You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Youtube is curing my nostalgia

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 05:10 AM   #1
Headbanger

Default Youtube is curing my nostalgia

I felt I needed to watch some children cartoons I worshiped while I was growing up. To my big suprise you can watch them on youtube.

Alfred J. Kwack is one of the best (if not THE best) cartoon-series I have ever seen. The first six episodes are available at youtube (but only in german).

Watership Down is a true masterpiece (I enjoyed the book too as a kid). The whole movie is available on youtube.

What did you enjoy as a kid?
Old 04-29-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

I enjoyed watching Filmation´s "Masters Of The Universe"

But I too, really liked Alfred J. Kwack..
Old 04-29-2007, 05:20 AM   #3
Headbanger

With "Masters Of The Universe", you mean Heman, right? I liked the comics but never got into the animated series (and don't get me started on Lundgrens movie).
Old 04-29-2007, 05:34 AM   #4
Living with my love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
With "Masters Of The Universe", you mean Heman, right? I liked the comics but never got into the animated series (and don't get me started on Lundgrens movie).
Yepp, I mean He-Man. I loved the show as a kid, but I got to say, seeing it today isn´t the same..And here you can see my Masters Of The Universe collection:
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...t=19563&page=2

I totally agree about Masters Of The Universe: The Movie, wasn´t so good, but back in the days as a kid I enjoyed it...
Old 04-29-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Watership Down is a true masterpiece (I enjoyed the book too as a kid). The whole movie is available on youtube.
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one that got horrible nightmares from this movie. The re-telling of the catastrophe at their old burrow is associated with surreal images that really scared the wits out of me as a kid. I still find them very, very disturbing.

Edit - Found it. Click if you dare.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 04-29-2007, 06:10 AM   #6
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Yepp, I mean He-Man. I loved the show as a kid, but I got to say, seeing it today isn´t the same..And here you can see my Masters Of The Universe collection:
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...t=19563&page=2

I totally agree about Masters Of The Universe: The Movie, wasn´t so good, but back in the days as a kid I enjoyed it...
Wow, you got a lot of He-man action figures. I had like 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one that got horrible nightmares from this movie. The re-telling of the catastrophe at their old burrow is associated with surreal images that really scared the wits out of me as a kid. I still find them very, very disturbing.

That is one of the scenes stuck in my mind as well, I thought it was scary and interesting as a kid though (but then again I'm not very normal when it comes to these things). Another strong scene is when
Spoiler:
you think the older brother has died and the younger one chases the black rabbit through the woods while he sees images of the brothers together. I nearly cried as a kid.
Once again, a VERY good movie.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:21 AM   #7
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic View Post

Not so strange, since Watership Down was never meant for kids.. I wasn't allowed to see it before I got 13 or older (don't remember right now), but I loved it non the less..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 04-29-2007, 06:24 AM   #8
Living with my love

Quote:
Wow, you got a lot of He-man action figures. I had like 7.
I think I had 4 He-Man figures as a child, but now I´m trying to get them all!
Old 04-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Not so strange, since Watership Down was never meant for kids..
Yeah, I know. Retrospectively, I'm almost aghast at how much of an apparent children's movie it was in the eyes of many parents. I could have done without watching that.

Anyway, without further ado, I present to you: The Raccoons.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuser™
Old 04-29-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
capsized.

Quote:
Anyway, without further ado, I present to you: The Raccoons.
OMG I had totally forgotten this. Part of the Bim Bam Bino program wasn't it?

Here's my contribution to this teary thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7MDDcHAm0E
Old 04-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
I actually have no idea. But for some reason, I associate it with Kabel1.

Trademark Overuser™
Old 04-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #12
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I, too, loved the He-Man series. I really have to get the DVDs one day. Watching the episode in which Queen Marlena kicks Skeletor's ass by flying her space ship, and saves the day (which happens to be the only one we seem to have left on tape), over and over again will do only for so long.

