View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #57
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
I don't like his portrayal as a guy who gets a new girlfriend in each movie and dumps her immediately afterward. It's too James Bond-ish, and doesn't suit an intelligent academic like Indy.
You are totally missing his character then. His classes are so popular with the ladies because he's an unconventional rogue who makes history and archaeology even more interesting due to his charisma and passion for the subject matter. He's not a traditional academic who breaks out the whip like superman takes off his pressed white shirt, just the opposite. He's a blatant rogue who, not able/willing to make a living from tomb raiding, makes a living teaching. Its something he doesn't really enjoy. He's always portrayed as not ready to settle down because he hasn't really 'grown up'. This is my major gripe with them sticking with Ford for any future Indiana Jones movies. As iconic as he is, he's just too old for the role unless they age the character to suit him, which would strip him of a lot of charm in my eyes.

More on topic:
I love Raiders for the pacing also. I would place Temple second, but only because I love certain scenes from it (such as the over the top caberet opening right up to the plane ride) but the story was utter rubish. As interesting as finding the holy grail might be, it was handled far too trivially in Crusade to the point that it really did seem like a Walt Disney production.