You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Indiana Jones Trilogy

View Poll Results: What's your favourite Indy movie?
Raiders of the Lost Ark 29 47.54%
Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom 7 11.48%
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 25 40.98%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2004, 06:05 AM   #41
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

I don't know if I'd say Raiders has the best pacing. I thought it really slowed down around the part on the submarine. It's been a while since I've seen Last Crusade, though. I'll have to watch it again for comparison.

mag
Old 05-04-2004, 01:50 PM   #42

I thought that monkey in Raiders of the Lost Ark was funny though. Too bad it died.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:32 AM   #43
Life and times of...

Aaargh! I don't remember anything about the movies (I've seen them all though), but the facts, that Temple of Doom was definately the worst (I remember that one the best), the ending of one
Spoiler:
Where they throw sand on a bridge that is painted to look invisible, then they pass it and there's the knight protecting the collection of cups, of wich one is the Holy Grail and so on...
, the soldiers waving the swords then Indy shoots the soldiers, and Sean Connery in the Last Crusade and some burning of books and escaping on motorcycles and I also remember zeppelin... Hey it's all coming back to me!!!!!... though in non-relative pieces...

That's about it, so I really can't choose one...
Old 05-08-2004, 10:20 AM   #44

Temple of Doom is my favorite Indiana Jones movie.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:13 PM   #45
No justice. Only me.

Figures that out of all of the Jones girls that they could use for the fourth one that's in production, they're rumored to be bringing back Kate Capshaw. I ask you, why?

Oh, and Last Crusade is best, definitely. I love the fact that Indiana Jones was created intentionally as a James-Bond-type character. So in essence, James Bond is Indy's metaphorical father. And then who do they cast as Indy's literal father? James Bond!

And so the circle is complete.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:21 PM   #46

Anyone ever watch that Young Indiana Jones TV series? There's a telemovie on in the background and it sounds pretty crappy. I haven't really seen any of it. I remember it was on TV a while ago, but I don't think I actually watched it. What did you think of the series?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:06 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabin
Neither! Boo any Indy love-interest that isn't Karen Allen! Unless perhaps she's Jennifer Connelly, but only because Jennifer Connelly is the hottest woman alive!
You must like my avatar, then. Unless you didn't recognise her, that is...

EDIT: Oh, and Raiders is the best by a huge margin, no question about it .
And I'm not sure whether I like Temple of Doom or the Last Crusade better. They're just so different.
Those were the days, when Harrison Ford was still an actor...
Old 10-12-2004, 08:54 AM   #48

Send a message via AIM to Sirus

Raiders. With Crusade in second.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:53 AM   #49
Evil Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
That's Jennifer connelly?? I thought it was you drunk and vomiting on a saturday night

Anyway I voted Temple of Doom, many good memories of that one. And I have to confess that I fell asleep the first time I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark...
So there you go
Old 10-13-2004, 01:30 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
That's Jennifer connelly?? I thought it was you drunk and vomiting on a saturday night
Words fail me.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:42 AM   #51

Send a message via AIM to edlglide

I voted for Last Crusade; I absolutely love that movie. But it's really pretty close between it and Raiders, and Temple of Doom isn't far behind -- I always thought of Temple of Doom as being far behind the other two and I never watched it.........but once I bought the DVD trilogy and watched it for the first time in a long while, my opinion on it changed. But Short Round and especially Kate Capshaw make it rather annoying.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:05 AM   #52
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth

Really, I thought it was a nebula or something.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:19 AM   #53
Epinionated.

Resurrection. By a scotsman, no less.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:20 AM   #54
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

It had already been resurrected before Lucien posted. Someone must have replied to the poll ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:03 AM   #55
Just charging up

My favourite would be "Fate of Atlantis", oh wait that wasn't a movie was it then my vote goes to "Raiders".

Spoiler:
I'm still fearing a possible fouth movie, I mean that can't be a good thing now can it? Leave the legacy well alone I say...
Old 10-27-2005, 10:28 AM   #56
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I actually just saw these movies for the first time on DVD a few days ago. The first is by far the best. The only adventure movie I've ever seen which is as much fun from start to finish as Raiders is Sky Captain. The action is exhilarating, the characters are instantly lovable, the gags are good, and most importantly there's never a dull moment.

