You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Youtube is curing my nostalgia

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #21

My childhood obsession was Candy Candy. It was more than twenty years ago when I was religiously watching Candy Candy but I can still hum the opening theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HvlAFydq4E

Since then I've read hundreds of books, watched hundreds of movies, and experienced countless number of stories in various other formats but nothing has moved and entertained me like Candy Candy did back then.

My brother was really into Speed Racer so I became a fan of that show as well. We used to argue all the time which show was better. Ah, memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBR0CRZ6C1A

- Akane, Ranma and Juliet
Old 05-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #22
Creepy Father Figure

Wow at least someone put something in here older than me! I remember coming home from school every day and watching Speed Racer and Ultra Man reruns when I was younger. I always loved the live action Saturday shows like Shazam!, Mighty Isis, and who can forget The Land of the Lost.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #23
Under pressure.

The Finnish Alfred J Kwak songs sound terrible indeed. The original, Dutch, version doesn't feature children singing the songs, but Herman Van Veen (the creator) himself.

As a kid, I didn't really like it either. It depressed me. But when I saw some re-runs when I was 14, I started to appreciate it. I always loved the awesome backgrounds and animation, though. Even when I was a little kid.

--Erwin
Old 05-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #24
Life and times of...

Even though I usually point out the obvious and the same must be true here, one awesome site for nostalgia is Retrojunk .

It's also great for finding some totally awesome shows, like Chuck Norris: Karate Commandos
Old 05-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #25
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie View Post
I always truly loathed it. It caused me a lot of anxiety and the people - or ducks or whatever - were so stupid. And it was so cruel. And it had this awful theme song...

I hated it how the kinds couldn't sing in rhythm (it bothered me less that they couldn't always hit the right notes). And this horrible song I had already forgotten.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K6MqivNjTo

Compare it to this.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #26
The Major Grubert.

You win!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:27 AM   #27
Life and times of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJO3ZNjZKoQ

I like this one (the sound quality isn't too good though).
Old 05-06-2007, 01:54 AM   #28
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post

The German Intro was very similar to the original intro. I think it might actually be the same guy singing it (can somebody check and say if I'm right about this?). The only difference apart from it being German, is that at the "lalalala" part, another voice (a female one) joins in for that part - it sounds very nice.

On a side note, the "Lalalala" part brings my favourite part of the intro, where Alfred is lifted from the Elephant by that long-clawed hand.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-06-2007, 02:13 AM   #29
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm trying to remember how the English version of that went. Unless someone's posted it and I've missed it.

I remember having seen this intro many times before, but can't remember a single episode .

Ah, here we go...

The Dutch version is the best.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:17 AM   #30
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Oh, and the UK outro sounds painfully '80s...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:18 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I'm trying to remember how the English version of that went. Unless someone's posted it and I've missed it.

I remember having seen this intro many times before, but can't remember a single episode .

Ah, here we go...

The Dutch version is the best.

Alfred Johnathan Kwak? What the hell! It's "Jodocus"!

-

Old 05-06-2007, 03:25 AM   #32

Here's the German version. And comparing it to the Dutch version, I get a feeling it really *was* the same people singing it for the Dutch and the German versions. Even the spoken voice of Alfred. He sounded the same even in the show. Compare it, and tell me what you think.

-

Old 05-06-2007, 05:44 AM   #33
Under pressure.

Both the Dutch (original) and the German version are sung by creator Herman van Veen.

Funny how the English lyrics are completely different, by the way. It doesn't even come close to the original text.

--Erwin
Old 05-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #34
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
"Masters Of The Universe"

By the way I read today that Brad Pitt is considered to take the role of He-Man in the planned new live action movie...
Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #35
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
By the way I read today that Brad Pitt is considered to take the role of He-Man in the planned new live action movie...
Yes, I read it to, but nothing is confirmed yet...
Old 05-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #36
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
The German Intro was very similar to the original intro. I think it might actually be the same guy singing it (can somebody check and say if I'm right about this?). The only difference apart from it being German, is that at the "lalalala" part, another voice (a female one) joins in for that part - it sounds very nice.

On a side note, the "Lalalala" part brings my favourite part of the intro, where Alfred is lifted from the Elephant by that long-clawed hand.

-
If I remember correctly the swedish intro was like a mix between the German and the Finnish one. The singer sang similar to Van Veen but the "lalalala" part was performed by a children chorus.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #37
The Major Grubert.

Huckleberry Hound Theme. Oy.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #38
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
Wow at least someone put something in here older than me! I remember coming home from school every day and watching Speed Racer and Ultra Man reruns when I was younger. I always loved the live action Saturday shows like Shazam!, Mighty Isis, and who can forget The Land of the Lost.
I remember the last three of those shows rather well. I was quite into those programs, amongst many others. I was pretty obsessed with Saturday Morning programmes for a handful of years there, obsessively taking them all in. I must have watched everything on Saturday Morning from around 74 to 84. All of it, especially since my sister was growing up in the early 80s.

I was also a fan of after school programming like The Electric Company and The Great Space Coaster. Also got my first taste of Doctor Who while Tom Baker was still the Doctor. A cartoon I really enjoyed watching up here on Canadian television was called The Secret Railroad (Les Voyages de Tortillard). Generally, I liked anything that had a lot of imagination and yet retained a certain element of adventure and coolness to it. I'm not sure what modern kid shows I'd be as happy with, given my tastes.

One show from my early childhood that not a lot of folks remember these days is the Hilarious House of Frightenstein. I must have seen every episode of that. Rocky and Bullwinkle, Dudley Doo Right, and one from the states called Roger Ramjet also come to mind.

However, my main cartoon fix then as now are the classic WB Looney Tunes shorts.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:43 AM   #39
Creepy Father Figure

I wish I could remember the name of 3 live action Saturday live action shows that I just cannot seem to remember the names. One is where they had Frankenstein Monster, Dracula, and the Werewolf as wax figures that came alive and solved mysteries. One was where they had this group of dorky superheroes who sang, almost like a hero version of The Monkeys. And the last was where John Denver and another fellow were accidentally shot into space, sort of a Gilligan's Island meets Lost in Space.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #40

Oh gods! They have the themes for the "Once upon a Time..." series! I loved those. I learned so much from them.

Once upon a time...man

The original french intro is nice too, while a little boring (the original is by Bach) if you know the German one:

Il était une fois ... l'homme (The English intro was the same, apparently. And of course, there's people saying that "Evolution is a lie" on the English version again...gods, people, I don't mind if you don't believe it, just leave us alone with your beliefs, and we will leave you alone too. ).

Es war einmal... das Leben

French:
Il était une fois...la vie

English:
Once upon a time...Life

Once again, I prefer the German version, but the others are nice too (they're pretty similar, actually).

And "Once upon a time...the Americas"

Es war einmal...Amerika

Then french one on youtube sadly is *very* bad quality:

Il Etait Une Fois...Les Amériques

No English version on YouTube, sadly.

Love that intro. Back when I was a kid, I could sing all of them by heart. Still can, actually.

Oh, and someone commented on the German version of the "Amerika" one, that the Incas in the intro seem pretty happy about the Spanish Invaders, because they are smiling. In the actual series it is made clear that the relations between the invaders and the invaded were not always the best, to put it mildly. The series did not paint everything rosy and good. They were pretty well researched, and remained as objective as possible (of course, there's always the possibilty of small prejudices to influence it, but still these series were pretty objective).

As for why they're smiling...I think it's just because a second later they appear fixed on the intro screen. It's like having a photo being taken of you, and being asked to smile.

-

Last edited by Jazhara7; 06-05-2007 at 07:40 AM.