You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The Prom- Did You Go?

View Poll Results: Describe Your Prom Experience
I went, and it was great! 6 15.38%
I went, and it was lame. 4 10.26%
I didn't go, but wish I had. 4 10.26%
I didn't go, and didn't miss it a bit. 12 30.77%
Prom? What prom? 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #21
merely human

I did not go. It never even occured to me to consider going. I hibernated socially, intellectually, and emotionally in high school, which helped guard me against what I consider the cruelest years of my youth. I wanted nothing to do with any of the other students, the sports jocks, the cheerleaders, honour students, popular types, nerds, rebels, and everyone else. I didn't even attend my graduation. Never regretted it, primarily because I knew I had very strong personality that would never fit into any kind of group and I was destined to reveal it later, when it would be better appreciated.

I was saving all of myself for art college, where I finally came out of my shell.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #22
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

My schools have arranged "proms" every year since Secondary school. I went once in the three years of secondary school, and never again. Haven't had any reason, or wish to go.

I think schools here in norway also arrange a sort of prom the last year in high school, but it's not that big of a deal. The "Russe" celebration is much more important to ppl. graduating..

(Since I'm taking high school as a privatist (I study by myself, and take the exams at the school), I won't be able to go to any such parties anyway..)

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 01-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #23
Friendly Server Admin

I didn't go to any school function I could avoid. I didn't like about >70% of my class, so I didn't really want to hang out with them any more than the school required me to.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 AM   #24
Schoolgirl From Hell

My prom was great. We girls made a lot of noises talking and giggling and ignoring our dates who sat by looking bored. Food was great. I even had an allergy attack because of the chemical they put in the smoke effect for the night performance. Sad thing was they didn't have digital cam at that time and I didn't have many pictures. All in all it was good.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 01-17-2007, 04:19 AM   #25
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

They didn't have any proms when I was at school. I probably wouldn't have gone if they had. Actually, its possible there was one but I wasn't aware of it.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
I've never heard of a real-life prom before now, so I've always figured it was some sort of American cultural thing that only had any significance in movies and stories.
Hehe me too, something that featured mainly in 80's movies and had since sort of died out.

Anyway, no prom here, so I didn't go.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #27
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Hehe, seems like the only people on these forums who went to the prom are girls. Interesting...
Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #28
Live Slow Die Old

There was a prom?
Old 01-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #29
Roar?

I didn't go to my prom for a few reasons: There was no way I could have afforded to buy a prom dress, I despised everyone in my school, and I thought proms were stupid.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #30
Unreliable Narrator

Random bit of trivia: my prom dress (which was actually a long black skirt and a nice-ish black tank top) ended up costing about $150 CAD. And I always lamented that if it were possible for me to just rent a dress for the day, I would have done so. Why is it that there only exist tux rental services? It's sexist, I tells ya!

Though, come to think of it, I'd look kind of cute in a tux.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #31
merely human

You could've worn a tux, and then balanced it off with a beautiful pair of silk high heels in black or a jewel tone, and a silk purse. Verrrry Yves Saint Laurent 'Le Smoking'.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #32
Unreliable Narrator

That's definitely a stunning visual. Maybe I'll wear that for my wedding. Provided I can find a man who looks good in a dress, that is.

Also, I'd probably have to learn to walk in high heels. And find a pair that can accomodate my wide feet.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #33

I guess I'm one of the very few who went to mine and actually enjoyed it without getting too drunk (why are there no laughing smilies?)

It's not that big of a deal - you're not missing anything...just a lot of dressing up and dancing (it's just a fancy dance, really).
Old 01-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #34

And I thought I was antisocial.

The cliques at my high school weren't all that bad especially towards the latter years. There were the slacker-nerds, the bookworms, the jocks, although the divisions weren't all that sharp. And probably some other cliques, especially in the early years.

The faculty on the other hand, they were fucking sadists.

I still didn't go to any school functions though, including graduation.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #35
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meche View Post
Why are there no laughing smilies?
There is one, but it has to be typed in manually. Try asterisk D...like this:

Share the love.

<3
Old 01-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
There is one, but it has to be typed in manually. Try asterisk D...like this:

Thanks, Sage!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #37
merely human

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Old 01-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #38
kamikaze hummingbirds

Ha ha ho!

Old 01-25-2007, 02:36 AM   #39
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

No...I didn't go to any of the proms...At my school, each prom was sponsored by a school club, and proceeds from the prom went to that group. I was one of those seriously nerdy girls (still am!). I didn't date and spent all my time with the Chess Club, Latin Club, and Science Club. I worked at every prom, but I never went. But...just like Melanie, no one ever asked me and I would never have had the courage to go by myself. I'd have been a terrified wall flower the whole night. But aside from that, by the time I was that age (16, 17) school life had begun to chafe...I really couldn't wait to get away and start "real life"...the prom just didn't seem as important as the prospect of going away to college and being able to reinvent myself. After a few years in the same place, people get an image of you which might or might not fit who you really are...I guess I was looking forward to getting out from under the onus of expectation. If, however, I had planned to lead a more provincial life- stay in that town, get a job, not go to college, not go traveling, marry some local boy, have lots of kids etc- not being asked to the prom would probably have been a bigger blow.