The other two are another story. First of all, I don't like his portrayal as a guy who gets a new girlfriend in each movie and dumps her immediately afterward. It's too James Bond-ish, and doesn't suit an intelligent academic like Indy.

I had fun watching Temple of Doom, but I wouldn't care to watch it ever again. All that voodoo and black magic takes up time that would be better spent watching Indy make it through great perils. It's really not entertaining. The sidekicks were just flat-out bad ideas. The whining singer is even less entertaining than Dale Arden. Short Round is a mismatch when put next to Indy, and it ruins Indy's character to be running around with him. He was clearly put there for just two reasons: shameless market-pleasing, and to give Indy someone to talk to. Another major problem is the lengths to which it will go to creep you out for no better reason than for the sake of creeping you out, which may have been fun for Spielberg and co., but isn't very entertaining for the viewer. Despite all this, I did enjoy it for its action scenes.

The Last Crusade is wildly inconsistent. Some scenes are truly brilliant (tied to a chair with the room on fire), but many others leave no impression at all. There are long sections where you're just waiting for something good to happen. There is very little of value in the entire portion of the movie between Indy's exit of the university in the beginning and Sean Connery's entrance in the middle. That's a long bit of film there, involving too few action sequences with not much bite. Regardless, the interactions between the Joneses more than make the movie worth watching. There are some excellent gags, and some groaners. It's much more of a comedy -and less of an adventure- than the previous two, so the humor probably should have been more consistent. The ending doesn't pay off as either type of movie- it's neither exciting nor funny. So I finished watching the movie feeling somewhat unsatisfied. Regardless, it is an excellent movie. The action is very good later on, and the acting alone makes this a must-see. But it still doesn't come close to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I'm really looking forward to Indy IV- the series needs a grand finale.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #57
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
I don't like his portrayal as a guy who gets a new girlfriend in each movie and dumps her immediately afterward. It's too James Bond-ish, and doesn't suit an intelligent academic like Indy.
You are totally missing his character then. His classes are so popular with the ladies because he's an unconventional rogue who makes history and archaeology even more interesting due to his charisma and passion for the subject matter. He's not a traditional academic who breaks out the whip like superman takes off his pressed white shirt, just the opposite. He's a blatant rogue who, not able/willing to make a living from tomb raiding, makes a living teaching. Its something he doesn't really enjoy. He's always portrayed as not ready to settle down because he hasn't really 'grown up'. This is my major gripe with them sticking with Ford for any future Indiana Jones movies. As iconic as he is, he's just too old for the role unless they age the character to suit him, which would strip him of a lot of charm in my eyes.

More on topic:
I love Raiders for the pacing also. I would place Temple second, but only because I love certain scenes from it (such as the over the top caberet opening right up to the plane ride) but the story was utter rubish. As interesting as finding the holy grail might be, it was handled far too trivially in Crusade to the point that it really did seem like a Walt Disney production.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:13 PM   #58
Live Slow Die Old

Raiders. It's a classic. I'm not sure what people have against Temple of Doom though - it was full of cool stuff like monkey brains and screaming women.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:34 PM   #59
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I vote for Raiders, I actually rewatched it last week..
Old 10-28-2005, 08:08 AM   #60
Fulci lives

Today on tv they showed a really funny episode of South Park where they parodied Raiders of the Lost Ark.
George Lucas manages to trick Spielberg into making a special edition of Raiders of the Lost Ark(just like Lucas did with Star Wars) and put in Ewoks in the film with the use of cgi.

The episode ends with the ark opening and, just like in the film, Spielbergs and Lucas´ faces melting and exploding.

Bloody funny stuff!
Hopefully Spielberg never starts tampering with the Indiana Jones films, that would ruin them, George Lucas already proved that with his Star Wars special editions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Figures that out of all of the Jones girls that they could use for the fourth one that's in production, they're rumored to be bringing back Kate Capshaw. I ask you, why?
Because she´s Spielbergs wife?