Quote:

Quote:
Not so strange, since Watership Down was never meant for kids.. I wasn't allowed to see it before I got 13 or older (don't remember right now), but I loved it non the less..

Oh, that one creeped me out too, so you're not the only one. My parents didn't actually let me watch it (because they knew what it was, and I'm glad they didn't let me watch it), but I caught a glimpse of exactly that scene anyway somehow.

The other movie that my parents definitely didn't let me watch as a kid was "Animal Farm", which actually everyone should know is not a movie for kids. Having read the book is enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post

Here's my contribution to this teary thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7MDDcHAm0E
Quote:
I actually have no idea. But for some reason, I associate it with Kabel1.
Oh, I loved "The Raccoons"! I already showed you this one, pinksie, but for anyone that's interested, here's the UnOfficial Raccoons website, which is a great source of information and files relating to this great series.

And yes, "The Raccoons" was part of the Bim Bam Bino program, on Tele 5 (R.I.P. - Thou wast the greatest channel of them all.), and when Tele 5 ended, Bim Bam Bino was bought and continued on Kabel 1. However, they only took two of the old series they used to show on Bim Bam Bino onto the Kabel 1 version, and "The Raccoons" was not one of them.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
Headbanger

Quote:
Not meant for kids? I fail to see how the book and the movie is made for adults. I think kids should learn about life and death as well.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Er, with all due respect... that seems to me to be a lot more than "learning about life and death". If I wanted to learn about life and death, I'd watch The Lion King or Bambi. Death != cruelty/horror. (Necessarily, anyway.) There's enough of that on the news. I certainly wasn't expecting that scene, however dodgy the argument of own experience may be.

It has a flavour even so-called horror movies like Alien don't convey - a completely unanticipated, sudden, horrific death. If I was going to compare that scene with any one other scene in movies I've seen recently in regards to its emotional impact, I would say Pan's Labyrinth,
Spoiler:
where the one chap gets his head done in by a bottle.
It's just disturbing, period. Life and death, sure. But that sort of thing? No thanks.

(Edit - I should probably clarify... the rest of the violence in the movie truly doesn't bother me one bit.)

Trademark Overuser™
Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 PM   #15
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

We didn't have a television

I used to pretend that we did by asking the other kids if they'd seen "that great episode of The Dukes of Hazzard last night." Unfortunately, I didn't realize that such shows ran one night per week only and not every night, until my friend Troy pointed this out and I was busted.

...but I was a fan of SpeedRacer and Ren and Stimpy in college if that counts....
Old 05-02-2007, 04:39 AM   #16
tsa
Playing character

I loved Bear Colargol and De Fabeltjeskrant when I was young.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #17
The Major Grubert.

Anyone for Beany and Cecil?

Wow. Don't miss the reference to "gay and carefree customers".

For you punks, this shit is from the 50s.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:53 AM   #18
Doctor Watson

Quote:
I felt I needed to watch some children cartoons I worshiped while I was growing up. To my big suprise you can watch them on youtube.

Alfred J. Kwack is one of the best (if not THE best) cartoon-series I have ever seen. The first six episodes are available at youtube (but only in german).
I always truly loathed it. It caused me a lot of anxiety and the people - or ducks or whatever - were so stupid. And it was so cruel. And it had this awful theme song...

I hated it how the kinds couldn't sing in rhythm (it bothered me less that they couldn't always hit the right notes). And this horrible song I had already forgotten.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:11 AM   #19
Doctor Watson

Now that I think about it, my family tended to enjoy everything others didnt enjoy. For example, there was a program called Naurun Paikka with terrible Finnish home videos and a funny host. I liked the jokes of the host but everybody else I talked to always liked the home videos more. (There's nothing more stupid than home videos imo.)
Old 05-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #20
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie View Post
(There's nothing more stupid than home videos imo.)
Agreed. Why people got so obsessed over that Pamela Anderson home video, I'll never know.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena