You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Doughnut or Donut?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 01:11 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Creative Send a message via MSN to Creative
Default Doughnut or Donut?

In the dictionary:

Doughnuts is the british version.

Donuts is the English version. (Possibly Americanized by Dunkin' Donuts)

My question is... How do you spell it?

My friends and I got into an outrageous arguement regarding this.... It almost broke into a fist fight.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:22 PM   #2

We've got Donut King in Australia. I don't really care. I think both are decent.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:31 PM   #3
merely human

Does it truly ultimately matter?

BTW, I often play Soldier of Fortune II deathmatch. My player name is Krispy Krotch.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-30-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative
In the dictionary:

Doughnuts is the british version.

Donuts is the English version. (Possibly Americanized by Dunkin' Donuts)
The correct spelling is "Doughnut".
Old 03-30-2004, 02:11 PM   #5
merely human

The correct spelling is also 'donut':

do·nut
Pronunciation: 'dO-(")n&t
variant of DOUGHNUT

Merriam-Webster online dictionary
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-30-2004, 02:18 PM   #6
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

If I recall the etymology correctly, it was originally properly spelled "doughnut." It was later shrunk down to "donut" by donut companies to make it look nicer. I mean, Dunkin Doughnuts? Yuck.

So, "donut" caught on, and it's become so popular that it's now considered a word itself. The two are pretty much interchangable, although "doughnut" still carries with it that air of propriety whereas "donut" is more of a pop marketing term. I personally use "donut."

mag
Old 03-30-2004, 02:20 PM   #7
n00b on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
BTW, I often play Soldier of Fortune II deathmatch. My player name is Krispy Krotch.
Lol! That is all I hgave to say, I am dyslexic so donut or doughnut is all the same for me.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:21 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Ugh, forever!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #9
Iconoclast

Quote:
The correct spelling is also 'donut':

do·nut
Pronunciation: 'dO-(")n&t
variant of DOUGHNUT

Merriam-Webster online dictionary
Obviously, since he used a dictionary himself before posting his question, he was looking for the more historically correct answer. He already knows that donut is a variation.

A dictionary that is only a few decades old however, won't even have the word "donut" in it. It is a recent bastardization of the word "doughnut".

The word donut is just another example of the ignorant masses corrupting language. At least it takes less time to type though...

There are much worse words that have been created though. Nonsense words like "homophobia" are even more ignorant.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:44 PM   #10
n00b on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
There are much worse words that have been created though. Nonsense words like "homophobia" are even more ignorant.
I am afriad of identical things, I run and hide whenever two fo the same cross my path, lol
Old 03-30-2004, 02:50 PM   #11
merely human

Quote:
The word donut is just another example of the ignorant masses corrupting language. At least it takes less time to type though...

I was merely pointing out technicalities, in this case the legitimacy of both spellings of the word, ignorant masses or not. Meh, I have a college degree and consider myself well versed, articulate, and cultured. Either spelling is fine with me, I would never consider anyone ignorant or less intelligent for preferring one spelling over another.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:51 PM   #12
Liver of Life

Personally, I've never spelt this word. I've only said it and said it a lot.

Mmmm...

If I had to though, I think gut feeling would tell me it was "donut." Although it's just one of those words that I see a lot of "doughnut" in too. I don't care, really. As long as they taste goood.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:53 PM   #13
merely human

I honestly haven't had the pleasure of an exceptionally good donut/doughnut yet. I think most of them out there are pure garbage.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:23 PM   #14
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

doughnuts. and they are well tasty.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 03-30-2004, 03:29 PM   #15
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Obviously, since he used a dictionary himself before posting his question, he was looking for the more historically correct answer. He already knows that donut is a variation.

A dictionary that is only a few decades old however, won't even have the word "donut" in it. It is a recent bastardization of the word "doughnut".

Just so you're aware, language (including spelling) changes and expands over time.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-30-2004, 03:53 PM   #16
merely human

LOL, I was actually gonna annex that fact in my post, mixie-mooxie. As with anything, language is subject to its natural evolutionary and revolutionary quirks. And yes, it's open to malleability by any and all external forces - scientific, political, academic, artistic, cultural, etc. And yes, even pop cultural. Especially pop cultural forces. I'm all for the masses, ignorant and otherwise, to poke around with language and words!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:33 PM   #17
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid
I would never consider anyone ignorant or less intelligent for preferring one spelling over another.
I never said anything about intelligence. You have inferred something from my statement that was never there. The word ignorant does not necessarily refer to a lack of intelligence, but almost always to just a lack of erudition. I have to wonder why you so often interpret words in such a pejorative fashion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
Just so you're aware, language (including spelling) changes and expands over time.
WOW! What a bombshell! I never would have guessed! Was this just announced on CNN???

The complete and utter failure of your point is that the existence of something does not in any way justify itself.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:36 PM   #18
Iconoclast

Quote:
I'm all for the masses, ignorant and otherwise, to poke around with language and words!
I don't even want to know how you could justify a comment like this...
Old 03-30-2004, 04:44 PM   #19
merely human

Um, I'm an elitist* democrat?

*That is, elitist according to Philippe de Montebello's idea.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:57 PM   #20
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
WOW! What a bombshell! I never would have guessed! Was this just announced on CNN???

The complete and utter failure of your point is that the existence of something does not in any way justify itself.
I can't acknowledge your post because I don't accept your ignorant use of the slang term "bombshell." Please, revise your message to be a little more self-righteously intellectual and then we'll talk.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright