You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Doughnut or Donut?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2004, 04:59 PM   #21
merely human

Pay no mind, remixor. Pay no mind.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-30-2004, 05:12 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Creative Send a message via MSN to Creative

This topic broke out just how the arguement broke out with my friends recently regarding donuts/doughnuts. Everyone has their way of spelling. But the point of this topic is that it is frustrating -- we all have our own opinions and worlds we live in. This is an example of it.

There is no winner in this: They come out even. Simple fact: Doughnut is the old age version (British), and the new age is Donut (English). If any of you consider this to be wrong and improper or inferior -- You are extremely wrong. I'm sure you spell Color with a 'u' (colour), as such. Things change.

And forgive me if I am rude, but Bastich, I'd perfer if you weren't so rude yourself. No one was really being rude to you. And if you weren't trying to be rude -- watch how you are saying things. Forgive me.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:17 PM   #23
merely human

Hmmm. As I had stated, that one spelling possibly having a plebeian origin versus the other spelling having another origin is not the point. The point is that both spellings are equally viable, equally legitimate.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-30-2004, 05:27 PM   #24
Hopeful skeptic

Virtually every word in the English language is already a bastardized variation of other words, both from other languages and previous incarnations of itself. Our entire language has been formed and revised and adapted to suit some cultural influence or another. It's purely arbitrary to say the line must be drawn here, when such restrictions have never been in place before.

As for do(ugh)nuts, either way is fine for me.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:48 PM   #25
n00b on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
I never said anything about intelligence. You have inferred something from my statement that was never there. The word ignorant does not necessarily refer to a lack of intelligence, but almost always to just a lack of erudition. I have to wonder why you so often interpret words in such a pejorative fashion...

WOW! What a bombshell! I never would have guessed! Was this just announced on CNN???

The complete and utter failure of your point is that the existence of something does not in any way justify itself.
I do hope yuoa re aware that you come off as pompous as a Greek military parade*, I mean you otherwise suond like a clever feller, but boy, full of air

*)
Old 03-30-2004, 05:56 PM   #26
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
I can't acknowledge your post because I don't accept your ignorant use of the slang term "bombshell." Please, revise your message to be a little more self-righteously intellectual and then we'll talk.
Somebody needs a lesson in the difference between slang and metaphor. Welcome back BTW. I see you missed me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger rex
I do hope yuoa re aware that you come off as pompous as a Greek military parade.
LOL! Since you are new, you don't know the routine. As soon as remixor enters into a conversation I am in, this is what happens. We never stop professing our undying love for each other. It gets pretty steamy sometimes. The only reason you haven't noticed is because he hasn't been around lately, so things have been rather quiet.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:18 PM   #27
Liver of Life

This thread is cooleth. Wouldst thou join me for a spot of tea? Mortimer is in the kitchen with the kettle. He would be pleased if thine presence be made.

Old 03-30-2004, 06:39 PM   #28
n00b on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastich
LOL! Since you are new, you don't know the routine. As soon as remixor enters into a conversation I am in, this is what happens. We never stop professing our undying love for each other. It gets pretty steamy sometimes. The only reason you haven't noticed is because he hasn't been around lately, so things have been rather quiet.
Regardless, you seem to like old moveis and I know one you should see.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:02 PM   #29
Citizen of Bizarro World

What's the correct spelling krispy kreme, or crispy creme? By nature of the spelling "doughnuts" being associated with the incorrect "K"iffied spelling of the first two words, I would consider it false as well. I myself prefer "donut" as it more vividly portrays the softness and scrumptiousness of the do.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-31-2004, 01:26 AM   #30
Doctor Watson

Donitsi.

I like writing words that have a weird spelling, like doughnut. It's the ghn -part that is funny. Whahahahaa!
Old 03-31-2004, 04:24 AM   #31

*passes doughnuts to all, gives the poisoned doughnut to Trep*

Old 03-31-2004, 08:05 AM   #32
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Word usage is also regulated by the gov't. For instance "creme" must be used instead of "cream", unless real dairy cream is actually a part of the ingredients. Though it is a French name for cream, in English, it is a recognizable homophone used as a substitution. Krispy Kreme has bastardized it one step further.

Trep - I'll bet you never had homemade doughnuts? They are wonderful, crispy, and you tend to eat too many, so you get a bellyache. Dunkin' Donuts are awful, and Krispy Kremes are only a bit better. I don't make them very often, but next time I do, I'll Fed-Ex some to you.

When I was growing up the discussion was over the spelling of ketchup vs catsup. Some brands used one, some used the other. Ketchup has won over time, probably because that's the way we say it. Lite and light is another one from the food industry. There are regulations about how many fewer calories something must have before being called light, so lite is used instead, and has no official meaning.

FGM
Old 03-31-2004, 08:19 AM   #33
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

You all remind me about article about chips. Also chips and chips have same spelling.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:28 AM   #34
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

such acceptance of the (d)evolution of language has result in the decline of the written word, correspondence excepting for formal or business interests - public interest in drama or literature, not to mention the rise and advent of "teen movies" "L33t speak" and txt msgs, and other such assaults on the English language. If this is evolution, surely the ultimate goal is to be able to communicate in colloquial grunts? Incidently, on this side of the Atlantic we spell colour with a u, defence with a c, et cetera. This is not "wrong", as, by syllogism if sufficient numbers do it, it is correct.

Incidently, Scottish band "Idlewild" released an album "American English" in 2002. The existance of such a tongue is surely indication enough of how evolutionary strands are suggestive that neither are wrong, though obviously diverse. The greater history of the English language and literature over here would suggest a greater familiarity and sophistication in linguistics and literary technique.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence
Old 03-31-2004, 08:33 AM   #35
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Usually the short words are american form of spelling, while the longer words are british spelling.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:06 AM   #36

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

I think I would write donut, since the chance of writing that wrong is much smaller than doughnut... But, as said many times before, there are way more differences between (British) English and (American) English... Like the Americans write "initialize" the British write it with a "s" instead of with a "z"...

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 03-31-2004, 10:09 AM   #37
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

I'm definately in the Doughnut camp. Lets face it; we want to keep the english language as simple as possible right? Letting words like Donut in is a bad idea because if you try to read it out phonetically you get Do-Nut which sounds nothing like the word it's meant to and will confuse lots of people. So do it for the future generations; reject the donut in favour of the doughnut!

Anyway donut users look crazy -->

Doughnut users look cool --> 8-)

So there, QED etc etc
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 03-31-2004, 10:11 AM   #38

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
Watch out with that pan, will ya!

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 03-31-2004, 10:22 AM   #39
n00b on board

Quote:
I'm definately in the Doughnut camp. Lets face it; we want to keep the english language as simple as possible right? Letting words like Donut in is a bad idea because if you try to read it out phonetically you get Do-Nut which sounds nothing like the word it's meant to and will confuse lots of people. So do it for the future generations; reject the donut in favour of the doughnut!

Doughnut users look cool --> 8-)

So there, QED etc etc
Greenwhich? Glouchester? Simple? What? Phoentic, you say?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:45 PM   #40
merely human

Quote:
I'm definately in the Doughnut camp. Lets face it; we want to keep the english language as simple as possible right?
HA! And just who are you trying to fool?

Is there a PhD level linguist in the house? ( Dammit, I used to date one - guess he's out of range for us now)