. (That champagne looks kind of nummy, too...)

I've had a few people come out to me in a "formal" sense... each time it's been like "oh, okay, so what?" (Maybe I didn't take it seriously enough, but that really was how I reacted!) But I can appreciate the massiveness of taking that step... no matter how well you know someone, you never know how they're going to react. And it must feel great to have taken that step.
Saying "I am gay" - in Finnish - felt completely surreal. I couldn't believe what I had just done... And it does feel great. It didn't feel great immediately, but now it does. Even though he would feel slightly awkward about it, it's still good for me, because I really do feel like I don't have to be so stressed all the time.

Last edited by deadworm222; 11-14-2004 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:54 AM   #16

Have some tea right now...

Old 11-14-2004, 03:19 AM   #17
Doctor Watson

Thank you *takes the cup*

You know, I haven't had breakfast yet...

Last edited by deadworm222; 11-14-2004 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:03 AM   #18
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Congratulations...
I remember when my best friend told me he was gay...
He was afraid I was a gaybasher, so he didn't want to tell me at first...
"Nah, I'm just grumpy and stubborn sometimes...", I said...
I'm surprised at how well I took it myself...
When yet another friend of mine told me he was gay, it didn't even faze me...

Either I'm pretty open minded, ot I just don't give a D...
Old 11-14-2004, 08:36 AM   #19
Doctor Watson

You mean: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Old 11-14-2004, 09:18 AM   #20
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
You mean: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
His name isn't Frank, and I don't have a dam!